Thread: Wow

Default Wow

Another amazing offer from Ken Ratcliff in the classifieds. Thinking of moving up from that Eastman 305 or 505?

No financial interest, just a fan boy.
    Last edited by Br1ck; Mar-16-2019 at 3:13pm.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Default Re: Wow

Brick: Wow.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Brick, I've heard great things about Ken's mandolins, but never heard one. How would you describe his typical sound?

Its amazing that he will send it with no money down.....

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/136775#136775

NFI
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

5. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

I so wish I had the spare cash, but it’s a no go at the moment. He’s got the 2018 AND a 2007 for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by A-board View Post
    Brick, I've heard great things about Ken's mandolins, but never heard one. How would you describe his typical sound?
    Silverangels have the richest sounding low end of anything I've played. Mine is redwood topped, so I would imagine that contributes some, but a rich G is a design goal. So it is on the warmer end of the spectrum. There are a few YouTube videos of bluegrass players ripping it up. I'm told my mandolin is in one of them, but two are played so I don't have a clue which it is. Check out the vids.

I'm guessing the sending mandolins to people is working out since he keeps doing it.

He does an amazing relicing job too, from mild to wild. Mine is aged somewhere in between. As I've said before, I took mine into Gryphon and played it next to the Collings and Northfield fare, and it was purely subjective as to what you might like. The classifieds A looks to be fully bound with the script logo. For what he's asking you could not go wrong.

A Northfield F5S is brighter, the Big Mon is closer to the SA flavor if you might have played those. Collings has a warmer version of bright than Northfield. But an MT is close to double the cost, with the other Collings As even more than that so that SA is a value hard to beat. I went from my Eastman MD505 to my SA and the tone improvement was huge.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Wow.
    I’m living the way he finished the headstock.
    Doc Ivory
    -Play loud, live long..