Thread: Replacement Pickup for GME-4

Default Replacement Pickup for GME-4

So I bought a Gold Tone GME-4 electric mandolin a while ago off of craigslist. It's fun to fool around with, but the stock pick-up is quite weak, especially the E string. It was especially hard to drive volume-triggered effects, like an envelope follower.

I had searched around for replacements and finally, following advice found here, contacted Tom at Moongazer about a replacement from Almuse. There was an uncovered Tele-style neck pickup listed on the site, and mention that a covered version was available. He now has placed a link on their page for a covered neck-pickup. There is a $10 up charge for the covered version.

I'll let you know about the conversion as soon as it arrives.

Graham
    Summit F-200
    Eastman 515

Default Re: Replacement Pickup for GME-4

So the pickup arrived today and I put it in...What a difference! It's a true single coil, unlike the stacked "humbucker" that's the stock pickup on the Gold Tone. The almuse is louder, much more definition and...there's an e-string! It really has an even output.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pickup mags.jpg 
Views:	662 
Size:	155.2 KB 
ID:	104543

Looking at this picture you can compare the magnets. The Almuse (bottom pickup) has graduated magnets for each pole. Note the difference between the E string (on the left) and the G string. With the cover it's an easy drop in replacement that maintains the original look

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pickup cover.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	104544

I just spent some time playing it through a Fender Blues Junior and it is a serious improvement. Much more responsive, it drives effects well (even the envelop follower, with the e-string!) really a lot more fun to play. Thanks to Almuse and Moongazer!

Graham
    Last edited by Graham Vest; Jul-17-2013 at 2:26pm. Reason: layout
    Summit F-200
    Eastman 515

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Graham Vest For This Useful Post:

Congratulations. Almuse and Moongazer certainly seem like the places to go for electric upgrades.

Luthier&Pickup maker ret. Soundfarmer Pete's Avatar

Thanks Graham, glad you like it.....perhaps I ought to think about adding that one to my range

Nice. Glad you like the improvement.

Don't forget that, while a bit wider, you can also use Stratocaster and Telecaster pickups with emando's. Once you go there you open up a whole ton of options with more competitive pricing. I replaced the single-coils in my Fender 5-string with a couple rail humbuckers and now can go from country twang down to serious rock and roll, almost metal. And I use a Lace resonator guitar pickup on my Paris Swing [my avatar] and it works great. I don't find the extra width an issue at all.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

So glad to hear you were able to upgrade. My GME-4 is also weak on the e string.

Which model did you get? How difficult is the installation? Soldering involved?

Thx!
    1953 D18
    1955 015 Martin
    ‘60s Yamaha, my Dad’s
    2013 D18 Martin
    1976 Baldwin Ode banjo
    June #61
    June #74
    2001 Flatiron A5 Artist
    2014 Weber F5 Fern
    A very old no name fiddle