Thread: Newbie Identify and help with parts

Default Newbie Identify and help with parts

Cannot find a makers mark anywhere. Planning on having neck reset by professional so I can play it. He mentioned replacing tuners. I don’t want to but would need tuner “bushings” that are 5:57mm I.D. I know this Mando is not worth what I am about to spend but......

Know what it is or where I can find this size bushing?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	013C6C38-21B8-488E-9DC7-1CFCDD502B55.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	558.3 KB 
ID:	175249   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	267036AD-BA64-47CC-9B5E-D911AA7C0903.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	412.1 KB 
ID:	175250   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	399.3 KB 
ID:	175251  

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	157 
Size:	412.2 KB 
ID:	175252   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	105 
Size:	401.0 KB 
ID:	175253  

Default Re: Newbie Identify and help with parts

Forgot to say pegs are 23mm O.C. and 5.57mm dia

You're looking to add bushing where chances are there were none to begin with. If they had been there they would look like half a grommet. They sell these at Stewmac but the sizes aren't exactly what you're looking for.

https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and..._Bushings.html

The 23.0 mm on center tuners are modern size. They are available from multiple manufacturers. Yours are worm under.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Looks like an early Harmony era Stella, has the four dots and the pickguard screwed into the top. It has some kind of label in it. How about a picture, what does it say?

IMHO, looks cool, but not worth putting a lot of money into as nice examples sell cheap on eBay everyday. Also, check eBay, for cheap bushings, some of the cigar box guitar sellers stock them.

Harmony didn't acquire the Stella brand name until decades after that mandolin was made.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

The label is from John platt repair shop in St. Louis. I have light/mirror all inside and no marks. No marks any where! The headstock looks like Sovereign as does tailpiece. I was wondering if “sovereign” was a company before Oscar Schmidt made sovereign.

Sovereign was a name Stella used on some of their slightly upscale instruments even before the Harmony purchase in 1939. This may be a 30's Schmidt made Stella. There is an almost identical one on Reverb currently with the Oscar Schmidt label in it. I don't know how to post a link but the seller name is Rhoads Music in Manheim, PA. NFI.

That does look similar. It came in a GEIB case that looks like that one also. As I said, if I have the neck reset I have too much in it - But, I “think” it might sound good. Any opinions? Body is tight and bridge and nut look kinda ok. Fretboard is well worn and frets are so-so. Need opinion on if it isworth doing on hope of good sound? Thanks

Did a little more digging and found a Stella referencing a “bent top”. This one has a rise in the top that is highest close to where the bridge sits. Is that indicative of a better unit?

Quote Originally Posted by Funkyfingers View Post
    .....if I have the neck reset I have too much in it - But, I “think” it might sound good. Any opinions? Body is tight and bridge and nut look kinda ok. Fretboard is well worn and frets are so-so. Need opinion on if it isworth doing on hope of good sound? Thanks
    Sometimes using a lower bridge will get the mandolin into a playable range and avoid a neck reset. Also try XL gauge strings. If that doesn't do it, it is pretty much a wall-hanger -- without spending more than it is worth on repair.....

Thanks Jeff and Mike. I adjust/replace/make nuts/bridges/saddles to get my guitars set up. This mando was not purchased as a bargain. Wife approved wall hanger that I hoped would play. But I Will measure to see if I can make a low rider bridge that would work.

I'm not sure it's an Oscar Schmidt product but it could be. Several companies made similar mandolins and that tailpiece was used by Harmony and Regal that I know of and probably Kay as well. I have a Regal sitting here with one on it. The shape of the headstock is one way to ID it. Beyond that the hardware and case are interchangeable.

I'm assuming the bent top you are speaking about is actually a top with a cant. This isn't one of those. It's not a better unit, just a different unit. Your mandolin is pretty much a little above entry level. It's not a high end instrument.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber