Thread: Question from Newbie on Bozouki scale length

Default Question from Newbie on Bozouki scale length

Hi all,
    I wonder if anyone can help.
    I would like to build a Bozouki which will be tuned GDAE but would like to build it with the shortest scale possible to make it easier to play in terms of "reach"
    Does anyone know how short of a scale length I can go and what gauges of strings would be suitable.
    I am new to building and would appreciate any help I can get at the moment.
    Thanks
    Brian

Default Re: Question from Newbie on Bozouki scale length

I think you’re moving into octave mandolin territory .

My octave has a scale of 518mm/20.4” which i find manageable compared with its predecessor which was a big stretch at about 23”. Regarding strings I use .011/.022w/.032w/.046w which is close to d’Addario EJ80s I think.

As mentioned above, short scale bouzoukis are really octave mandolins, 20" scale works well, some classical bowl backed OM's were nearer 17-18" but IMO the strings get mighty thick in that range. 20" scale works pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by OneChordTrick View Post

My octave has a scale of 518mm/20.4” which i find manageable compared with its predecessor which was a big stretch at about 23”. Regarding strings I use .011/.022w/.032w/.046w which is close to d’Addario EJ80s I think.
    Thanks for the info, I,m new to this so not quite sure what the difference is between Octave Mandolin and Boxzouki, my group of players include mandolin and fiddle so I need something that will work with both.
    I,m based on the north east of the U.K. And am hoping to base the nstrument on something close to a Sobell

Quote Originally Posted by OneChordTrick View Post

Thanks for the info, I,m new to this so not quite sure what the difference is between Octave Mandolin and Boxzouki, my group of players include mandolin and fiddle so I need something that will work with both.
    I,m based on the north east of the U.K. And am hoping to base the nstrument on something close to a Sobell

The bouzouki is normally tuned GDAD whereas an octave mandolin is GDAE and the bouzouki normally has a longer scale but apart from that I feel that they’re essentially the same.