Thread: short scale mandolin

Default short scale mandolin

wondering if anyone knows of a short scale newer mandolin. i want to revisit mandolin and have small hands with pinkie that sets low on hand. it is hard for me to play the full chords.
    i appreciate any info and suggestions!

would i notice difference between short scale and standard scale

Default Re: short scale mandolin

A mandolin is already pretty short scale. I am not sure going shorter would help. You don't have to play full chords on a mandolin, in fact, some are not even possible and a lot of players "shorthand" chords.

I will share something that helped me and that was going to a longer scale and then coming back to the regular scale. For me, playing octave mandolin improved my regular mandolin playing tremendously. That wasn't why I did it, but it was a happy outcome. My pinky finger had not been all that useful beforehand. The OM forced me to get my pinky into action.

Also, know that there are some really good players who rarely use their pinky. It's not the majority certainly, but I had an instructor for years whose playing I really admired who rarely used his pinky, but he sounded great. He played a lot three string chords and on lead, he would do slides up and down rather than reach with his pinky. It gave him a really distinctive and interesting sound. His ability with his picking hand was amazing, though. You can compensate in one area by getting great in another.

3. The following members say thank you to John Flynn for this post:

Mandolins made for classical (bowlbacks) often have slightly shorter scale, not sure if there are other types.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

Mandolin & Mandola maker

Lyon and Healy made short scale arch top mandolins. The scale length of these is 13 inches, which is the same as most bowlback mandolins. I make a copy that is available with a 13 inch scale length.
    Peter Coombe - mandolins, mandolas and guitars
    http://www.petercoombe.com

NFI, but I know Big Muddy offers a "violin scale" length for their mandolins, which reduces the entire scale by 7/8". In the website's FAQ it describes how this is often preferable for people with smaller hands. Worth checking out.

https://www.bigmuddymandolin.com/store
    1940 Gibson L-4T
    2016 Martin TEN515
    2018 Poe Scout #76

mando-evangelist August Watters's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Shorter scale mandolins are great for making chord work easier -- even for people who don't have small hands. Lots of vintage mandolins -- not just bowlbacks -- have a shorter scale. 13-7/8" is standard for arched-style mandolins, but on the international market you'll find many other options.
    Exploring Classical Mandolin (Berklee Press, 2015)
    Progressive Melodies for Mandocello (KDP, 2019) (2nd ed. 2022)
    New Solos for Classical Mandolin (Hal Leonard Press, 2020)
    2021 guest artist, mandocello: Classical Mandolin Society of America

Martin mandolins have a 13" scale. I have thought of getting an ff hole mandolin with a 13" scale as I like it when I play my Martin, but love my ff hole instruments sound.
    Last edited by pops1; Mar-15-2019 at 11:01am.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I have a travolin that I use for, well, traveling. (http://www.travolin.com). It’s really tiny. It’s a 13” scale and I think a 1”, maybe 1 1/8” nut. Easily the smallest mandolin I’ve ever seen. Not the greatest tone though, since it’s meant for travel practice, not performing. But it is small.

I notice the ease with witch I can play my old A1. Everything you could want except modern. Same with an old flatiron 1N or the like, but you loose a whole bunch of snap and power. It's just the laws of physics. Someone must have tried a shorter scale F5 at some point. Perhaps a builder could weigh in.

My hands are small enough that I need to shift slightly at both ends of a closed position scale. Most can cover the distance comfortably. I think it comes down to some advantages with big hands, and some with small. Yes, the G chop chord seem impossible, but it's not.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    i appreciate any info and suggestions!
    would i notice difference between short scale and standard scale
    Why not put a capo on the first or second fret and see what you think?
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

12. The following members say thank you to Phil Goodson for this post:

I notice a big difference between my A1 and my modern mandolins. It all depends on what sound you want to hear. The A1 works for everything but bluegrass, but still manages about 20% of my playing time, and it gets very tight as you play up the neck.

There are some very compelling reasons the modern mandolin has evolved like it has. I'd learn to live with a standard scale.

Try learning an A or B chop chord first, then move it down to G. There is a simpler four string G chop too, probably at least two, and you can chop a three chord G but you need a precise right hand and you loose some power.

As my mandolin buddy tells me, it really comes down to time spent. What starts off hopeless becomes difficult, then chalanging, then doable, then second nature. After three years, the G chop is now doable.

Same with getting a clean tone at the 14th fret. I'm at the difficult stage with that one. This is not an easy journey, and it really helps to enjoy the process and slow things down.If you practice too fast, you will be practicing to be sloppy.

Yes, I remember well the thought I had first time out with the G.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1