Thread: Banjo mandolin? Inlay detail on back, neck and around base

Default Banjo mandolin? Inlay detail on back, neck and around base

My husband grand father received this from someone that owed him money. Want to know if it’s called a banjo mandolin. Markings state SS Stewart, at the bottom fret is printed France. Need to know as much as possible. Wood type? Shaped head stock? Love to know as much history if possible! It’s has inlay on back with many instruments with looks like birds eye maple, around the drum inlay and up the back of the neck inlay. The neck curves over. How do I send pics.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5541.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	159.9 KB 
ID:	175293Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5536.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	176.1 KB 
ID:	175294Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5537.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	204.0 KB 
ID:	175295Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5544.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	175296Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5543.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	177.0 KB 
ID:	175297Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5542.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	198.7 KB 
ID:	175298Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5539.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	175299
    Last edited by Funattic2828; Mar-10-2019 at 11:12am. Reason: added pictures

Default Re: Banjo mandolin? Inlay detail on back, neck and around base

Where you posted, top right side box, 3rd from the left is a picture icon. Click that and follow, it will ask to choose location of you’re pictures.
    " Practice every time you get a chance." - Bill Monroe

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	89813650-9FA4-49A1-8171-08F2A2E31B88.jpeg 
Size:	169.2 KB 
ID:	175292Click image for larger version. 

Name:	89813650-9FA4-49A1-8171-08F2A2E31B88.jpeg 
Size:	169.2 KB 
ID:	175292
    Then hit upload file
    " Practice every time you get a chance." - Bill Monroe

thank you that sure helped.. added pic now of this gorgeous instrument but also a work of art

Definitely European but I never think of France in connection with banjo mandolins (or mandolin banjos). I’m no expert but isn’t that burr-walnut rather than birds eye maple?

Does look French; their banjos often had elaborate inlay or marquetry work on their resonators. Check out the French inlay/marquetry work shown here. The slotted headstock, shaped with a "shield" at the top, is another indicator of continental European origin.

Where do the "markings" state "S S Stewart?" Stewart was a major US banjo firm in Philadelphia, started around 1878, producing banjos by Stewart and his successors (he died in 1898) until maybe 1910. The "S S Stewart" brand then passed on to over manufacturers and distributors, like Bugeleisen & Jacobson (B & J) who put the label on banjos and other instruments from a variety of sources. Quite possibly they, or another distributor, could have labeled a French import "S S Stewart."

Early 20th century, probably French origin, marked "Stewart" to be distributed and sold in the US -- that'd be my guess. Nice looking, with figured veneers and marquetry, and in decent shape. No particularly great market value, in today's terms, more of a curiosity than an on-demand player.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

At the tip of the curbed neck it had the little plate. The plate sure didn’t look like what I’ve seen from other instruments online. It almost looked like a y at the end because it curved. I’ll have my husband tonight held get a pic of that. It barely fits on the curved neck. Thanks so much for your help! Appreciate your knowledge

Your probably correct. It’s birds eye of some type of wood. We do work with wood in certain projects but no experience with specialty woods for instruments. Just trying to help him get answers sooner than ..his timing. Thanks for your help! Knowledge is everything. His grandfather used to call square dances in Plymouth mi and zephyrhills fl