Thread: Gibson Mandocello - A Beauty from the 20's

Default Gibson Mandocello - A Beauty from the 20's

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	53860976_10217773732352637_2677735083388960768_n.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	175430Click image for larger version. 

Name:	53799324_10217773731472615_8257912798017748992_n.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	112.4 KB 
ID:	175431

I had the opportunity to sit down with this lovely instrument today while hanging with the guys at the Mandolin Store. There were a handful of 'If I had the Means" instruments during this visit, but this one was the showstopper.

It was one of those instruments that you feel the warmth and goodness to your core as you play it.

When you are used to a mandolin a cello can be a chore to play, but this one was easy to fret, and every note sang a good song.
    Last edited by Gerry Cassidy; Mar-15-2019 at 9:46pm.

2. The following members say thank you to Gerry Cassidy for this post:

Default Re: Gibson Mandocello - A Beauty from the 20's

Yummy.

4. The following members say thank you to NotMelloCello for this post:

Some of those old Gibson mandocellos are really something special. When I lived in Seattle last year, they had a Gibson K1 in for a few weeks. I went to the store three times just to sit and play it for an hour or two. It was really a lovely instrument. Too fun.

Thanks for sharing!
    1940 Gibson L-4T
    2016 Martin TEN515
    2018 Poe Scout #76

6. The following members say thank you to MoreThanQuinn for this post:

I felt that way with my K2 as well. But I fell for the luscious curves of a K4 and traded up. To be honest there's not a whole lot of difference in the tone and playing, although the price was almost three times more. If you decided to buy the K2 (not clear from your post) I'm the guy who put together a collection of solo mandocello music for CMSA. Let me know--it will make you appreciate and show off your instrument even more.
    Jim

8. The following members say thank you to Jim Imhoff for this post:

Thanks for the offer, Jim. I'd love to take you up on it, but unfortunately any funds that would have allowed me to bring this one home are going away next month, right around the 15th.

They also have a new Weber K5 cello (new version with a dovetail neck joint) at the store and I was able to A/B the two. The K4 was nice, but it was obvious, to me anyway, it is going to need a few years of play before it can match up with the Gibson.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Cassidy View Post
    Thanks for the offer, Jim. I'd love to take you up on it, but unfortunately any funds that would have allowed me to bring this one home are going away next month, right around the 15th.

They also have a new Weber K5 cello (new version with a dovetail neck joint) at the store and I was able to A/B the two. The K4 was nice, but it was obvious, to me anyway, it is going to need a few years of play before it can match up with the Gibson.
    Weber K-4 or K-5?

If it was a K-5 (i.e., f-holes) it will never sound the same as an oval hole K-1, 2 or 4. These are different beasts -- I have had both oval and f-hole mandocellos for a long time and they just sound different.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Gerry, the sheet music was offered by the composers, and was given out at the conference. No expense there, some selections were even posted here in the cafe. Give me your email address and I'll send the pack. The conventions can be expensive of course, travel, hotel, and registration.

12. The following members say thank you to Jim Imhoff for this post:

In looking at he pictures of this instrument, it looks to me like there are numerous water stains on the label and on the wood of the back around it. Does that give anybody else pause?
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    In looking at he pictures of this instrument, it looks to me like there are numerous water stains on the label and on the wood of the back around it. Does that give anybody else pause?
    I would be concerned if buying from a distance.

Name:	998C047A-91B9-43DD-9427-8DF898DCB4D0.jpeg 
Views:	118 
Size:	187.2 KB 
ID:	175461

Name:	6DB3133A-252E-40F3-B9C1-E626614B9E31.jpeg 
Views:	90 
Size:	139.2 KB 
ID:	175462

But somebody else jumped on the chance to get a Loar era mandocello with an adjustable truss rod. It is now marked as sold.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

I could see the staining being a concern just from pics, but it's a non-issue.

The piece has it's battle-scars just from being around so long, but as for play-ability and tone, it was one of the nicest cellos I've ever played.

My money is on whoever bought it being a happy camper.