Thread: what kind of glue for sound board transducer?

Default what kind of glue for sound board transducer?

resocoil says use shoemaker glue or carpet glue.

But there are 10,000 varieties of these glues on amazon, so I don't know which one to use.

I think the idea is something less permanent than epoxy, but strong enough to hold unless pried off with a blade.

K&K recommends superglue, which I suspect is no worse than a small bit of epoxy.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

Default Re: what kind of glue for sound board transducer?

I used epoxy on a Barcus Berry I fitted to a guitar in 1974 and it’s still there!

Over the past 10 years I've mounted JJB PPS-200 SBT's in 20 instruments using blu-tak putty. It holds secure, never dries or hardens, does not adversely affect the acoustic or amplified sound and can be removed later without damaging the instrument or transducer.

4. The following members say thank you to Mandobart for this post:

I superglue mine in, but not just glue the pickup. I glue the tape to the pickup, glue that to another piece of tape, glue the double layers of tape to the top. Bart's blu-tak would have a nice warm sound, a little less output (in most cases, welcome) and very reversible. I do have one mandolin that because of the X brace the only place it sounded good was on the brace so I had to put it on top. I used 3M double stick tape. First I stuck the tape, for the top side, to my flannel shirt to make it not so sticky, but sticky enough to hold the pickup on. Sound is a little warmer than gluing on and I would guess close to Bart's blu-tak.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Thanks, bought some of the putty.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

Registered User Gabriel Wiseman's Avatar

When I put my K&K in, I just used a small amount of gel superglue. The double sided tape that came with the pickup didn't work so well playing outside in the heat and humidity. I was at a festival playing once and noticed the bass side transducer hanging down inside the mandolin and the sticky stuff from the tape stinging down from the top to the transducer! Had to clean it all up and go with the super glue like the instructions said..... should have done what the instructions said to begin with, but.... I'm an idiot. lol
    Gabriel Wiseman
    https://poplme.co/pmywrpAD
    www.jtrband.com
    Curt Mangan Strings

2021 Duff 2 Point, 1947 Gibson J-50

8. The following members say thank you to Gabriel Wiseman for this post:

The tape and putty can work well... but if there is anything like dust, or waxy polishing compound residue, or anything like that inside the instrument, SuperGlue is the only thing that will hold long-term.

I do both, I use two pieces of tape each superglued to the pickup and top. It gives a slightly warmer sound, I feel, than gluing the pickup to the top.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!