Thread: Inexpensive Mandolin with longer scale length and wide nut width?

Default Inexpensive Mandolin with longer scale length and wide nut width?

Hi, I wanted to know if there is a mandolin out there that’s got a longer than average scale length and wider nut width that isn’t to pricey, maybe somewhere between $150-$350 range. I have very bad dexterity problems and have tried a regular mandolin and I’m really struggling so if anyone knows of something like this please let me know. Thanks

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Default Re: Inexpensive Mandolin with longer scale length and wide nut wi

An octave mandolin has a longer scale length tuned GDAE an octave below a traditional mandolin. Trinity College and Gold Tone come to mind. Gonna be hard to find one used under $350 though.
    Living’ in the Mitten

3. The following members say thank you to Steve Ostrander for this post:

You may want to consider a tenor guitar. Ibanez sells one for $200.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...gaAklHEALw_wcB

A mandola perhaps?

I was going to suggest mandola too. With patience you can find them in that range. They're in the sweet spot where first position notes are close enough together without being too close together for playing with speed and accuracy, at least for my hands.

My two cents:

- longer scale won't help as much as you might hope, it might be easier for a beginner, but better players will fret right up next to the fret - necessary to get a clean tone in tune with minimum force - so the fretting accuracy to play cleanly doesn't go down that much with longer scale.

- wider nut has an easier solution (I hate narrow nuts myself too, but found a simple solution), it can make more difference if you recut the nut than getting a wider one. I recut one to reduce the width of the courses (from about 3/32 to 2/32 measured from the inside of each wire). The difference in playability was amazing, and this was on a super-narrow nut Eastman 1 3/32 nut width.

I bought a pack of nut files for $60 from stew mac, and 10 blank bone nuts from amazon for about $12.

For about that same price (I am guessing under $100) you could have a new nut made by a pro too.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

8. The following members say thank you to kurth83 for this post:

I agree that an Ibanez tenor guitar might be a candidate. A tenor guitar is tuned in 5ths as are mando instruments. A mandola and a tenor guitar are tuned C - G - D - A. You might find a used mandola in your price range but it might have issues. The Ibanez would be a new instrument. I've heard several accomplished mandolin players "go to town" on a tenor guitar!

If you go the mandola route consider this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mandola-mad...oAAOSw0JpV3shs

Mine has a very good sound and they are dirt cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by kurth83 View Post
    My two cents:
    - wider nut has an easier solution (I hate narrow nuts myself too, but found a simple solution), it can make more difference if you recut the nut than getting a wider one. I recut one to reduce the width of the courses (from about 3/32 to 2/32 measured from the inside of each wire). The difference in playability was amazing, and this was on a super-narrow nut Eastman 1 3/32 nut width.

I bought a pack of nut files for $60 from stew mac, and 10 blank bone nuts from amazon for about $12.

For about that same price (I am guessing under $100) you could have a new nut made by a pro too.
    Well, shucks. I'm only about a month into my mandolin journey but I've been having a spot of trouble getting my sausage fingers out of the way when fretting my MD305. Going to keep at it without modifications for a while longer yet to see how much my technique can be improved on its own but will also keep this option in the back of my mind in case it continues to be a serious issue.

You can put new strings on a tenor ukulele and turn it into a mandola. A cheap fix that's a fun alternative.

Make sure you're using the correct mandolin fingering system of 2 notes per finger. If you try to play it like a little guitar, you'll go crazy.
    http://www.nigelgatherer.com/mando/tut1/tut6.html
    Steve

Look into the Breedlove Crossovers. They are designed for guitar players trying out mandolin who are more comfortable with a wider fingerboard. They can be found used starting at about $300 US.

Practically no one makes a mandolin with a longer scale length than 14”, which is exactly 1/8” more than the classic 13 7/8” scale. I think you would find the wider fingerboard makes the difference you’re looking for. Mandolin scale leangth actually makes a lot of sense once you start to use it.

No mandolin offered for $150 is worth your time, especially with your particular criteria.

It’s worth the trouble to find one you’re comfortable to start with. You’ll dig it.

Never heard of those crossovers before, I would have bought one a while back if I had known about them, cheap easy way to get into a wider nut. Seems like a standard mandolin in every other respect. Anyone know how they compare to Eastmans in sound/quality?
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

I’m an Eastman 505 player; The feel and sound are quite different. I’d say the Crossovers are more resonant and less punchy, but generally comparable in quality to the Eastman 300 line. Some of them were made with laminate sides and back (solid top) which keeps the price down; Eastmans are all solid wood. I quite liked the one I tried but I didn’t like it enough for 6-700 Cdn +tx.

We seem to have lost the OP, come back Bearded Buck, there are opinions here!

I play a Fylde Touchstone and it has a slightly longer neck than most mandolins and a wider nut as well.
    I never fail at anything, I just succeed at doing things that never work....

Fylde Touchstone Walnut Mandolin.
    Gibson Alrite Model D.

Hey i am back and thanks everyone for the ideas, there’s a store nearby that has the crossovers and also the Eastman octave mandolin although that’s out of my price range I’m going to check it out since it’s there. Definitely trying to find somewhere nearby that has Mandolas but so far no luck.

See if you can get hold of an old German Waldzither. They have a longer scale length and were made to take 9 strings. With a new nut and bridge made to take 8 strings you will have loads of room. You can string it up for tuning as a mandola CGDA or an octave mandolin GDAE.
    Mandolins: Bandolim by Antonio Pereira Cabral
    German flatback mandola by unknown maker converted from a descant Waldzither