Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Replacement Tuner Buttons

Default Re: Replacement Tuner Buttons

Quote Originally Posted by AMandolin View Post
    Does anyone know about the 1950’s 1960’s kluson gibson tuners
    If you're looking for replacements they are being made now and available here. If you're looking for replacment buttons for crumbling buttons you have to improvise a bit with the buttons made for Schallers. Frank Ford talks about replacing crumbling buttons on www.frets.com website. The article is here. The Stewmac buttons are here. There may be other sources.

In case you ever wondered what the inside of those Kluson tuners looked like, the late Paul Hostetter posted this picture on a past thread.
    "Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them". These are the words of J. Garber.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Wow, I didn’t realize it was such a crude design.
    " Practice every time you get a chance." - Bill Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by AMandolin View Post
    Wow, I didn’t realize it was such a crude design.
    I didn't either until Paul posted that picture. I always assumed the cover was more protection than anything else. I was wrong.
    "Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them". These are the words of J. Garber.

So, surfing around I ran across an old article by a respected source. How bout this:
    http://www.lutherie.net/gotoh.compared.html

by this thread BOTH his examples are Sagas. Hmmm.

Enlighten me, I don't know what you're using as examples. Paul's pages were based on older models.

I'm assuming your read the part about the bushing under the post. That's a recent addition to the Gotoh tuners. When Paul built that page they weren't there yet. The only way to determine Saga from Gotoh is the size of the shaft where the button is mounted. There is a slight difference in the plate width but the button size is a glaring difference. Even the rivet descriptions have changed.

8. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Mike is correct. Current Saga knockoffs do not feature the new design that Gotoh switched to many years ago when they ditched the square posts.

You can know that they are older Gotoh's if they have square mounts for the buttons. New saga knockoffs have the 2 flat 2 round design.
    Scott R.
    -
    2017 Pava A5 Pro - Autumn Burst
    1987 Flatiron F5 Artist
    Ellis F5 #464 - Just got here.

Want to list your instruments with galleries in your signature?
    Check out RuttList Instrument Archive to create your own galleries for free.