Thread: Thoughts on Gibson A1

Default Thoughts on Gibson A1

I posted a couple days ago about a Kentucky mandolin I was looking at, but I decided not to go with that one. To give some background, I am looking to get my first mandolin but I want a good one to start with that I like that will last me a while for the investment. I'm drawn to mandolines that sound loud and have a good chop. At first I thought I liked the F-style better than Oval hole but after hearing some of the Gibson A's I am questioning that. For the record, I am interested in playing Klezmer-type music. Ironically, today I ran across a 1918 Gibson A1 that is not far from me and looks to be in really good condition to my novice eye for $900. I really like the sound of the ones I have heard. I have a couple of questions: Would this be a good investment/first mandolin? What should I look for with this model?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mando1.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	175225   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gibson_back.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	175226   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mando3.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	114.7 KB 
ID:	175227  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mando4.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	175228  
    Last edited by brentonguy85; Mar-06-2019 at 11:44pm.

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: Thoughts on Gibson A1

Some of the Gibson A's are very good mandolins. They do vary in sound quality, some are much better than others. Use your ear.
    Check to make sure that the neck is straight. The mandolin in your picture looks like the top may have had some varnish added at some point during the past. The back looks original and very nice.

If you buy one, have a good repairman check the top brace behind the soundhole to make sure that it is not loose. If it is loose, it is an easy repair for a competent repairman. Also, avoid too heavy a string on these old-timers. I make my own sets up. I use 10 1/2-14-24-38 or 40. At the most, I would not go any heavier than D'Addario J-74's, and that is pushing it on a 100+ year old Gibson. There are some that would disagree with my opinion, but I've seen quite a few warped necks or distorted tops on oval hole Gibsons that have been over-strung.

The only other comment I will make is that many of these mandolins will benefit from a modern set of frets. The old original small fret wire can be a little cantankerous on the fingers even if the frets are in good shape.

I have a 1913 A 1, and would think one would serve you well. We are talking about a 100 year old instrument. Hard to tell from pictures. The minuses for that instrument from the picture are, and I agree with the previous comment, the finish seems to be too shiny to be original, and it is missing the pickguard, both of witch are reflected in the price. But that doesn't affect how it sounds or plays.

You would do well to have it checked though. I paid $1600 for mine, which was from a major dealer in a big prosperous urban center, which I consider top dollar. I was told it would take J 74 strings with ease.

Many have suffered sunken tops, you just need to do due diligence. But if in solid condition, they are very nice to play.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

The only thing I’d add is that round hole mandolins - especially teens Gibsons - aren’t famous for having a good chop; if that’s an important factor for you.

My two main mandolins are both Gibson A models. They can be not only a great first mandolin, but also a great last mandolin. As long as everything is good on that one (and there was excellent advice above on what to look for) then it's worth getting, IMO.

(added) And I agree with others, while they can handle medium strings, I personally think they sound best with lights or medium lights. That said, my A Jr. has mediums on it and doesn't have a problem handling them. Still, it's getting medium lights at the next string change.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Old As are not something I'd associate with chop, but do you chop in Klezmer?
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

7. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I got mine about 35 years ago. I'm keeping it!

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

There may not be as much chop in an A with an oval, but there is still chop.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    Old As are not something I'd associate with chop, but do you chop in Klezmer?
    Not that I've heard, in my limited expeditions into the genre. Just learn to play in the freygish mode; I went utterly bananas trying to figure out why all my melodies and harmonies sounded wrong, until someone from Wholesale Klezmer Band (Sherry, the clarinetist) showed me the alternative scale.

As to the mandolin, if it's structurally sound, price is very reasonable. Just remember that a century-old instrument may need a bit of babying.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Can anyone explain the difference between the A models (A1 vs. A2 vs. A4, etc.)? Or is there a good resource online that explains it? I've been looking but can't find much.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brentonguy85 View Post
    Can anyone explain the difference between the A models (A1 vs. A2 vs. A4, etc.)? Or is there a good resource online that explains it? I've been looking but can't find much.
    The Mandolin Cafe is here to help: https://www.mandolincafe.com/archive...a/gibsona.html
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

13. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

Pretty much aesthetics. A plain A Jr. will likely sound very like an A4, though they did make a few with maple back and sides.nive never played one.

The Loar years brought the A2Z, a different, brighter and more focused animal, but the teens years, of witch I've played a dozen or so, have very similar sound, different only by the individual variation in instruments. My favorites were an A and an A4. So IMHO, the rosette and a fleur d'Lye of the A 4 did not signify a better sound, only a nicer look.

The Jr has no rosette or logo on the headstock. Move up to an A1 and you get the Gibson on the headstock. A3 and A4 get more inlay and nicer rosettes.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I would say a chop is associated with bluegrass so you may have heard that term and fallen into using familiarg music terms which is understandable if just starting on mandolin. You don't need a chop unless you are in a band with a loud bano, guitar, fiddle and bass so with Klezmer type music, I'd be thinking of other skills than chopping.

Best of luck.

... although I've had people say my 1923 snake (oval hole, A-model) has a great chop, so they vary. They're definitely an instrument you can keep for all time if you like the sound. I love my Gibson -- some people like the sound of more modern instruments or f-hole instruments better. it's all in the ears -- and if the mandolin has the sound you want and is in reasonably good shape, it'll do for you for the foreseeable future. My 2 cents.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

I wanted an old Gibson A style as much for the history as anything. The added benefit of makeing music with it is icing on the cake. The fact it does that very well is the raspberry filling between the layers. It's wild popularity back in the day insures that quite a few survive so they are afordable.

A project mandolin, or non originality makes them even more afordable. Buying a functional old A missing original parts or refinished is one of the great mandolin values out there.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Br1ck For This Useful Post: