Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: D'Addario Strings - Ask Us Anything

Default Re: D'Addario Strings - Ask Us Anything

Quote Originally Posted by D'Addario Strings View Post
    Hello everyone!

Kyle here from the fretted D'Addario product development and management team. I wanted to create a thread where everyone and anyone can ask any questions or leave any comments they might have about our mandolin strings or accessories.

I'll do my best to answer everyone, but please be patient as I still also have to work today I'm looking forward to hearing from you all!

-Kyle
    I have recently acquired an A style mandolin built like an early Gibson.
    The tailpiece has "studs" or T shaped Posts that you hook the strings over.
    My problem is that the E strings unravel when I tune them up??
    Using DAdarrio Medium weight Phosphor Bronze strings.
    My other Mandolins all have studs and hooks which seem to anchor the strings better, as they go around a right angle and wedge themselves into the hook.
    I am about to solder the twisted wires at the loop end so they dont unravel when I crank on the pressure.
    Bit worried about what the heat will do to the temper of the strings.
    Does anyone have any experience with this type of anchor?
    Will heat damage the strings?
    How else can I secure the strings so the twist doesnt pull out.

Greetings Kyle,

I have used D'Addario strings for as long as I have played mandolin. This is the first time that I have encountered a problem. I use the Nickel Bronze Medium Heavy. When I opened the package the "E" strings were fused together at the loop. Please see picture below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0337.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	376.8 KB 
ID:	177389

Please advise.

Thanks

Peter Cook

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Bumping this thread to ask about the new XT D'Addar. mandolin strings.

How exactly do you measure that the "strings stay in tune 131% better..."
    What does that mean exactly? Does better mean "longer" or something else?
    And by 131% better, do you really mean 'more that twice as much' better (longer?)?

Thanks,
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

I'd like to think they are using plain English, whatever they mean by "better" (I assume longer). That is, for every hour of the other brand, you get an additional hour and 18 minutes from XT's. 100% + 131% = 231%.
    Some might think 131% better means 31% more. If that were so in this case it would be false advertising.

I’m sure that this has been asked before, but, is there any chance of getting monel guitar strings from D’Addario? I’ve got an old jazz box that is crying out for them.

I know that Martin makes these, but they barely reach from tailpiece to tuners

Not sure if Kyle has left the building but:
    Are XTs like Ejs that stay in tune better and last longer or are they designed to have different tonal qualities?
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV View Post
    I'd like to think they are using plain English, whatever they mean by "better" (I assume longer). That is, for every hour of the other brand, you get an additional hour and 18 minutes from XT's. 100% + 131% = 231%.
    Some might think 131% better means 31% more. If that were so in this case it would be false advertising.
    Yes. That was my point. More than doubling the usefulness of a string is pretty amazing, if not almost unbelievable.
    Phil

Hello Kyle -
    What D’Addario string set could serve as a replacement for Thomastik #154 Mittels with special regard to having a similar tension? Thank you!

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

I'm betting Kyle intended this to a short run thread and didn't expect to be answering questions 6 months later or for the rest of his life LOL.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

My mandolin is an Eastman F-style Oval hole. I want a strong clear crisp sound intended for classical music. Can you suggest the best (price not an object here) strings from D'Addario that would give me this sound profile and where to order them on the internet? I like heavy strings.

Calvin De Beverly

Question Re: D'Addario Strings - Ask Us Anything

the wound A in the FT set what did you have in mind for the playing style??
    I've never had more than a Day before it broke..

Bene Sugg : a 10 string set, buyer needs spare wound A's (or just include 2 plain A and player can choose which A they prefer..)
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Thank you for your generosity.

Would you do an electric mandolin set? (Or do you?) could it be in sets of four rather than eight as an option?

Thanks again
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Why did you get rid of the EXP74 strings? My dealer told me they were discontinued. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

14. The following members say thank you to Bob Buckingham for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    the wound A in the FT set what did you have in mind for the playing style??
    I've never had more than a Day before it broke..

Bene Sugg : a 10 string set, buyer needs spare wound A's (or just include 2 plain A and player can choose which A they prefer..)
    I love the sound, but with me the 2nd course string windings break within a day or two of playing also... The windings are just too fine to withstand the constant wear-and-tear.

When I change strings I always replace my brand brand new FT wound 2nd course strings with brand new non-wound D'A strings of similar gauge. It's cheap, the sound is more consistent with the non-wound first course strings, and the strings don't break.

Would more people use FTs if this arrangement was available as a package?

FWIW, I never have this problem wiith the FT 4th or 3rd course strings (even with my alternate tuning), they sound great and they last for ages.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Somehow I missed this thread until yesterday and I finally finished scanning through the whole (5 page!) thread to see if my question had already been asked and answered. I did not see it, so here goes... but first some background:
    I've used J74 strings (now EJ74) as my standard set for years for both new builds and for set-up work on other makers mandolins. I like them. They perform well, last reasonably long (for most players) and generally are my favorite mandolin strings.
    Now, some more background: I don't remember where I first saw color coded string balls on guitar strings allowing the manufacturer to use less packing material (fewer string envelopes) which is a commendable thing to do. Not only does it save money but it reduces waste. I understand that reasoning. Obviously mandolin strings don't have string balls, so color coded ones can't be used... and that leads me, finally, to my question.

Isn't there some way to differentiate the strings of a mandolin set other those gummy color coded paper tabs? Every time I change a set of mandolin strings I become frustrated by trying to remove those tabs without kinking a string, and then cleaning the gum residue off of the loop winding portion of the strings. Does anyone else find this annoying? Any suggestions on an easy way to remove the tabs and clean up after them?

Thanks for starting this thread and thanks for any consideration your company might extend toward this seemingly minor but seriously frustrating problem.

17. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

OK, what am I missing? I have been using these strings for years and I've never had a gummy paper tab, I've just had string envelopes. Are we talking bulk strings?
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Not bulk strings, sets of EJ74s. The little gummy tabs are a way to differentiate string gauges while also reducing the cost and waste of labeled string envelopes. The strings are coiled inside a single, sealed clear plastic bag/envelope.
    (Personally, I can easily tell the string gauges apart with no labeling or tabbing, but I fully realize that some of those less experienced with installing strings can benefit from some sort of labeling.)

D’Addario now packages all eight of the strings coiled in pairs in one sealed plastic envelope. I too have a hard time taking off the gummy colored paper tabs without bending or kinking the unwound strings. It’s fairly easy to tell the strings apart without any help but if D’Addario really thinks it’s necessary some other method of distinguishing the strings would be helpful. Edit: I was typing the above when John’s post came through-sorry about the duplication.

Does this mean I can sell all my old sets for a premium?

I hate to ask when this started? I have a lot of strings.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I play for an hour or so most days.

Have had the XT 11.4-40 for a couple weeks now. They sound way better than when new. I'm planning to keep them on for months. Liking them better than I thought I would. Have them on the same F5 Gibson that I find I really like the Monels too.

The little paper tags don't bother me at all. Not sure how they would cause the string to kink. I just rip or cut them off with a little swiss army knife's scissors. I hold the string on one hand and pull or cut the tabs off with the other.

Never noticed much residue. But even if there is some it's down there under the tailpiece cover anyway.

PS:I'm red/green color blind. I don't rely on my ability to tell colors. If in doubt about the strings gauge I just use some calipers to measure them.

Quote Originally Posted by V70416 View Post
    ...Never noticed much residue. But even if there is some it's down there under the tailpiece cover anyway...
    Some superior tailpieces don't have or need covers.

Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    ..[re EJ74s]..... Any suggestions on an easy way to remove the tabs and clean up after them?
    I had the same problem with the colored tabs the first time I used them.

Then I tried: 1) unroll the string completely, 2) hold the loop with my left hand, 3)grasp the extended part of the gummy tabs and pull the tab down the entire length of the string till it's off. The gum lets go of the string immediately when you do this.

If there's any small amount of remaining gumminess on the twisted part of the string, my James tailpiece hides it completely. Works for me anyway.

P.S. I don't think D'Addario is coming back to answer questions... ?
    Phil

25. The following members say thank you to Phil Goodson for this post:

DougC 

I remove the tabs the same way as the last poster, no problems to date, and I've been using their strings for eons.

Quote Originally Posted by Philphool View Post
    ...1) unroll the string completely, 2) hold the loop with my left hand, 3)grasp the extended part of the gummy tabs and pull the tab down the entire length of the string till it's off...
    I thought of sliding the tabs the length of the string but I figured that would leave gum on the entire string. Looks like that is not a problem, but it still doesn't solve the problem of gum on the twisted part of the loop; the hardest part to clean. I now have to use a rag and a bottle of naphtha and meticulously clean each string before installing. It makes a string change take much longer. By the way, I clean the strings even when installing on mandolins with tailpieces that must have covers to look presentable and feel comfortable for the player, even though the cover hides the gummy mess.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunburst For This Useful Post:

I love D'Addario strings. I hate those sticky paper tags. I am hopeful that they will re-think that labeling method. And seriously; can't we just look at them or feel them and know which is which? I don't just find the tags annoying, I also don't find them very helpful.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

30. The following members say thank you to Bob Clark for this post: