Thread: Info on Stiver

Default Info on Stiver

Hi!

Does anyone have any information on these beautiful Stiver “40th Anniversary” F Models?
    Did he make more than one?
    I'm a HUGE fan of Lou's mandolins and would love to hear about these from someone who owns one, or has tried one. Here is an example of one that The Music Emporium had in stock not long ago...

Thanks ya'll!
    Dem

https://themusicemporium.com/new-arr...5#&gid=1&pid=4

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-03-16 at 9.54.13 PM.png 
Views:	210 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	175445
    Last edited by Demetrius; Mar-16-2019 at 11:56pm.

Default Re: Info on Stiver

No one?

Demitrius:

I know nothing about that particular model of Stiver mandolins. Every Stiver I've played has been a great bluegrass Mandolin, and I wish I'd bought an 80's A model vs a Collings 15 years ago. However, Steve or Raymond at Acoustic Music Works in Pittsburgh seem to have a great deal of contact with Lou Stiver and can probably answer your questions. They have a torrified F5 on their website now:

https://www.acousticmusicworks.com/p...ns?make=stiver

Hope this helps.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Um. . . You can also just call Lou.

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

email address on his website.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

I would love to talk to more people who own these...

I spoke to Lou and what a nice person that guy is.
    He's kind of a genius...

Hi Demetrius - I own a Stiver and love it. Did you happen by chance to purchase the 40th Anniversary? Do you remember what TME was asking for it?

Sorry for re-hashing a month old post everybody. I just happen to be looking for one of these. I know only a dozen or so Fs were made for the 40th Anniversary edition, so it looks like my opportunity may have slipped by.

Quote Originally Posted by LMF View Post
    Sorry for re-hashing a month old post everybody.
    A month old post? 'Round here people routinely revive decade old threads. It is quite funny when they don't even realize that the cafe member they think they are talking to has not posted for years...

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vetus scotia For This Useful Post:

Or you post to a thread you've posted to three times before.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Br1ck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vetus scotia View Post
    A month old post? 'Round here people routinely revive decade old threads. It is quite funny when they don't even realize that the cafe member they think they are talking to has not posted for years...
    Fair enough. It’s been a while since I’ve been on myself so maybe it’s me that feels out of place and not the post.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

How about this 44th Anniversary model?

https://www.elderly.com/collections/...ian-spruce-top
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    How about this 44th Anniversary model?

https://www.elderly.com/collections/...ian-spruce-top
    Awesome instrument. Already have one though.

The 40th Anniversary is made with a one piece back of 100 year old maple with the craziest grain. Maybe one day one will show up in the classifieds...

Anyone have a guess whether the one at Elderly now is varnish or lacquer, and what is the nut width?

I am fairly certain that all Stivers come with nitrocellulose lacquer finish. Can’t help you with the nut width other than saying that mine is 1-1/8” and is his standard spec.

Nitro lacquer. But call them about nut width. My Stiver is 1-1/16 and has a flat fretboard - not his usual. That looks like an intriguing mandolin with its torrefied top.

Could be a lot of mandolin for the money, wonder whether anyone here has played it.

My Stiver has that same torrefied Carpathian top. Acoustic Music Works, who sells the lions share of Lou Stiver’s mandolins, thinks that the torrefied Carpathian is their favorite top on his mandolins. Lou’s wood supplier isn’t getting any more of these tops so it looks like any future Stivers will have Adirondack.

Stiver has a great reputation for making some mean bluegrass machines. You’re not going to find many mandolins in this price range that outperform them.

Quote Originally Posted by LMF View Post
    My Stiver has that same torrefied Carpathian top. Acoustic Music Works, who sells the lions share of Lou Stiver’s mandolins, thinks that the torrefied Carpathian is their favorite top on his mandolins. Lou’s wood supplier isn’t getting any more of these tops so it looks like any future Stivers will have Adirondack.

Stiver has a great reputation for making some mean bluegrass machines. You’re not going to find many mandolins in this price range that outperform them.
    Nice. Along with being a mean bluegrass machine how do you like yours for balance, tone, single note playing?

I believe my Stiver is well balanced from note to note. Now, mine is still a little green and even with a torrified top it still needs a little more breaking in. Even so, it still sounds good across the register.

If you're thinking of picking this one up, you might want to consider talking to Steve at Acoustic Music Works. He has this same mandolin with the torrefied Carpathian top. Only exception is that his has a flat fretboard like twangdog's. He can tell you more than you'll need to know about these mandolins and he might even have a couple coming in soon with different specs that might be more to your liking.

If you can find the listing for their Stiver on Reverb there is a video for you to hear what it sounds like.

Hope this helps.

I own the 40th anniversary A model. Pretty sure it is the only one. The 40th anniversary models sound fuller to me and they have the beautiful quilted one piece backs. I am looking to switch to an F model so would be willing to part with this beauty for a good price if anyone is interested 🙂

Quote Originally Posted by pbstrings View Post
    I own the 40th anniversary A model. Pretty sure it is the only one. The 40th anniversary models sound fuller to me and they have the beautiful quilted one piece backs. I am looking to switch to an F model so would be willing to part with this beauty for a good price if anyone is interested ��
    You’re correct. There was only 1 A model made for the 40th Anniversary series. 13 F’s, 1 A, and 1 2 Point.

I already called dibs on a 40th F, buddy.