Thread: John McGann's "Sound Fundamentals"

Default John McGann's "Sound Fundamentals"

I'm on my fourth week of playing mandolin. Since I'm learning without an instructor I've been very concerned about building a proper foundation. I'm spending most of my time on scales and chop chords. A friend who has been playing for four decades checked me out and verified that my technique seemed correct.

Wanting to go further I read about John McGann's "Sound Fundamentals" DVD, looking to buy one. Searching on Google I discovered that it was available in Mandolin Cafe's "Lessons on Demand" for half of the lowest price I could find a used DVD for. Plus, no tax, no shipping and no wait to receive it.

It was a very wise purchase. I learned some new things and generally felt much better grounded, understanding the instrument and the "why" of various techniques. For someone trying to self-teach as I am, I would highly recommend it and believe others with more experience and even those taking lessons may likely also benefit from his instruction.

I also bought John's "Rhythm Mandolin" lesson and it was also very good, especially as I am currently spending much time learning this subject.

The associated paperwork was very easy to find and print out.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Greg P. Stone For This Useful Post:

Default Re: John McGann's "Sound Fundamentals"

John McGann also has some celtic mandolin recordings if you're interested in listening to those!

John was a well liked and respected member of the Cafe. It's nice to see that his legacy is ongoing.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

That is a great video lesson. If you get on Homespun’s email list, you’ll receive daily offers for vastly discounted videos—often 50% or even 65% off. If you go for the instant download option, they’re even cheaper—and no wait, no shipping, no tax.