Thread: Stringing an A 1

Default Stringing an A 1

So there I was, playing my A 1 when it occurred to me I had never put strings on it. I think I bought it in November, and don't think the strings were new then, so my thoughts:

I've never had a simple stamped tailpiece. The cover slid off perfect. Not too tight, not too loose. Really a pretty darned good design and the way the pivot tabs grab the windings of the high strings made it a snap. No issues at all.

106 years of durability too. I have not really heard this mandolin, still haven't as the strings haven't settled in, but I sure do like the brightness, relatively speaking of course.The problem, first world I know, with having a dozen instruments is keeping the strings fresh. I vow to do better.

Used my last EJ 74 set, so off to Gryphon tomorrow, always dangerous. It is insidious how with each visit the thought of spending $5k seem more and more reasonable.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Blog Entries

Default Re: Stringing an A 1

Honestly, I have grown to like the sound of somewhat worn strings, I generally change them only when tuning or sound really starts to degrade - which for me is a couple hundred hours.

The only time I change them for performance is when it's a truly huge gig or I'm getting paid significantly. I have 8 gigs in a course of two weeks coming up, will likely change them a week to 10 days ahead so that tuning/sound has settled.

I used to be meticulous about them, until I started to realize that I preferred the sound of older strings and that a bandmate really didn't like the sound of my fresh strings. Easier to just wash my hands really well before picking up the instrument and wiping it down after, which for me gives me a nice long life out of J74's.
    Collings MT2
    Breedlove OF
    Ellie eMando
    Schmergl Devastator

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    Honestly, I have grown to like the sound of somewhat worn strings..............I started to realize that I preferred the sound of older strings and that a bandmate really didn't like the sound of my fresh strings.
    You may have hit upon something that may explain the popularity of Elixir strings, IMHO. When I first heard them (on a guitar) I thought to myself, "these are not exactly dull sounding, but not nearly as bright and crisp as a fresh set of phosphor bronze strings." However, I will add that they feel great on the fingers and they retain that "slightly less than fresh" sound for a long time, so they have their fans.....

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

So, BrIck, did you use all 12 chads?

I do.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

5. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

I put D'Addario NB on both of my oval hole mandolins last April and they are still going strong. I may change the strings on at least one of them soon if only to try out the monel strings I bought last year.

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post

I do.

f-d
    Took me a minute to deduce what the heck a "chad" was.......................

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    Honestly, I have grown to like the sound of somewhat worn strings, .
    J74s (EJ74s) in particular sound really bright for the first two weeks of play. But (at the rate I play anyway), they get wonderful right around then and are good for four to six months (again at the rate i play).
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post

I do.

f-d
    I left no chad hanging.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Br1ck For This Useful Post:

when i used phos. brnz. strings i changed them often. now,with daddario monel,hardly ever. clean,fundamental tone,long time.
    this on two gibson f5 mandos.

I need to try monels on something soon. Forgot to buy some yesterday and am NOT going back to Gryphon soon. Too dangerous.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Yes, it is time for one of my three mandolins in general rotation to get new strings. I am still on the NBs for all three. I, too, like the way they sound from the moment they are on and tuned up. I might go back to J-74 or EXP-74s sometime but maybe not too soon.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

What strings are the Cafe members preference these days for their teen Gibson A1 and A2 without truss rods?
    Last edited by Barry Canada; Mar-03-2019 at 9:23pm. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Canada View Post
    What strings are the Cafe members preference thes days for these teen Gibson A1 and A2 ma dos without truss rods?
    My A Jr has a D'Addario J74, my 1910 A has J73. But I'm lazy. Do have flatwounds, stainless steel and silk & still I'd like to try. Just haven't gotten around to it. Like others have mentioned, both these mandolins sound good after the strings have been on for a while. Like months. The tone just sounds better to my ears. But using a thinner pick probably compensates for the duller strings.

Thing is, I also prefer older strings on my Gibson acoustic guitar. Maybe not as dead sounding as some old-timers like, but anything after a few weeks is good.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

I've just replaced a set of EJ74s on my 1917 A1 with a set of light gauge Curt Mangan Monels. What a delight! The instrument just rings with a bell tone that is lovely to hear and play. They appear to be very stable in terms of tuning, and are just as loud as the medium gauge EJ74s that were on before. That signature "tubbiness" has been reduced to a nice mellow bottom end. I've put maybe 6-7 hours in on the strings so far, and looking forward to seeing what they are like after a week or two. I play EJ74s on my MT and MF, and as hoped, the Monels are adding a very different voice to the mix.
    Russ
    Make America Grateful Again!

2013 Collings MF, 2017 Northfield NF2S, 2019 Northfield Big Mon F
    1968 Martin D12-20, 2008 Martin HD28, 2022 Martin CEO 7
    1978 Ibanez Artist "Flying Eagle" Masterclone Banjo

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I drove mine with Thomastiks for many years. The 154ST's. It is now wearing the EXP 74CM.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A