Thread: How to safely remove K and K pickups from archtop guitar.

Default How to safely remove K and K pickups from archtop guitar.

Hi all. I have a Eastman AR610 acoustic archtop. When purchased i had the seller install K and K archtop pickup. Two round disks glues to the underside, just inside of the F holes. After playing it for a few months, I just dont care for the sound of the pickups. I use a few different schertler amps, and i can not dial in a sound i like, even using a number of different preamps, including K and K, plus some that cost more than twice that. So i ordered a Barbera bridge transducer, and it should arrive today. I am going to connect it through the end pin jack that is currently used for the k and k. I wanted to remove the k and k. I have read a few passages that you simply place a flat thin metal slide under the edge, and giv a little push and twist. This I can do, but its my understanding that moist k and k go In acoustics under the bridge where the wood is a little thicker, so not as much an issue removing. My concern is that i may damage the underside, and therefore crack or damage the top. I could just clip the wires and let the pickups stay, but i prefer to remove. If i can reuse them one a better suited instrument i will.

As you can imagine, although i can feel the pickups right under the holes, there is not a lot of room to slide something in to pry them off.

Any suggestions on how to remove them without damaging the guitars top would be appreciated.
    Its not a backwards guitar.

Default Re: How to safely remove K and K pickups from archtop guitar.

You should be able to carefully remove them by insinuating a single-edged razor blade in between pickup and top. Take your time. Observe and make sure you're not digging into either the top or the pickup.

3. The following members say thank you to Andy Miller for this post:

Thanks! Wondering how I get a good grip on blade through the f hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Freddyfingers View Post
    Thanks! Wondering how I get a good grip on blade through the f hole.
    Well that's easy enough - you don't! It's more like you hook your finger in there to lay the blade against the inside of the top next to the transducer, then push the blade in with your fingertip.

6. The following members say thank you to Andy Miller for this post:

Will do! Thanks. Will let ya know.

I use a soundpost setter for violin that I modified to have a sharpened edge that gets slightly thicker where it is sharpened. It is easily bent to give you access for different situations. It does not need to be razor blade sharp, just a nice edge to start under the pickup. I use the larger flat area of the setter, not the pointed part. I grind the large area smaller. Any flat piece of bendable metal that is sharpened would work, but soundpost setter has a thinner handle which would be more work with a flat piece of metal.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

9. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Thanks. I looked up sound post setter. I will look around the house for a bendable piece of metal.

The handle of an old fork or spoon can work.

Long story short, they didn’t come out. Was able to get the rubber type pad off that covers them, but I couldn’t get anything thin enough under the metal pickup to even begin p[rying it loose. Even tried lightly heating it with a hair dryer, they are glued for life. Arch tops are unique. Sound unique, play unique, look unique, but are a big pain in the butt to have to get inside a F hole. Plus side, Barbera saddlepickup is in and its heavenly. Perhaps another thread on that as its worth mentioning.

I never glued mine in, so it came right out. I switched to a Fishman M300 pickup bridge. Much better all around.

It's not easy, but it can be done. I have removed lots when I was experimenting with them years ago.

I wish that had been done here. A photo i took of the inside showed a large circle of glue around the pick up. It appears they wanted it to last forever. Even K and K says they dont use forever glue, but i think these folks did.

- - - Updated - - -

Probably would have been less headaches to fly out to Wisconsin and gotten your help. I had a pot of coffee and two dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Freddyfingers View Post
    Probably would have been less headaches to fly out to Wisconsin and gotten your help. I had a pot of coffee and two dogs.
    I live in the country, the dogs could run. Sounds like you would have to get some of the squeeze out glue off to get to the transducer. Keep the wires on and tie them together across the guitar so they don't hit the top, may want to use the pickup some day, or wire it into a stereo jack and use a combination.