Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you bring your expensive mando to the bluegrass festival?

Default Do you bring your expensive mando to the bluegrass festival?

My wife and I were just discussing bringing my mandolin to Telluride this summer. Specifically, leaving it in the car/camper while we go into the venue. Does everyone do this? Or is this a time where having an inexpensive “campfire” mandolin comes in handy?
    Chris from Tucson
    2007 Heiden Artist F5 #F102
    1919 Gibson A3 #49762 (found on eBay for $15!!)
    2022 Austin Clark Octave #159
    1922 Gibson H1 Mandola #70063
    1972 Martin D-18 (modified by Bryan Kimsey)
    2024 Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

Default Re: Do you bring your expensive mando to the bluegrass festival?

People are different. Whatever choice you make, others will choose differently.

Make yourself comfortable and happy.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill McCall For This Useful Post:

If you can park in the shade, their summertime temps aren’t terrible (we’re routinely in the 90s with humidity here in NC), and you can hide it, it’s probably fine. If there’s no shade and it gets hot, then my “baby” stays home and the Eastman 315 (which I bought for just such occasions) gets the nod. Even then, I don’t think I could leave it in the car if there’s no shade. If you wouldn’t be willing to sit in the car all day with no A/C, then the mandolin probably shouldn’t, either.
    Chuck

5. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

Astro 

I haven't been to any festivals but I do camp here in Missouri in the summer, and hot cars are always a serious problem for wooden instruments. It's amazing how hot a car can get in a sunny parking lot while you're eating or shopping.
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post

I agree with this 1000%.

Will add that even with a "campfire mando" you'll want to be careful about heat, so that's sort of covered anyway. And as an observation, I've seen many people over the years start going to festivals and camps with "campfire mandolins" in lieu of their better ones, only to start bringing their better ones later anyway because they sound better and work better jamming.

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    If you can park in the shade, their summertime temps aren’t terrible (we’re routinely in the 90s with humidity here in NC), and you can hide it, it’s probably fine. If there’s no shade and it gets hot, then my “baby” stays home and the Eastman 315 (which I bought for just such occasions) gets the nod. Even then, I don’t think I could leave it in the car if there’s no shade. If you wouldn’t be willing to sit in the car all day with no A/C, then the mandolin probably shouldn’t, either.
    Good common sense, but for the OP, average high temp in Telluride in June is 68 degrees. Other considerations of course if one wants to bring their nice instrument, but “too hot” isn’t one of them.

9. The following members say thank you to Mike Martin for this post:

I've been redefining what a beater should be. It used to be something like my MIchael Kelly. Now, I'm thinking I really should have an Ellis, and my beater should be an old Flatiron or F5G, maybe with a repaired crack or two and a bunch of dings, you know, something someone else dragged to festivals for twenty or so years.

Seriously, I find that my little trailer stays way cooler than a car. Has to be really hot before I'd worry.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I take my good mandolin with me (good to me anyway) to festivals. I just carry it around with me instead of leaving it in the tent or car. Yeah it can be a bother at times or conversation starter other times. I have been invited to jams and such because I have the mandolin with me.

Blog Entries

All bets are off if outside temperatures are over 115F.

Most larger campers and RVs will stay cool enough during the summer to keep instruments inside in the shade, especially if vents and windows are open. Also having a fan running inside is even better.

The passenger areas of most cars will not stay cool enough, even with windows cracked. Trunks are much worse.

Most glues begin to let loose at 130F, most cars reach 150+F within an hour during a clear day in the summer sun.

If I take a good instrument with me to a festival in our car, I carry it with me wherever I go and I seek shade.

I've watched in horror along with the rest of the band as the top seam let loose on a band mate's Martin D-28 in the direct sun on a beautiful but hot summer day. It does happen. If you do see seams beginning to let loose on your instrument while you're playing it, the first thing to do is get it out of the sun, the second thing to do is loosen the strings. The third thing to do is take it to a highly qualified repair person.

And that's just glue issues with heat. Finishes and bindings can also do awful things when they get hot.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Outside temp can be low even in low 60,s and the temp in a car in the sun can rise to the 140 to 170 degree from the greenhouse effect. The trunk will be several degrees cooler but glues can release as low as 135 or so. I used a thermal enclosure in my trunk which kept temp below 80 deg even the hottest day in the sun. If no enclosure, then a white or light color case (or a silver case cover) and pack it with you. I always took my Heiden with mw to festivals
    Dave
    Heiden A, '52 Martin D-18, Taylor 510, Carlson Custom A with Electronics

These little beauties are meant to be played and shared. If you have a financial concern about damage or theft, get insurance through Clarion, Heritage, or one of the other inland marine carriers. While I would be awfully upset if something happened to any of my instruments, it would pale in comparison to leaving one unplayed because I was afraid it might get lost or damaged.

15. The following members say thank you to Mark Seale for this post:

I should be good as far as temperatures go. I have a camper where I can crack a window and leave the fan on (like Mike said...average temp is 68 degrees in Telluride).

I guess I'm really talking about the theft issue. Leaving a $10k+ (I'm currently looking @ a Heiden Artist) in my camper when I'm away. As Bill mentioned, I will be "happy" picking at the campground but might not be completely "comfortable" being away from such an expensive instrument. It wouldn't take a crook long to see someone playing something nice and then notice that they didn't take it with them when they leave for the venue for the day.
    Chris from Tucson
    2007 Heiden Artist F5 #F102
    1919 Gibson A3 #49762 (found on eBay for $15!!)
    2022 Austin Clark Octave #159
    1922 Gibson H1 Mandola #70063
    1972 Martin D-18 (modified by Bryan Kimsey)
    2024 Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

I tend to take my best and am careful with it.

If leaving in car, I do this:

Crack windows
    Tape to inside glass (windows, back window, windshield) properly-sized cut-out cardboard inserts. You'd be amazed how cool the inside cabin stays, even under a blazing sun. Plus, it thwarts prying eyes...
    Never leave in trunk

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post

Some great posts here, a lot of helpful tips from those who have been there, done that. That leads back to post #2.

I take my Buckeye everywhere. I baby it, but I take it everywhere. Did the same with my Bruce Weber Flatiron that I had for 20 years. Maybe I’ve just been lucky, but no signs of temp or humidity damage.
    I guess Bill took his everywhere; even his pen knife and fireplace poker didn’t kill it.

Bob

20. The following members say thank you to re simmers for this post:

I would take what I wanted but definitely carry it with me. Trailers are easy to see when you’re not home and notoriously easy to break into. Furthermore, speaking from experience, it can get hot in a closed trailer and I had a bridge pop off after leaving an instrument for a few hours.

Blog Entries

Take it and be careful or leave it and spend the week wishing you had it there to play. imo

23. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

Buy a large cooler and leave it empty except the mandolin. It should keep it cooler than heat inside a vehicle. Even a camper can get hot with windows open. If curtains are closed that will help, 68 degrees will heat a car with windows open to 120 degrees in 20 minutes. I was moving and had a thermometer on the floorboards and had that happen in those circumstances.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Another one who says do what you feel comfortable doing. After years of worry, I got rid of my expensive (to me) guitars and have more modest instruments that I don't worry about.

Have friends that have taken Ferns and other very expensive instruments to festivals without a second thought. Minnesota festivals can get below freezing in June and 90's for the August festival.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Gray View Post
    I should be good as far as temperatures go. I have a camper where I can crack a window and leave the fan on (like Mike said...average temp is 68 degrees in Telluride).

I guess I'm really talking about the theft issue. Leaving a $10k+ (I'm currently looking @ a Heiden Artist) in my camper when I'm away. As Bill mentioned, I will be "happy" picking at the campground but might not be completely "comfortable" being away from such an expensive instrument. It wouldn't take a crook long to see someone playing something nice and then notice that they didn't take it with them when they leave for the venue for the day.
    I have never been to Telluride but does it have a history of vehicle break ins and stolen instruments? I have attended only a couple of smaller festivals in the south east and never once thought about someone breaking into my vehicle to steal an instrument.

And yes I bring my best (only) instruments with me when I go to festivals.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

I was at Telluride in 2007. It was super hot. It melted the rosin in my fiddle's case even though I was super careful about keeping things in the shade. I was there for the band contest and had access to the instrument check(not sure if it is provided for everyone). During one of the hot days, I took off my Teva sandals and sat under a shade tent while leaving them in the sun...they melted and delaminated.
    If you're arriving from low elevations, knows that the altitude and increased solar radiation will affect you and you instruments severely.
    Have fun!
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Maybe there's an instrument check station like at Wintergrass.
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

I do, but I never let it leave my hands. If I go to the bathroom, it's between my legs. I will put it in a less expensive, lighter case to ease the burden of carrying it all day.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to f5loar For This Useful Post:

i take my refinished gibson snake head to festivals or faires. i call it the world's best busking mandolin. it is solid, sturdy and if it gets some damage, well it was refinished once, i can do it again if need be. it is loud, projects and is fine for the road.i do carry it with me, i have a back pack rig for the case. i wouldn't take a perfect pristine favourite. before i had the gibson i used to take a decent japanese mandolin. for guitar, it depends on the venue. if really rough i take a yamaha fg 180 , old red label. it is so ugly it scares people, but it plays great. if a little better i have a nice japanese lowden or a local hand made dread--which was a second run with finish flaws, but sounds good.