Thread: Gold Tone Mandocello

Default Gold Tone Mandocello

I couldn't resist the price on the shop worn Gold Tone Mandocello at Elderly so here it is.
    I think this particular one anyway seems decent, and the price was hard to beat. Leaning more towards a solid body guitar, great for anyone thinking of getting into Mandocello without shelling out for the high end models. It is surprisingly easy to play and has a warm electric tone. It sounds pretty good acoustic but I am running it straight through a Fishman Loudbox mini with a little reverb. After jamming around, I thought I would take a stab at Nancy Blakes' "In Russia we have parking lots too". I of course had some 'splainin to do to my wife that I in fact bought yet another mandocello, she is still talking to me...

Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

2. The following members say thank you to tmsweeney for this post:

derbex 

Default Re: Gold Tone Mandocello

Great to see the mandocello community expanding-- and great playing! I have posted several other places, but in case you haven't seen it I have a collection of solo mandocello music, written specifically for that great plucking instrument. Let me know if you're interested, and if you're not a member of CMSA we'd love to have you in the MC section.
    jim

As a follow up the A was always buzzing open which was a severe limitation, I went to change the strings and it only got worse, I did have to shim the nut ( it has a 0 fret) but only on the DA side, I raised the action until the buzzing disappeared, put Elixer Polyweb 80/20's on. I purchased Elixer baritone strings for the C (0.70) but haven't put them on yet. Still very playable though the action is noticeable at the first fret.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

As a follow up the A was always buzzing open which was a severe limitation, I went to change the strings and it only got worse, I did have to shim the nut ( it has a 0 fret) but only on the DA side, I raised the action until the buzzing disappeared, put Elixer Polyweb 80/20's on. I purchased Elixer baritone strings for the C (0.70) but haven't put them on yet. Still very playable though the action is noticeable at the first fret.
    I owned one of the first GoldTone Mandocello's in the country, and the action at the nut was very high. It did not have a zero fret, it was equipped with a Zero Glide nut which are a very poor design. I have 40 plus years at the bench as a guitar repairman, so I know what I'm talking about (see my thread about my Gold Tone elsewhere here).

If you have an zero fret raising the nut will do nothing. I expect you needed to adjust the truss rod which is overbowed, OR there was a high fret which should have been looked at by a competent and experienced luthier. Does it play out of tune? That would be the result if the action is still too high at the nut end - you are sharping the strings at both ends when you play.

Thanks Not Mello cello, the gold tone plays in tune and no buzzing, but the action while noticeable, however is not too bad, before I shimmed the nut, fretting the first fret had no affect but the second sounded fine ( only the A strings), so I assumed it was hitting that first fret.
    What I noticed about the gold tone and my Ratliff- while the scale is the same, the Ratliff has much narrower fret board and neck, reducing some of the stretch. On that subject the Ratliff is buzzing on the A string 8th fret only which I assume is needing a trss rod adjustment?
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

Probably.... But it could be a single high or low fret.