Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: D'Addario Strings - Ask Us Anything

Default Re: D'Addario Strings - Ask Us Anything

Yeah, those paper tags are a pain, I can understand why they thought that would be a good way to identify and possibly save money but still. I do see their thought about identifying cause I'm sure someone has put the right string in the wrong place before.
    "Can I have a little more talent in the monitors please?"

2. The following members say thank you to Kevin K for this post:

I recently bought an Eastman 541 oval hole mandolin that is magnificent. The strings on it are .011, .015, .029, and .040. I would like to replace them with the same gauge strings but the D string is heavier than what I'm finding. It may even be .030. Can I get some advice on what string set so I don't affect the set up. I emailed the previous owner but as of yet have not received an answer.

Thanks
    Jerry

Blog Entries

Just dug my Gold Tone OM800+ octave mandolin out and played it this week. The strings sounded dead and lifeless. Not surprising, but I'm interested in something brighter, with more "cut" in a loud session. Getting that sound has been a big reason I've been playing standard A-style mandolin instead of the quieter octave. I usually put fairly light strings on it. Would heavier ones give me more punch? Or is there something like an Elixir coated string? I know those sounded brighter longer on my guitar. I mostly play Irish pub songs and chorded session accompaniment. Any advice appreciate.

TIA

How about a set of Monel mandolin strings in 11.5 16 26 40 like the "custom medium" XT set?

1. How long should sealed (unopened) strings last?
    I had sealed D'addario 0.010 and 0.011 high-carbon strings for a few years. When I opened them they all had black corrosion spots. Since then I am trying to buy only one set at a time, not letting strings lie around.
    2. Are the D and A strings in J97 Bouzouki Strings the same as 0.010 and 0.013 high-carbon string singles? Same question about the wound F and A regarding nickel plated singles.

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=sunburst;1738718]

Isn't there some way to differentiate the strings of a mandolin set other those gummy color coded paper tabs? Every time I change a set of mandolin strings I become frustrated by trying to remove those tabs without kinking a string, and then cleaning the gum residue off of the loop winding portion of the strings. Does anyone else find this annoying? Any suggestions on an easy way to remove the tabs and clean up after them?

Thanks for starting this thread and thanks for any consideration your company might extend toward this seemingly minor but seriously frustrating problem.[/QUOT

D'Addario could change the type of glue without too much fuss in manufacturing.

Remember jar labels that would come off in hot water? Now they won't come off with a blow torch. The brand is forever displayed in the city dump...forget recycling.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Buckingham View Post
    Why did you get rid of the EXP74 strings? My dealer told me they were discontinued. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
    damn right!

Can you tell us about the new Thile model casein picks, and availability?
    2020 Custom Weber Yellowstone F-20-F octave mandolin
    2019 Weber Yellowstone F-17 mandola
    2019 Custom Weber Diamondback F14-F
    2018 Custom Weber Yellowstone F14-0
    2016 Weber Octar

www.webermandolins.com/mandolin-artists/michael-eck

d'addy'o string labels? tear 'em off and wipe off any residue with naphtha ... you know, the lighter fluid ya use to keep yer strings clean in order to sound and intonate their bestest.
    Mandolins are truly *magic*!

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    d'addy'o string labels? tear 'em off and wipe off any residue with naphtha ... you know, the lighter fluid ya use to keep yer strings clean in order to sound and intonate their bestest.
    Didn't read my post did ya?
    Tearing those labels off without damaging the string and then having to clean the strings with naphtha are the reasons for the complaint.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunburst For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    Didn't read my post did ya?
    Tearing those labels off without damaging the string and then having to clean the strings with naphtha are the reasons for the complaint.
    use a blade on the labels.
    Mandolins are truly *magic*!

If they made the labels slightly longer, it would be real easy to just cut them off, maybe only .5” longer. I do realize that in a run of a million strings, with the labels at .25” wide, they’d use another ~1000 sq ft of paper. About 2 packs of computer paper.

If my math is right

Of course D’Addario hasn’t logged in for a while to review the thread.
    Last edited by Bill McCall; Nov-30-2019 at 2:59pm.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

I'll say it once more:

Unroll the strings with the loops facing left; then work with 2 strings at a time;
    hold the paper tab with your right hand and pull the entire lengths of the 2 strings THROUGH THE TAB with your left hand by pulling on the loops.
    They slide easily and have minimal if any adhesive on them.

No cutting; no cleaning.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

I guess ask us "anything" only lasted till May.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frankdolin View Post
    I guess ask us "anything" only lasted till May.
    Actually, we can still ask "anything".
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dhergert For This Useful Post:

Hi everyone!

Thanks for all of your continued questions. We have been very busy this year working on a lot of new, big product launches, including XT. Unfortunately, that hasn't left us with much free time to come in and check in on this thread. I honestly didn't expect this thread to stay engaged throughout the entire year!

I will try and go back through to pick up where I left off for the remaining questions, but in the mean time we are going to formally close this thread. If you have any questions you can always reach out to us through our customer support email here: https://www.daddario.com/contact-us/

If any of you will be at Wintergrass in 2020, please stop by our booth and say hello - I'll be happy to answer any questions in person at the show!

Signing off,
    Kyle from D'Addario

Quote Originally Posted by jonfranzis View Post
    I have recently acquired an A style mandolin built like an early Gibson.
    The tailpiece has "studs" or T shaped Posts that you hook the strings over.
    My problem is that the E strings unravel when I tune them up??
    Using DAdarrio Medium weight Phosphor Bronze strings.
    My other Mandolins all have studs and hooks which seem to anchor the strings better, as they go around a right angle and wedge themselves into the hook.
    I am about to solder the twisted wires at the loop end so they dont unravel when I crank on the pressure.
    Bit worried about what the heat will do to the temper of the strings.
    Does anyone have any experience with this type of anchor?
    Will heat damage the strings?
    How else can I secure the strings so the twist doesnt pull out.
    It's difficult to diagnose what the issue is without seeing the instrument, but it sounds like either the hooks or break angle from the tail piece is causing undue stress on the string. You can try our new XT strings which have a reinforced twist that should help with this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Toast View Post
    Greetings Kyle,

I have used D'Addario strings for as long as I have played mandolin. This is the first time that I have encountered a problem. I use the Nickel Bronze Medium Heavy. When I opened the package the "E" strings were fused together at the loop. Please see picture below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0337.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	376.8 KB 
ID:	177389

Please advise.

Thanks

Peter Cook
    Hey Peter,

That's an odd one - I've never seen that before. Get in touch with our Customer Service team and they should be able to sort you out with a new set. My guess is that these strings got stuck together during manufacturing and somehow made it into the envelope without someone noticing. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Philphool View Post
    Bumping this thread to ask about the new XT D'Addar. mandolin strings.

How exactly do you measure that the "strings stay in tune 131% better..."
    What does that mean exactly? Does better mean "longer" or something else?
    And by 131% better, do you really mean 'more that twice as much' better (longer?)?

Thanks,
    Philip,

The way we measure this is via a stress or torture test that our engineers designed. I'm going to link you to a video on youtube that shows you how the test was conducted. We mean that the string is more pitch stable, based on a cycle of strumming and bending (or stressing) the string. This video was shot for the NYXL launch, but our XT strings utilize the same core and plain steel wire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai8M00bOP-I

I hope this helps,
    Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Leyda View Post
    Not sure if Kyle has left the building but:
    Are XTs like Ejs that stay in tune better and last longer or are they designed to have different tonal qualities?
    XT is a proprietary treatment that we apply to wound and plain steel strings. The coating is extremely thin, so the idea behind the strings is that you get the benefits of a coated string without affecting the tone and feel of the string. We also utilize our NY Steel and Fusion twist technology which provide enhanced break strength and tuning stability.

Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by calvindebeverly View Post
    My mandolin is an Eastman F-style Oval hole. I want a strong clear crisp sound intended for classical music. Can you suggest the best (price not an object here) strings from D'Addario that would give me this sound profile and where to order them on the internet? I like heavy strings.

Calvin De Beverly
    My recommendation with money as no object would be XTM11541 - you can find them on most major online dealers, but check your local music shop too!

Quote Originally Posted by David Lewis View Post
    Thank you for your generosity.

Would you do an electric mandolin set? (Or do you?) could it be in sets of four rather than eight as an option?

Thanks again
    We sell single loop end strings that you could use to make up an electric mandolin set!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Buckingham View Post
    Why did you get rid of the EXP74 strings? My dealer told me they were discontinued. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
    We discontinued the majority of our EXP line with the launch of our new and improved coating process for XT. The only things that have changed between EXP and XT is that we're now able to coat ALL of the strings (including the plain ones) and the coating is now much thinner, which significantly reduces any affect on the tone and feel of the natural string. You're totally right, it wasn't broken, but we made it better anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
    Yeah, those paper tags are a pain, I can understand why they thought that would be a good way to identify and possibly save money but still. I do see their thought about identifying cause I'm sure someone has put the right string in the wrong place before.
    I fully hear you on this one - we're exploring other options that would help players identify string positions without bringing wasteful paper envelopes back.

Hi everyone!

Thanks for all of your continued questions. We have been very busy this year working on a lot of new, big product launches, including XT. Unfortunately, that hasn't left us with much free time to come in and check in on this thread. I honestly didn't expect this thread to stay engaged throughout the entire year!

I will try and go back through to pick up where I left off for the remaining questions, but in the mean time we are going to formally close this thread. If you have any questions you can always reach out to us through our customer support email here: https://www.daddario.com/contact-us/

If any of you will be at Wintergrass in 2020, please stop by our booth and say hello - I'll be happy to answer any questions in person at the show!

Signing off,
    Kyle from D'Addario