Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: D'Addario Strings - Ask Us Anything

Default Re: D'Addario Strings - Ask Us Anything

Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Bill View Post
    1st question
    After much experimentation my go to strings on all of my mandolins are EJ74. How, as a manufacturer, would you expect tone to change by switching to monels?
    2nd question
    One of my mandolas sounds best to me with John Pearse med. and my other dola sounds best to me with D'Addario med. Are monels available or in the works for dolas?
    Thanks for the question - Monel strings are going to have less overtone information and therefore will be a little warmer and subdued compared to the EJ74 set. I'd almost compare them to a set of phosphor bronze strings that have had the chance to break in.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Collins-Hill View Post
    Do you or do you plan to make a ball end version of your EJ80?

Thanks!
    Baron
    At this point we haven't considered it but it's a possiblity, noted!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Leyda View Post
    Allowing for subjectivity, how would you compare Nickel Bronze to Monel?
    Nickel Bronze and Monel are fairly similar with a couple of caveats. Nickel Bronze is a nickel plated phosphor bronze string so you get some of the added liveliness of a phosphor bronze string, though it's more focused sounding because of the nickel plating. Nickel bronze is also made with our NY Steel wire which offers better tuning stability and break resistance. Monel, I think you'll find, is a bid warmer sounding than Nickel Bronze. Again, my advice is to always try the strings on the same instrument and listen to the differences because there are a lot of variables that affect tone.

4. The following members say thank you to D'Addario Strings for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb Williams View Post
    Kyle, I just purchased a Gibson F5 Custom what string do you recommend?
    You can't go wrong with our Phosphor Bronze EJ74 set, it's the industry standard. That said, I am an advocate for trying out different strings and hearing the differences for yourself - there's no right or wrong answer, it's all about preference and taste!

6. The following members say thank you to D'Addario Strings for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMatt View Post
    Why is the only wound A string in the whole market on only one set of your strings(float tops) Any you don't offer singles?
    Have you considered silk cored strings like GHS offers(to temper brightness)?

Those not asking questions are doing this wrong...no?
    I haven't been with the company long enough to know if there is any historical context to your question when the strings were being designed and released but I can tell you that since flat wound strings typically function at a higher tension given the same scale length and pitch, it likely has to do with keeping the strings balanced.

We offer a lot (I mean a lot) of singles, but from a manufacturing and inventory management perspective, it's not always practical to offer every single string.

We haven't talked about a silk core mandolin string, but I've noted the idea!

Quote Originally Posted by August Watters View Post
    Yes, and we need an extra-light set too, for vintage bowlbacks. (perhaps .0095 - 013 - 021 - 030) There's nothing like that on the market (other than the GHS A240, but they're phosphor bronze, not the best choice for this purpose). Part of the problem with most modern strings is that they cut through th old, thin frets quickly.

Any chance we can get some high-quality, lower-tension strings for vintage instruments?
    We can certainly consider it - I'll have to do more research into the needs and requirements.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to D'Addario Strings For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Sachon View Post
    Hello,
    I enjoy your strings on my mandocello, but I rarely use your ‘cello set because the C strings, at 74, are just too thick for me. I’ve been left to cutting out the ball of the 70’s.

Your loop end strings skip everything from 62-78.

Is there any chance you could make the individual loop-end strings up through 70 or even 74?

Thanks!
    Peter
    We could probably stand to reevaluate some of our gauge offerings for more niche instruments like the 'cello. I'll look into it.

I use NBs on my acoustic mando. Will they also work on my electric with a magnetic pickup.

Thanks,

Tim Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by twilson View Post
    I use NBs on my acoustic mando. Will they also work on my electric with a magnetic pickup.

Thanks,

Tim Wilson
    Yes! This is one of my favorite features of Nickel Bronze strings, you actually get a strong magnetic response out of electromagnetic pickups!

Could you ever consider bringing out a coated version of the Monels? Or indeed a set using the same gauges as the EXP74CMs; 11.5, 16, 26w, 40w?

Quote Originally Posted by D'Addario Strings View Post
    Hello everyone!

Kyle here from the fretted D'Addario product development and management team. I wanted to create a thread where everyone and anyone can ask any questions or leave any comments they might have about our mandolin strings or accessories.

I'll do my best to answer everyone, but please be patient as I still also have to work today I'm looking forward to hearing from you all!

-Kyle
    i am just messing and would like to restring my mandolin with mandolele tuning. GCEA
    read somewhere that gauge needed was G = .038 W C .028W E .020w. .013
    any suggestions about what type of strings to use, also are single strings available in these gauges? thank you.. other chime ins welcome if you have tried this.. i know why would I?

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Does D'Addario manufacture the strings for the maker of Elixir brand strings? Inquiring minds want to know. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

I just received a set of NB1252BTs . That was really weird because I ordered a set of NB1152s, but they shipped me NB1252BTs. This is significant because I always would switch out my high "E" .11 for a .12! Making the tension balance a bit better on the strum-through.

I am tickled and excited that you have release a NB balanced tension set with said modification already done. It's perfect, now offer that gauge lineup in all the rest of your Acoustic Guitar strings.

(Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Leyda View Post)
    Allowing for subjectivity, how would you compare Nickel Bronze to Monel?
    (Response)
    Nickel Bronze and Monel are fairly similar with a couple of caveats. Nickel Bronze is a nickel plated phosphor bronze string so you get some of the added liveliness of a phosphor bronze string, though it's more focused sounding because of the nickel plating. Nickel bronze is also made with our NY Steel wire which offers better tuning stability and break resistance. Monel, I think you'll find, is a bid warmer sounding than Nickel Bronze. Again, my advice is to always try the strings on the same instrument and listen to the differences because there are a lot of variables that affect tone.

I'm not convinced you actually know the qualities of Monel strings although you speak as though you do. Caveat emptor.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyMadd View Post
    (Response)

I'm not convinced you actually know the qualities of Monel strings although you speak as though you do. Caveat emptor.
    I really hope I misread/misunderstood your comment. Do you find fault with his description of Monel strings? If so, how?

And, if so, why on earth would you take a shot at a company representative willing to come on a public forum and take suggestions??

If I misread your intentions I apologize.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ccravens For This Useful Post:

Ok, here's a request for the D'Addario website:

I have taken to using custom sets for some of my mandos (meaning they are all singles ordered individually).
    I would love it if I could save these in my user id on the D'Addario site and then order my 'sets'
    easily in the future.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

21. The following members say thank you to kurth83 for this post:

DougC 

Quote Originally Posted by seankeegan View Post
    Could you ever consider bringing out a coated version of the Monels? Or indeed a set using the same gauges as the EXP74CMs; 11.5, 16, 26w, 40w?
    Sean - we're always looking at possible line extensions for our product families and we can definitely consider it.

23. The following members say thank you to D'Addario Strings for this post:

You're kidding right?

Like Chris, I hope I'm misreading this comment.....if I'm not, it's pretty rude and unnecessary IMO.

25. The following members say thank you to oliverkollar for this post:

Blog Entries

(Response)I'm not convinced you actually know the qualities of Monel strings although you speak as though you do. Caveat emptor.
    Concur with what others have said. We have an obligation--and it's the right thing to do-- to treat visitors to the site looking to assist us with courtesy. That's my opinion as the site owner and if anyone doesn't agree with that they are welcome to move on elsewhere.

27. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

(Response)

I'm not sure what you're implying but if you have a specific question that you'd like me to answer about Monel, shoot it my way. I don't know, or claim to know everything about everything, but I guarantee I can find the answers to even the most technical questions among myself and the team of engineers that I work with to develop these products.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to D'Addario Strings For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by kurth83 View Post
    Ok, here's a request for the D'Addario website:

I have taken to using custom sets for some of my mandos (meaning they are all singles ordered individually).
    I would love it if I could save these in my user id on the D'Addario site and then order my 'sets'
    easily in the future.
    That's a big topic among the team here, stay tuned!

Not mandolin, I know, but 2 course string sets. lol!

Dedicated J74 string user here. Question: Would you folks entertain offering an electric flat wound 12 string guitar set? There are few choices out there. Thanks!
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

How is it that I can import D'Addario mandolin strings [ my favorite ] cheaper from the USA than I can buy them here in Great Brittain ?

Thanks, Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

Quote Originally Posted by jim simpson View Post
    Not mandolin, I know, but 2 course string sets. lol!

Dedicated J74 string user here. Question: Would you folks entertain offering an electric flat wound 12 string guitar set? There are few choices out there. Thanks!
    Haven't heard this one before. I suppose it's a possibility if the demand is there. Flatwound strings are one of the most costly and involved types of strings we make here. I'll look into it - thanks for the suggestion.

34. The following members say thank you to D'Addario Strings for this post:

i'd just like to reinforce earlier suggestion on a revisit of Mandocello gauges.... C and G strings are really too beefy for some of the cello's being produced these days, as well as player preference on older vintage as well. Even some of the top dog Cello players like Mike Marshall only go with 70 C strings (which, btw, you supply him, but will not supply the public)
    John D