Thread: Visit to Fiddler's Green in Austin

Default Visit to Fiddler's Green in Austin

Had the pleasure of visiting Fiddlers Green today while finishing up a week in Austin for a conference. I got a chance to play a whole slew of mandos that I would not be able to play at home, as there is nothing of this caliber of acoustic music store to be found south of Dusty Strings in Seattle (heading up there this weekend!).

I entered the shop, immediately saw the mandolin room and made a beeline for the wall with the Ellis', Pavas, Collings' and Flatirons. I did step back and let the friendly fellow behind the desk know that I had made the trek from PDX and wanted to make sure it was ok to spend some time and play everything on the wall. His response was 'Absolutely - that's what they're there for!'

I proceeded to spent the next hour or so able to play the instruments at will, with not a hint of any pressure to buy or to wrap up my session. I had never played any of these higher end instruments, and it was really fun learning about the different tones, necks, finishes, etc. Some notes:

-Damn, Tom Ellis and his crew do a fine job. Played an A5 Deluxe and an F5 Special and just about passed out. Now I understand how folks can drop $12K on a mandolin.

-And I also now understand the chatter about Pavas. I played a satin F5 that was quite close to the Ellis in terms of feel and surprisingly similar in tone. Also, an A5 Pro that really knocked me out. Best bang for the buck in the whole store, IMO.

-Wow, Collings really do project. Easily the loudest of the group. Beautiful balance.

-Northfield F5S is an amazing mandolin for the price. It will likely be my next step up for an f-style.

-There were a couple of models with a standard and wide nut (Northfield F5S and Collings MT). To my surprise, I found that the wide neck was really not as comfortable as I thought. I am coming from many decades of guitar and bass playing, so I thought a wide neck might be something I wanted to try. Very glad to have found out that I like the standard 1 1/8"

-I was impressed, but not knocked out by the Flatirons. Played a '96 F5 Festival and an A5 that just didn't do much for me, tone-wise. I preferred all of the instruments above. Just my ears, YMMV.

Only two small complaints:

-The strings on a lot of the mandolins were really old. Maybe I just caught them right before a string-changing party (and god knows what a pain changing that many mandolin strings would be), but many were in dire need, even on some of the higher $ instruments.

-Not Mando related, but I was expecting more in the way of acoustic guitars, especially Martins. Only a couple hanging on the wall. My wife's biggest fear was that I would not only come home with a mandolin, but with a Martin as well. Very nearly snagged the Northfield, but I'm really looking for an A, and was able to reel myself in and walk down to get some BBQ at Blacks (the best of the four places I tried this week).

Bottom line, I could not have had more fun trying out the many different instruments, and the guys there could not have been nicer and more accomodating. I've signed up for the mailing list and I'll be watching for a Pava satin A5...

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kevin Winn For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Visit to Fiddler's Green in Austin

I've never been to Austin but Fiddlers is on the list when I ever get there. Any chance you might have played the Weber Bighorn? I've had my eye on it.

Kevin Winn, I own a Pave, it really is a very fine instrument - impeccable build quality, equal to Collings IMHO.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LadysSolo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Al Trujillo View Post
    I've never been to Austin but Fiddlers is on the list when I ever get there. Any chance you might have played the Weber Bighorn? I've had my eye on it.
    I didn't play that one, but I did play the Yellowstone they had there, mainly as a way to compare the various instruments. I have an older Bitterroot F, and the Yellowstone sounds very similar. I would suspect that the Bighorn would sound like a Weber, as they have a distinct voice.

Love that place and the fine folks there.

Agree with your assessment on the different brands, as well.

Glad you had a good time.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Winn View Post
    -Northfield F5S is an amazing mandolin for the price. It will likely be my next step up for an f-style.
    So many positive responses on these Northfields - I need to get my hands on one to try. The closest store that carries NF5S is in Lebanon MO, 3 hrs from KC. Just need to find an open day and convince the wife that it would be a fun day trip!
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicknut View Post
    So many positive responses on these Northfields - I need to get my hands on one to try. The closest store that carries NF5S is in Lebanon MO, 3 hrs from KC. Just need to find an open day and convince the wife that it would be a fun day trip!
    Maybe there is something in Lebanon she'd be interested in?
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

10. The following members say thank you to ccravens for this post:

Do we get a separate post rating the BBQ?

Quote Originally Posted by ccravens View Post
    Maybe there is something in Lebanon she'd be interested in?
    Lol, I need to do some researching about the area.
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

Being a local it is really easy for me to spend many hours there (I have) as there is no other store like it in Texas. Ben and his crew are really great about remaining in the background until you need their service or knowledge. You're right about the Ellis - quite stunning to play.

I visited Fiddler's Green a couple months ago. The Ellis F was unbelieveable. The Ratliff F had old strings, but my take was that if it had fresh strings it would have been on par with the Pava. All I could afford that day was a hat and t-shirt. Hope that everyone who enjoys the instruments there walks out with something, ie hat, t-shirt, strings, etc. as small thanks for their generosity and friendliness.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Seale View Post
    Do we get a separate post rating the BBQ?
    Of the four I visited, my rankings:

1. Blacks
    2. Terry Blacks
    3. Iron Works
    4. Stubbs

All were better than anything I can get in Portland. You Texans have a whole 'nother level of understanding about brisket. Blacks was the only one whose mac & cheese was any good.

The F5S is the perfect realizeation of hitting a price point while both satisfying the need for sound, playability and aesthetics. It's only real competition is the Weber Galatin, a much plainer but sonically a worthy contender.

They are very consistently good, with the main cosmetic differences being very moderate to next to no figure in the back wood. Still, given that, a most excellent playing experience, not so very different from a Collings. Given you rarely see one used for less than $2500, you won't loose your shirt upgrading it. For those of moderate means, self imposed or otherwise, it's the way to scratch your F style itch and still aford your single malt habit.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

17. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

We are new to the Hill Country---so I am officially a "local" now. Same thing here---hat, t-shirts, and strings. It is a wonderful shop...a must see if you are in the area. If and when I get the MAS bug, that's where I am making a bee line to.

Quote Originally Posted by swain View Post
    I visited Fiddler's Green a couple months ago. The Ellis F was unbelieveable. The Ratliff F had old strings, but my take was that if it had fresh strings it would have been on par with the Pava. All I could afford that day was a hat and t-shirt. Hope that everyone who enjoys the instruments there walks out with something, ie hat, t-shirt, strings, etc. as small thanks for their generosity and friendliness.

I once found a quilt festival (for the wife) just up the road from a bluegrass festival...a good time was had by all!

20. The following members say thank you to tiltman for this post:

Wow, this post is timely. My wife and I are planning to visit Austin around May for our wedding anniversary. Her idea was to give me some time to go to Fiddler's Green and check out the mandolins. I've never been there and it's the closest place with a good selection to play. Want to get some play time in before I drop some $$ for an upgrade. The OP's write up has really whet my appetite now.
    "If your memories exceed your dreams, you have begun to die." - Anonymous

22. The following members say thank you to FredK for this post:

Of the four I visited, my rankings:

1. Blacks
    2. Terry Blacks
    3. Iron Works
    4. Stubbs

All were better than anything I can get in Portland. You Texans have a whole 'nother level of understanding about brisket. Blacks was the only one whose mac & cheese was any good.
    I'd have to agree on the ranking of those 4. You'll have to come back, I have a whole list of favorites not including those 4.

I'd love to hear those favorites. I will definitely be back, as I was not able to make it down to visit Tom Ellis' shop and I was really disappointed to not get to do that. Are there any good bluegrass festivals there? Not including SXSW, which I barely escaped today.

One thing about the bbq that I will bring home is the serving of sliced dill pickles with the meal. That's a great idea.

Kevin, there's a facebook page called Central Texas Bluegrass that is very active and constantly updates events in the Austin area....hope that helps.

Dill pickles go with everything Texas and bbq. Did you tried the fried pickles?

I'd love to hear those favorites. I will definitely be back, as I was not able to make it down to visit Tom Ellis' shop and I was really disappointed to not get to do that. Are there any good bluegrass festivals there? Not including SXSW, which I barely escaped today.

One thing about the bbq that I will bring home is the serving of sliced dill pickles with the meal. That's a great idea.

26. The following members say thank you to catndahats for this post:

Now I would like to visit Tom Ellis' shop and maybe meet Pava, and get to see the "birthplace" of my mandolin!