Thread: OM Nut Width?

Question OM Nut Width?

So I'm contemplating ordering an OM in the next year or so. I played my first OM last week, a Northfield Flattop and after starting with a Mandolin I found the wider width (1.4") a bit more difficult than I expected.

So my question is what is the range of nut widths that can work with an OM and what should I reasonably expect, and not unreasonably ask for when it comes time to order?

The nut width on my Weber Gallatin mandolin is 1-1/8". I'm thinking about a 20" scale on an OM and wonder whether widths similar to that on a mandolin (that I currently own and play) are even possible to build? Or even whether they should be considered?

Default Re: OM Nut Width?

The nut on my Ashbury is 1-3/8”. It’s wider than my mandolin but i have no problem switching between the two instruments. For me it was just a case of getting used to it.

3. The following members say thank you to OneChordTrick for this post:

Blog Entries

This may not be directly relevant to your question. However it may be an area to explore. The nut width does not describe the exact placement of the strings.

I bought a Collings MT mandola. The nut width was 1 5/16. I noticed that the outer strings were darned close to the binding (the full width of the neck). At least that was my impression. I had been playing a Collings mandolin and the new mandola felt like the outer strings were darned close to the full width of the neck. The guys at my local guitar shop said that guitars are set up that way and Collings puts the strings 'out there' so the guitar players (and not the mandolin players BTW) feel comfortable.

I said that the mandolin does not have the strings so close to the edge, and I was right. So 'what's the deal here?" And they explained that it is 'marketing' to the larger market of guitar players.

You can guess what was my reply. I said that I wanted the string spacing on the nut to be in a similar proportion of nut width to string spacing width as my mandolin. I other words; make the string spacing so the outer strings are not so close to the full width of the neck. The change made the mandola feel comfortable and a lot more like my mandolin.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

Quote Originally Posted by DougC View Post
    This may not be directly relevant to your question. However it may be an area to explore. The nut width does not describe the exact placement of the strings.

I bought a Collings MT mandola. The nut width was 1 5/16. I noticed that the outer strings were darned close to the binding (the full width of the neck). At least that was my impression. I had been playing a Collings mandolin and the new mandola felt like the outer strings were darned close to the full width of the neck. The guys at my local guitar shop said that guitars are set up that way and Collings puts the strings 'out there' so the guitar players (and not the mandolin players BTW) feel comfortable.

I said that the mandolin does not have the strings so close to the edge, and I was right. So 'what's the deal here?" And they explained that it is 'marketing' to the larger market of guitar players.

You can guess what was my reply. I said that I wanted the string spacing on the nut to be in a similar proportion of nut width to string spacing width as my mandolin. I other words; make the string spacing so the outer strings are not so close to the full width of the neck. The change made the mandola feel comfortable and a lot more like my mandolin.
    Thanks for that. I'm guessing they replaced the nut for you? So far my takeaway from two replies is that it is possible to have the builder place the strings in a way that closely resembles the width spacing on my mandolin - is that right? At this point I guess I should have a longer conversation with him (but I do want to be better informed before the talk). Thanks again.

I like 1.25" width on OM

7. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Al Trujillo View Post
    Thanks for that. I'm guessing they replaced the nut for you? So far my takeaway from two replies is that it is possible to have the builder place the strings in a way that closely resembles the width spacing on my mandolin - is that right? At this point I guess I should have a longer conversation with him (but I do want to be better informed before the talk). Thanks again.
    Yes a new nut was made. I don't have the exact figures but it is not the same as the mandolin. It is a similar set up. Imagine a photo of a mandolin nut blown up to mandola size; a proportionally similar arrangement.

The spacing between each group of strings eg. CC GG DD AA remained the same. The outside strings are now 1/8th inch "in' from the ends of the nut; making the overall distance from the low C to the high A smaller than before.

The result does make the distance between each group of double strings a little closer together.

The mandola is now very comfortable and I have no problem with fingering due to the change.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

9. The following members say thank you to DougC for this post:

I just measured the nut width and also the string width coming off the nut on my Weber Yellowstone F OM.

Nut width is a hair under 1 7/16" or about 36mm.

String width from outer low E to high E is a hair under 1 3/16" or about 30mm.

That's on a 22" scale OM. I think the nut width needs to be proportional to the scale, and you may run into trouble if you crowd these longer strings too close together, so it's more like a mandola or mandolin. They need room to vibrate without touching each other, so you might get some rattling if you pick hard enough with narrow string spacing.

On this particular OM, I wouldn't want the string courses any closer together. The challenge with moving to an OM if you're used to a mandolin, is more about the increased linear finger stretch along the fretboard.

Another factor is the neck profile. Weber OMs like this one have a relatively deep C-shaped neck that some have described as a "baseball bat," which I like myself, but I've heard complaints about it. I have large hands so it works for me, but you may like a shallower neck, which affects the feel of the nut width and string spacing.

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post

On this particular OM, I wouldn't want the string courses any closer together. The challenge with moving to an OM if you're used to a mandolin, is more about the increased linear finger stretch along the fretboard.

Another factor is the neck profile. Weber OMs like this one have a relatively deep C-shaped neck that some have described as a "baseball bat," which I like myself, but I've heard complaints about it. I have large hands so it works for me, but you may like a shallower neck, which affects the feel of the nut width and string spacing.
    I will prefer a shallower neck, and possibly a speed neck, not that I'll play it fast. I feel the challenge will be in stretching my achy fingers more than I am doing now.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Trujillo View Post
    I will prefer a shallower neck, and possibly a speed neck, not that I'll play it fast. I feel the challenge will be in stretching my achy fingers more than I am doing now.
    Understood, but be careful about going too shallow on the neck, especially on a custom build if that's what you're doing. Eight strings is a lot of tension on the top, so you want a strong neck. One of the things I like about this Weber OM is that even though it has a "clubby" neck, it's one of the most stable instruments I own for remaining in tune, and not needing constant fussy adjustments.