Thread: Article: Monroe Mandolin Camp Video Scholarship Submission Opens

Blog Entries

Default Article: Monroe Mandolin Camp Video Scholarship Submission Opens

Blog Entries

Default Re: Article: Monroe Mandolin Camp Video Scholarship Submission Op

We have a winner, and he is amongst us, long-time member Don Grieser out of New Mexico is the winner of the 2019 Monroe Mandolin Camp Mandolin Video Scholarship Competition.

Congrats, Don!

Here is his video entry.

Judges for the competition included Frank Solivan, Dr. Richie Brown, Casey Campbell, and Mike Compton.

Here's a little of Don's story in his own words:

I came to the mandolin later in life, at age 40. When I started listening to people who played the mandolin, I was immediately struck by the power and emotional content of Bill Monroe’s playing. I set out to learn his music as best I could while living in an area of the country where bluegrass was not prevalent.

My first encounter with a master player who knew Monroe came when Butch Baldassari taught at the RockyGrass Academy. While not strictly a Monroe style player, he pointed me in the right direction and to the right tunes to learn.

While other styles of mandolin have crept into my playing, I always come back home to Monroe. When I play in the campgrounds at festivals out here in the Southwest, I’m one of very few players who play Monroe style. I’ve gladly shared my knowledge with anyone who wants to learn more about Monroe style mandolin. I’ve taught players in the campground on many occasions to share what I know.

My goals for coming to Monroe camp are the following:

To get total immersion in Monroe style by master players. I’ve been blessed to have studied with a few master players at the RockyGrass Academy and some other workshops. Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to attend an intensive workshop for many years. Instruction from master players is crucial for a deeper understanding of any style of music. While I have a good amount of the vocabulary of the Monroe style, there’s lots of nuances and bits of phrases and ways of expressing musical ideas that I know I could benefit from learning.

To spend time in the area of the country where bluegrass is firmly rooted. I believe a deeper understanding of the music can only come from actually spending some time in the landscape where bluegrass was formed and spending time around the people from that part of the country.

I’d like to learn to be more efficient and slippery/slidey in my playing. I need to learn some right and left hand techniques that can help me prolong my ability to enjoy playing music.

To meet a bunch of people who love Monroe-style mandolin, many of whom I know only over the Internet.

To further develop my voice on the mandolin. I don’t want to be just a preservationist of the Monroe style. I want to play Monroe style in a way that sounds like me. The only way to do this is to learn the Monroe style so well that it becomes ingrained in the way I would approach any tune or break to a song.

I’ve admired the Monroe Camp from the videos I’ve seen on FaceBook and feel like it would be the perfect opportunity for me to expand my understanding of the music that got me hooked on the mandolin.

Congrats Don!

4. The following members say thank you to Gary Leonard for this post:

Don
    Way to go !. You deserve it...congrats.

6. The following members say thank you to Stop for this post:

Congratulations and have a blast!

8. The following members say thank you to Gina Willis for this post:

Congratulations, Don, and well done!

10. The following members say thank you to Paul Statman for this post:

Thanks, folks. Really looking forward to Monroe Camp! Special thanks to everyone at Monroe Camp (and their sponsors like the Cafe) for making the scholarships possible.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Right on, Right on! Good on ya Don... I hope you have a great time!

13. The following members say thank you to Glassweb for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

I’ve gladly shared my knowledge with anyone who wants to learn more about Monroe style mandolin.
    Ain't it the truth!

Congratulations, Don, couldn't have happened for a nicer or more deserving guy. Hope you have a blast!

15. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Congratulations. And very nice playing
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

17. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post: