Thread: Forgive the newbie question:

Default Forgive the newbie question:

Hello All
    Can I string an octave mandolin with bouzouki strings...specifically to get
    the two lower set of strings an octave apart?
    I love the bouzouki sound but the neck is a bit of a stretch for me.
    I am concerned about the thinner bouzouki strings in the notches of the octave's bridge.
    Thanks for the help!
    Dante

Default Re: Forgive the newbie question:

Quote Originally Posted by Dante221 View Post
    Hello All
    Can I string an octave mandolin with bouzouki strings...specifically to get
    the two lower set of strings an octave apart?
    I love the bouzouki sound but the neck is a bit of a stretch for me.
    I am concerned about the thinner bouzouki strings in the notches of the octave's bridge.
    Thanks for the help!
    Dante
    To begin--I haven't a clue ! Second, your question is better than Which strings or Which pick ?

3. The following members say thank you to yankees1 for this post:

Yes, you can string any octave mandolin with strings an octave apart, like a twelve-string guitar. You will have to use custom string gauges, but there is advice on string gauges (and archived threads) available in the CBOM sub-section of the forum here. You probably don't want to use bouzouki strings on an OM since the scale is usually shorter.

And yes, if you decide you like the sound then you will probably need a new nut and bridge saddle with slots cut for the thinner strings, but that's not a major expense for an instrument tech if you can't do it yourself. You can still try it out with the stock nut and bridge, which won't be ideal, but you can hear if you like that sound or not compared to unison strings.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foldedpath For This Useful Post:

Yes, as foldedpath says can be easily done. For gauges just go for ones that are half the diameter of your current G and D strings or if you have spare A and E strings you can use those.
    Last edited by OneChordTrick; Mar-12-2019 at 3:23am. Reason: Corrected typo

7. The following members say thank you to OneChordTrick for this post:

I like octave pairs on my mandola, OM and mandocello. Here are two ideas that I use with success:

1. The tension works out the same if you simply halve the diameter of the original string and tune it an octave higher. Example - on my 21.5" octave mando, the G is .048". Its octave pair is .024". Easy for me as the Allen tailpiece will take loop or ball ends so I just put together a custom string set from individual guitar strings. You can get individual loop end strings from the big internet string sites.

2. Buy 2 sets of octave mandolin strings. Use a regular G from one set and pair it with an A from the other set, tuned to G instead of A. On the D course take an E from your 2nd set tuned down to D. The tension will be a little lower but not so low that it will rattle or buzz.

Most people will tell you to get proper intonation you need to fill and re-file the bridge and nut slots for the smaller octave string in each pair. In my experience this is not necessary, but that's partly because I have a zero fret on my 'dola, OM and 'cello.