Thread: Has Gibson stopped making mandolins???

Default Has Gibson stopped making mandolins???

I just went to Gibson's website, and could not locate a link, photo, or a mention of anything regarding mandolins. Have they stopped making mandolins? If so when did this happen?

Default Re: Has Gibson stopped making mandolins???

Recently discussed with David Harvey weighing in and saying they are still making mandolins daily at Gibson here.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Websites been down for a while now, not sure why, but yes they’re still producing mandolins
    2017 Gibson F5L
    Northfield Big Mon
    Collings D1AT
    Collings D1AVN Varnish
    Collings D2HGT
    1941 Martin D-18

"Too dumb for New York, too ugly for L.A."

Thanks Mike. I wasn't aware of this previous post. Thanks for the link.

Yeah, Mr. Harvey pointed to the great new mandolins at NAMM, which consisted of a couple weird electrics and a one off super duper Bill Monroe copy for something like 40k. Looked like a last hurrah to me. At this point you have to take them at their word, I guess, but it sure reminds me of what happened when they quit making banjos.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mandotrout777 View Post
    Yeah, Mr. Harvey pointed to the great new mandolins at NAMM, which consisted of a couple weird electrics and a one off super duper Bill Monroe copy for something like 40k. Looked like a last hurrah to me. At this point you have to take them at their word, I guess, but it sure reminds me of what happened when they quit making banjos.
    You're only off $15,000 on the price of the Monroe tribute mandolin which is a already spoken for when it arrives. Both Mandolin Store and Morgan Music are still selling new Gibsons and tell us no changes from the company with more on the way. I guess the guy that's responsible for all of that telling us otherwise is just not good enough. Maybe we can all just make up a bunch of news that fits what we think. That seems to be in vogue.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    You're only off $15,000 on the price of the Monroe tribute mandolin which is a already spoken for when it arrives. Both Mandolin Store and Morgan Music are still selling new Gibsons and tell us no changes from the company with more on the way. I guess the guy that's responsible for all of that telling us otherwise is just not good enough. Maybe we can all just make up a bunch of news that fits what we think. That seems to be in vogue.
    Sorry Scott, not making up news, just stating my opinion. I thought that was still allowed. Happy to be wrong about Gibson. I wish they had featured their full mandolin lineup at NAMM along with all of those acoustic guitars.

Monroe Tribute retail price north of 35k so I was off by less than 5k. Sorry for that exaggeration as well. I had no idea the MAP was so much less.

That was my first post in a long time. Thanks for reminding me why I had moved on.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mandotrout777 View Post
    Sorry Scott, not making up news, just stating my opinion. I thought that was still allowed. Happy to be wrong about Gibson. I wish they had featured their full mandolin lineup at NAMM along with all of those acoustic guitars.

Monroe Tribute retail price north of 35k so I was off by less than 5k. Sorry for that exaggeration as well. I had no idea the MAP was so much less.

That was my first post in a long time. Thanks for reminding me why I had moved on.
    Monroe Tribute mandolin is $$24,999.00 - https://themandolinstore.com/product...-master-model/

That one is already sold at that price.

The Mandolin Store has listed three brand new Gibsons the past two days. Better grab one while they're still available. I hear they're ceasing production. I know because I read it on the internet.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

It's a sad day indeed when we can't all enjoy a good internet rumor. I suppose next you're going to be telling me that Bill Monroe, John Hartford and Doc Watson aren't really scheduled to headline at the Opry next Friday. smh.

I suppose next you're going to be telling me that Bill Monroe, John Hartford and Doc Watson aren't really scheduled to headline at the Opry next Friday.
    They are but you really do not want to pay the price of admission.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlM View Post
    They are but you really do not want to pay the price of admission.
    Word. The only tickets available are from the scalpers, and they cost an arm and a leg.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
    I suppose next you're going to be telling me that Bill Monroe, John Hartford and Doc Watson aren't really scheduled to headline at the Opry next Friday.
    I'd die to see that lineup
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	54194778_10217774623374912_6204110474166927360_n.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	175432

Actually witnessed this very day at the Mandolin Store; 5 Gibson's: 4 new, 1 used (an amazing Fern!) with more in the back.

...and, according to Brian, there are more to come with no end in site!

16. The following members say thank you to Gerry Cassidy for this post:

Astro