Thread: Grass Talk Radio GTR-105 - How To Pick With Grisman

Fetches news & information NewsFetcher's Avatar

Default Grass Talk Radio GTR-105 - How To Pick With Grisman

A new issue of Grass Talk Radio Podcast has just been published:

GrassTalkRadio.com - Episode 105

How To Pick With Grisman -#Would your wildest dreams come true if you could sit and jam with David Grisman for hours on end? Or maybe Tony Rice, Sam Bush, Jerry Garcia, or any of your musical heros? You'd be surprised at how easily this can be done. And guess what? You will become a better player at the same time.

I also give a quick update on the progress of the Apricot Ale I brewed during Episode 104.
    If you enjoy the show you can support what I am doing by visiting my online store at http://www.payhip.com/bradleylaird.
    For additional goodies, be sure to scope out the show notes here: http://www.bradleylaird.com/podcast/...how-notes.html
    GrassTalkRadio is a show for people who play or are learning to play bluegrass--one of the rare styles in which you can easily meet and possibly jam with the biggest "stars" in the genre!

More...

Default Re: Grass Talk Radio GTR-105 - How To Pick With Grisman

Enjoyed listening to this.
    Have played with some of my music heroes just jamming at festivals and house concerts. Some great experiences!
    I pick with Dawg every day though. There is a close to continual stream of DGQ on the speakers at my house and a mandolin at the ready.
    Whenever the mood strikes, I play along.

3. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

Blog Entries

Thanks, colorado! I am glad you enjoyed the podcast and thanks for saying so.

On playing with records and learning the whole album start to finish, I have found it to be a good kind of disciplined goal, fun when it is accomplished, and I know it builds ability and “ears” in subtle but sure ways.

Thanks again.

5. The following members say thank you to bradlaird for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bradlaird View Post
    learning the whole album start to finish
    Definitely!

One of my favorite memories of doing a weekly gig with a trio for 5 years is the time when we covered Dylan's `Infidels' as a set.

So much work getting all the songs down, trying to nail the feel for each individual tune. I played a couple tunes from that album regularly, but repeat `one-off' tunes in a set led to a really loose and fun feel by the end.

Talk in my current band of doing the Earle/McCoury `The Mountain' for a set, minus the tune we all decided we don't like lol
    Collings MT2
    Breedlove OF
    Ellie eMando
    Schmergl Devastator

I finished this episode on my drive home Friday, and as a beginner wanting to expand my practice material, I think this is a great idea. I really like Grisman's "Dawg Plays Big Mon", and it seems like a great candidate, with its sparse arrangements of bluegrass standards.

Thanks for the tips.
    The Loar LM-220 VS

Blog Entries

Thanks, y’all for your comments on this idea. Podcasting can be a hauntingly isolating experience and I appreciate the two-way communication.

Plus, the Cafe is a great place to do that. I can barely stand going on FB long enough to announce a new episode. Just too much chatter for my ears.

Michael Smith (cafe member) and his band did a show at the Red Light in ATL where they performed the Manzanita album. That is a lot of work and requires significant talent too! But anyone can play along with such recordings, without attempting to learn every lick note for note and still gain a lot from it.