Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: D'Addario Strings - Ask Us Anything

Default Re: D'Addario Strings - Ask Us Anything

There's a rumor going around that you're developing a new pick for Chris Thile. Will it be available to us mere mortals and if so, when can we expect it? Anything else you can tell us about the pick (material, thickness, size, shape etc.)?
    Last edited by ikusan; May-11-2019 at 3:26am.

Hi everyone! We're still here and we will work on answering the open questions in the thread. The majority of my time and my teams time is dedicated to new product development and launches, which is why we haven't been checked in on this thread in a while - we're extremely busy developing new strings that we think you'll be very excited about.

To set expectations, I'll be checking in on this thread and responding to questions as time allows - if you have an urgent question you can contact our customer service department using the form on this page: http://daddario.com/DaddarioContactU...?ActiveID=3771

Now, on to your open questions...

Thanks!
    Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    do the monel strings use monel for the unwound E and A courses? Is monel appropriate for unwound strings?

I'm stuck on the EXP74cm strings. So, thanks for those!

Nice OP!

f-d
    The plain steel strings are tin plated, high carbon steel. Monel is a very soft alloy, so I'm not sure on it's integrity as a plain string under tension.

Glad you're enjoying the EXP74CMs!

Kyle

4. The following members say thank you to D'Addario Strings for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Daniels View Post
    Hi Alex,

I've played and loved D'Addario strings on a variety of instruments for decades. Since someone just mentioned stickers, this should give you an idea of how long it's been (I've posted these before):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Herd.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	392.2 KB 
ID:	175926 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wizard.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	493.4 KB 
ID:	175927

However, sometime last year I sent an email to playreal@daddario.com about some EXP74CM's I was concerned about in regards to counterfeiting but never heard back. It was my first set of non-guitar EXPs and even though I bought them through my preferred string vendor (a site also trusted by many Cafe members) and the strings seemed to perform as expected, the internal packaging looked unusual and I just wanted to check that I got what I paid for.

I have a feeling that they were likely a 'new old stock' set from about the time they were launched but had nothing to compare them to. I have another couple of unopened packs bought at the same time but for my last string change I went back to my usual EJ74's to see if I preferred them. It's time for another change and I'd like to try the EXPs again so this thread is perfect timing.

This thread may not be the place to rehash all the details so what is your recommendation?

Thank you,

Chris Daniels
    Hi Chris - certain sets come with different internal packaging, so they may look different than guitar packaging. In most cases it's generational.

If you suspect that you've received a counterfeit set of strings, you can use the Players Circle code (printed on the inner packaging) to register the product in our Players Circle website. If the product is authentic you'll receive loyalty points for registering it. If Player's Circle can't authenticate the product, you'll have the option of submitting a counterfeit report directly to us.

Hope this helps,
    Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by Philphool View Post
    Is it accurate that the EFT (Flattops) strings have a wound 2nd string?
    If so, I can't seem to find that information online. Do you have a link? Are singles available?
    Hi Phil - no the 2nd string, but the 2nd course (3rd and 4th string) are wound. Unfortunately, we do not offer flat wound mandolin singles but we are working towards being able to offer every string some time in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by BrentC View Post
    I want to say, this thread is a great idea. A really great way to connect with the community and let them have a direct line to the source.

I'm a longtime fan of D'Addario on my fiddle. I have a $50 Rogue mandolin that I got as a gift years ago, and frankly like the low-budget sound, for certain tunes. I don't recall what strings I have on that (bootlaces and barbwire, for all I know).

I have a custom AMW from Red Valley coming shortly. I am looking for a clean sound with some noticeable warmth - not muddy, but not punchy either. Some people would say "bright", but I'm not sure that means the same thing to me.

I play Irish traditional, almost exclusively, and always play melody with a lot of chords. I'm a medium speed and lifelong intermediate player, though I aspire to be the best mediocre player ever.

Any advice on a good set of strings to try first?

Cheers,
    -B
    Hey Brent - glad to see you're putting so much thought into your strings. I can tell you from an alloy perspective that 80/20 bronze is the brighter sounding alloy, and Phosphor Bronze is a very warm sounding alloy. That being said, there are other factors that you have to consider, such as the instrument, your playing style, the room you're in, etc. We also all hear things differently - and I think as you pointed out, bright can mean different things to different people.

My recommendation, when people are searching for their sound, is to buy a few different sets and put them on the same mandolin in the same conditions, ideally all in the same day, and listen. The differences will become apparent immediately and you'll be able to find the string that works best for you.

All of that said - I think our Nickel Bronze strings land you right in the middle, where you want to be. There's warmth from the phosphor bronze, but the nickel plating helps accent the mid-range frequencies of the instrument.

Hope this helps,
    Kyle

2 questions: are octave strings available with ball ends? I notice some mandolin strings have been added to the Players Circle program to purchase with accumulated points. Would EJ74's be a string set that might be added? Thanks
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Thayer View Post
    Hi, from what I gather, A and E singles are made of high carbon steel. Are singles available in NY steel?
    Our EXP loop-end singles are on this page here: http://daddario.com/DADProductDetail...ndolin_Singles

The EXP plain steel is made from our NY Steel wire. If you don't see the size you want, you can purchase plain NY Steel guitar strings and carefully pull the ball-end out with pliers, leaving you with a loop.

Hope this helps,
    Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by Benski View Post
    Hi Kyle. Hope all is ok...haven't seen you here in a few weeks...hope you're still with us. My question: I don't see them on the D'Addario website or with any online vendor, but will/does D'Addario offer single Monel wound G and D strings? If so, how can I order? Thanks and regards.
    Thanks for the note Benski. I am keeping very (read: very, very) busy working on new product development and launches.

We currently do not offer single wound G and D strings, but as I've said in other posts - we are working on making all single strings a possibility for the future - we have a lot of exciting projects ahead of that but it's on our minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Thayer View Post
    I contacted Strings and Beyond with my question....the answer is A and E singles are not available in NY Steel, only the high carbon steel.
    Our EXP loopend singles are made with our NY Steel alloy. http://daddario.com/DADProductDetail...ndolin_Singles

The A and E strings in our EXP sets are made from NY Steel as well.

12. The following members say thank you to D'Addario Strings for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Philphool View Post
    Seems that the D'Add folks didn't expect to have this many questions to answer. Not worth their time?
    Not the case, just busy working on new products for you all.

Quote Originally Posted by ikusan View Post
    There's a rumor going around that you're developing a new pick for Chris Thile. Will it be available to us mere mortals and if so, when can we expect it? Anything else you can tell us about the pick (material, thickness, size, shape etc.)?
    I work solely on string product development, so I'm not sure what the accessories guys have cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by jim simpson View Post
    2 questions: are octave strings available with ball ends? I notice some mandolin strings have been added to the Players Circle program to purchase with accumulated points. Would EJ74's be a string set that might be added? Thanks
    Octave strings with ball-ends would just be guitar strings! You can buy single phosphor bronze, 80/20, or Nickel Bronze wound strings to make up a ball-end set: http://www.daddario.com/DADProductFa...68&familyid=15

We're constantly working on adding products to Player's Circle, with the intention to have every product available for point redemption. So the answer to your question is: Eventually, yes.

Hope this helped,
    Kyle

16. The following members say thank you to D'Addario Strings for this post:

My question is, there is some form of buildup between my bridge and tailpiece on the strings. I use J75’s and J74’s sometimes.

Blog Entries

I got a suggestion for a handy dandy little D'Addario tool to go with all the tuners, stringwinders, string cutters, etc.

How about a, for want of a better terminology, ball cutter? I know I can use my nippers (and I do) or as some suggest, beaders' pliers. But it would be nice to have a dedicated, foolproof tool that I could reach for and in one or two quick moves get that ball end out of the loop with no muss, no fuss, no magnifier glasses, and no broken loops.

I'd buy one if it was available.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Quote Originally Posted by D'Addario Strings View Post
    Hi Chris - certain sets come with different internal packaging, so they may look different than guitar packaging. In most cases it's generational.

If you suspect that you've received a counterfeit set of strings, you can use the Players Circle code (printed on the inner packaging) to register the product in our Players Circle website. If the product is authentic you'll receive loyalty points for registering it. If Player's Circle can't authenticate the product, you'll have the option of submitting a counterfeit report directly to us.

Hope this helps,
    Kyle
    Hi Kyle,

#1: I was comparing the EXP74CM packaging to contemporary D'Addario mandolin, banjo, and guitar string packaging. I've just never seen the inner paper sleeves labelled 'Mandolin First (1)', 'Mandolin Second (2)', etc.

#2: There is no Player's Circle code anywhere. That's the reason I why I was originally confused as to their authenticity.

#3: I did submit pictures to D'Addario asking about the strings and received no response, which is why I posted here. I'll resend the original message to playreal@daddario.com.

Thank you,

Chris
    Northfield F5S Amber #347 - 'Squeeze'
    Mann EM-5 Hollow Body - Gimme Moore
    Kentucky KM-270 - Not just for whisky
    Flatiron 1N Pancake - Not just for breakfast
    Epiphone Mandobird IV - Djangly
    Cozart 8-string e-mando - El Ch(e)apo
    Lanikai LB6-S Banjolele (tuned GDAE) - Plinky and the Brane

Quote Originally Posted by Joe DiLorenzo View Post
    My question is, there is some form of buildup between my bridge and tailpiece on the strings. I use J75’s and J74’s sometimes.
    Joe, I had that big time with the regular phosphor bronze sets and even the EXP versions. Nasty green junk. I can destroy a set of those pretty quickly.
    I switched to either Nickel Bronze or Monel strings and that problem totally went away. Something about skin chemistry and the metal type I suppose.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

21. The following members say thank you to Drew Egerton for this post:

I use the EJ 72 mandola set on my Collings Mandola. If I were to make up a set of nickel wound in the same gauge would the tension be the same or different than the EJ 72 set? Just wanted to try it to see what kind of a sound I would get with nickel versus phosphor bronze.

Hello,
    Is there a way have strings shipped overseas? D’Addario mandolin strings are hard to find where I live (Lebanon) so I am wondering if any of your vendors ship internationally. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
    I use the EJ 72 mandola set on my Collings Mandola. If I were to make up a set of nickel wound in the same gauge would the tension be the same or different than the EJ 72 set? Just wanted to try it to see what kind of a sound I would get with nickel versus phosphor bronze.
    When you change materials - the resulting tension will often change, unless those materials are very similar in their density - even if the string is the same gauge

You can use our tool String Tension Pro (linked in my signature) to try a build the custom set that you're describing to see how your tensions would be affected.

Quote Originally Posted by SRNassif View Post
    Hello,
    Is there a way have strings shipped overseas? D’Addario mandolin strings are hard to find where I live (Lebanon) so I am wondering if any of your vendors ship internationally. Thank you.
    I'm not sure what vendors you're able to purchase from, but of course, you can purchase our strings online.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SRNassif View Post
    Hello,
    I'd think your question would be better directed at a string retailer with decades of international shipping experience. Our recommendation would be JustStrings.com and their shipping page which covers a lot of international questions you rightly have. Yes, they are a site sponsor, but might be the largest seller of strings in the world, unquestionably a class operation. Yes, amazon may be larger, but you might be buying fake knock-offs they're famous for offering and a few folks that have gotten burned by them can attest those strings are worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    I'd think your question would be better directed at a string retailer with decades of international shipping experience. Our recommendation would be JustStrings.com and their shipping page which covers a lot of international questions you rightly have. Yes, they are a site sponsor, but might be the largest seller of strings in the world, unquestionably a class operation. Yes, amazon may be larger, but you might be buying fake knock-offs they're famous for offering and a few folks that have gotten burned by them can attest those strings are worthless.
    Also try D'Addario's website - they will either direct you to a reputable local dealer, or to to someone who will ship to your country, doesn't work for every country I'm sure, but the list seems to be constantly growing.

Thanks for the reminder of string tenson pro, a lot of us here use it. I have become a fan myself. It's been helpful to me to be able to do things like string up a set of 18lb strings, then try 15's and even 13's (on an OM) to get a feel what varying tensions are like. The ability to dial in sound and feel has been great.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tavy View Post
    Also try D'Addario's website - they will either direct you to a reputable local dealer, or to to someone who will ship to your country, doesn't work for every country I'm sure, but the list seems to be constantly growing.
    Thanks you!