Thread: Collings TKL USA Made Case

Default Collings TKL USA Made Case

I recently purchased a Collings MF Satin Finish Mandolin from Telluride Music in Colorado. Great price on an New Old Stock 2016 Model. It came with a US made TKL F style case with a Collings label on it. The case, to me, is of a much higher quality than TKL cases I've owned in the past. As far as I know, the past TKL cases I've owned were Canadian made. This one has a much better quality handle and stronger latches. The padding inside is much thicker and its also a better, all-around tighter fit for the mandolin. The case is also sturdier and weighs a bit more. In comparing it with the TKL that came with my Gibson F5G is appears to have a higher and wider arch. I've contacted Collings as I wondered if TKL makes these cases specially for Collings. Also asked Collings if they will sell these individually. I realize these aren't the custom cases made exclusively by Collings in their own shop for the higher end models.
    I wondered if anyone at the Cafe knew anything about these TKL, Collings labeled cases? Thanks. The photo is one I took of the case opened with my F5G in it. Wanted to see how the Gibson fit in the case.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GibsonF5G.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	175143  
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

Default Re: Collings TKL USA Made Case

My MT came with a TKL case "made exclusively for Collings." Super nice and sturdy, and I can't ever see it wearing out.

3. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

Just as you can buy an MT or splurge for an MF5, a case company can make you what you are willing to pay them for. I have A TKL case from the higher end of the food chain that is quite nice, but I've seen garden varieties too at half the cost. Both offer good value.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

The quality on the newer Cedar Creek cases (these are what Collings is using for all their mandolins going forward now) has improved. They have the old style latches, and seem to be better QC'd. My guess is that the companies had a sit down and addressed the issues they were having, as companies should.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Any idea when Collings started shipping with Cedar Creek rather than TKL? I assumed the one my mandola came in (beginning of ‘17) was a TKL but it smells just like my Cedar Creek GBOM case.

EDIT - the Collings website says that their mandolas are shipping with TKL cases.
    Last edited by Ray(T); Mar-03-2019 at 5:35pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    Any idea when Collings started shipping with Cedar Creek rather than TKL? I assumed the one my mandola came in (beginning of ‘17) was a TKL but it smells just like my Cedar Creek GBOM case.
    My TKL with the Collings Logo was dated 03/16/2015 and had a TKL inspection card inside. The mandolin was from 2016. It also had a TKL tab attached to the case compartment lid, just as my Gibson and any TKL case I have owned has. Only difference this read "Made in USA" and not Canada. Even the Collings emblem on the outside of the case read "Made exclusively by TKL." It's been my experience for TKL to put their monogram on their cases. If it isn't marked anywhere might be a Cedar Creek.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

8. The following members say thank you to Bill Kammerzell for this post:

Ray(T) 

TKL and Cedar Creek are one in the same. The same company bought out Harptone, which was originally in NYC. I believe the parent company name is TKL. Badged either way, it’s the same company and management.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

10. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

I just received an email from TKL customer service. Found it pretty interesting. According to the TKL customer service rep, they build the cases they build for Collings at a custom shop in the USA according to Collings specs. The rep said to have the same case built to the same specs would cost $500.00. Wow.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

12. The following members say thank you to Bill Kammerzell for this post:

Well, I just got an email from Collings on the same F style case. The customer service rep, Mark, tells me that Collings sells the same case for $300.00 plus shipping. Considerably less. He said he would offer it to me at $270.00 plus shipping. That looks like 10% off.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

14. The following members say thank you to Bill Kammerzell for this post: