Thread: Eastman mandolins

Default Eastman mandolins

Eastman mandolins are great instruments for the money! I have a new md 305 and a older md 505 cs they both are very good instruments. These instruments are good enough for anyone to play. I usually shell out for the best but I am amazed at the quality of my Eastman’s does anyone else agree?

Default Re: Eastman mandolins

I'm very pleased with my MD505 and MD315. Appearance, fit and finish, playability, volume and quality of sound - all have been very good and I feel both are very good values. I play more expensive mandolins when I have the opportunity (mainly Collings and old Gibsons, as well as the higher priced Eastman models), and so far I've walked away very happy with the two instruments I have.
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

I have some mighty nice mandolins and the Eastman 315 hangs in there. Of course it is hot rodded a bit with larger frets, Grover 309 tuners and an Allen tailpiece. It is an early model that came into the shop with the curl broken off of the peghead and great flame in the back and that early red stain they used back then. It is a hoss sound wise.

I had a 515 on trial, beautiful instrument, clear notes, no issues. however it was not the sound I want and I knew it would not get played enough to keep it so I sent it back. I like a more dry woody sound. So it comes down to preference. No doubt I would have kept it if it were my first and only.

Quote Originally Posted by mee View Post
    I had a 515 on trial, beautiful instrument, clear notes, no issues. however it was not the sound I want and I knew it would not get played enough to keep it so I sent it back. I like a more dry woody sound. So it comes down to preference. No doubt I would have kept it if it were my first and only.
    Great description. My old Eastman 505 was clear and bright, but there wasn’t much sound from the wood itself. I always felt like I heard more strings than wood. But I played a 305 once that was plenty dry and woody sounding. My Eastman was from the first years of production, and they have gotten a lot better at making them.

In the first mandolin class I attended, the instructor said that there were some good Eastmans to be found, so I took a chance when one came up on the Café. It is an Eastman 615 (now 14 yrs old) that I bought a few yrs ago. A (vintage Gibson) player with whom I jam on occasion has played it and really likes the sound. A recent refret and CA bridge upgrade by Lynn Dudenbostel has resulted in a dramatic improvement in sound and playability. In an evening of jamming it really opens up in a beautiful way. The finish is a bit funky in places, but so what, it sounds great.

I had a 505 - nice instrument but I found the neck just a tad too narrow for my tastes (this was before they widened the necks and made them a bit chunkier).

My son got a 305 last summer - newer style with cast tailpiece. It absolutely rocks - loud, punchy, woody and really strong chop. And a really comfy neck!

I fondly remember my 505, as it was the instrument that got me hooked. I've since moved on to what I believe are better mandolins, of which I have no allusion can't be bettered at the next price point. My mandolins hang with mandolins to about five grand, so the likelyhood of me ever getting there is slim.

But the likes of Heiden, Sorenson, Ellis, et al, prove daily that better is out there. But I make a point of playing Eastmans for a frame of reference, and continue to marvel at the 315. That is a lot of mandolin for the money and we should be glad they are out there. I don't see the value in buying a mandolin more expensive unless you get a master series Kentucky, or splurge on a Northfield or better.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    But I make a point of playing Eastmans for a frame of reference, and continue to marvel at the 315. That is a lot of mandolin for the money and we should be glad they are out there. I don't see the value in buying a mandolin more expensive unless you get a master series Kentucky, or splurge on a Northfield or better.
    I’ve been considering a Northfield but have not yet found one to try. What characteristics of a Northfield are significantly better than the MD315? Volume? Tone? Playability? Other? I’ve listened to demos on YouTube and it’s tough to compare instruments that way.
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

I have an MD 815v that I bought to keep occupied with while I was waiting for a custom build last year. I walked into a music store and picked it up and pretty much bought it on the spot, I liked the sunburst color and the tone was pretty impressive and the price was great. I had planned to sell it when I got my other one built but then thought I might as well hang on to it for gigging, etc. The only complaint about it is that the wood on the neck block is kind of coarse looking and I don't know how that one got sent out. I like it too much otherwise to be willing to let it go.

Eastman's "great sound for the money" moniker I would echo with their acoustic guitars as well.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

Quote Originally Posted by rick frank View Post
    I have an MD 815v that I bought to keep occupied with while I was waiting for a custom build last year. I walked into a music store and picked it up and pretty much bought it on the spot, I liked the sunburst color and the tone was pretty impressive and the price was great. I had planned to sell it when I got my other one built but then thought I might as well hang on to it for gigging, etc. The only complaint about it is that the wood on the neck block is kind of coarse looking and I don't know how that one got sent out. I like it too much otherwise to be willing to let it go.
    I have always been a fan of the finish on the 800 series. They tend to have a hand-rubbed look to them, like a violin.

EDIT: I think I'm thinking of the 900 series....
    Last edited by Caleb; Feb-28-2019 at 8:56pm.

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicknut View Post
    I’ve been considering a Northfield but have not yet found one to try. What characteristics of a Northfield are significantly better than the MD315? Volume? Tone? Playability? Other? I’ve listened to demos on YouTube and it’s tough to compare instruments that way.
    I started with an Epiphone, upgraded to an Eastman 815. Loved it-super value, very nice mandolin. Just recently bought a Northfield, and I like it even better-chop is woodier, finish is a bit nicer, intonation is great. I think when it comes to the higher-end Eastmans and the Northfields, it comes down to the specific instrument.

I have played 815s and 915s that were terrific instruments; I have not played a lot of Northfields, but I found a good one, and it's just a bit closer to the woody sound I prefer. It was also set up a lot better than the 815 I had been playing. In my opinion, a new Northfield will come with a better setup than a new Eastman.

The Northfield I bought came with a kick-ass case, as well.

14. The following members say thank you to jphalabuk for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by jphalabuk View Post
    In my opinion, a new Northfield will come with a better setup than a new Eastman.
    When you say “setup,” are you talking about the things covered by a standard professional setup? If so I would think that would be a non-issue if you planned to get a professional setup on either the Eastman or the Northfield. Or are you talking about structural differences?

How about volume? That you didn’t mention volume makes me suspect that volume isn’t much different?
    Doug Brock

I really like my 504. I wasn't sure I would when I took the chance and bought sight unseen it last spring. It has that short neck oval hole sound I was looking for without the worries of buying a 100 year old instrument off the internet. It plays well with a good dealer setup from the Mandolin Store and has an overall good feel to it (neck shape and size). I am not a fan of the rosette, the smaller frets, or the heavier looking finish, but I knew about and accepted those things when I bought it.

The NF is a significant step up from the lowest Eastman model and I don’t believe one can really compare the two.

I went from the Eastman 315 to the Northfield Master Model built in 2014. As expected the Northfield is superior to the 315 in every way, that’s not a ding on the 315 it’s a great instrument for $7-800 but it’s nowhere near the class the Northfield F Models are in.

I think the Northfield F5S is a fabulous instrument for the price point of $2,900 if you can find one. I ordered my F5M mainly because I couldn’t find a F5S. Now they have branched out to the Artist Series which are really nice, I played one of the first ones a couple years ago. Everytime a pro has played my F5M at a camp they had very nice things to say about it and one wanted to buy it from me on the spot.

If you are really interested in the NF contact them directly, they are a delight to deal with either thru email or on the phone.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

All the above. Several years ago, I visited The Mandolin Store with the intent of playing myself up the ladder to see for myself the performance you get for price. My mandolin at the time was an Eastman 505. I played two or three of both Eastman and Kentucky mandolins. They were all in the same sonic ballpark. Undoubtedly nicer appointments up the ladder, but all were thin sounding with a hard to describe G string sound I find annoying. I'm talking relativity here, I could live with any of them.

Then they put a Kentucky 900 in my hands, which was a whole new ballgame. Much warmer and richer tone. Really a new world. From there, the next step was a Northfield F5S. This was not the jump going to the 900 was, but audible nonetheless, at a cost of another thousand dollars over a master F like a 1000 or 1050. I sat there thinking that was a lot for a little, but felt if I didn't buy the Northfield, I'd be sorry every time I played a Kentucky, and I really think the Kentucky has a lot going for it. If I had a thousand to spend, I'd find a used master series.

Of course then they put a new F9 in my hands and I cried uncle, I can't take this any further. Wow,nI love the Gibson chop.

I was not seriously shopping, and made it clear, but was treated exceeding well at TMS, as I'd bought my Eastman from them.

I continue to like every F5S I've ever played. I like the rich tone, the classy look, and it's playability. Nothing I've played for the money is better, though you need to play a Webber Gallatin too. And if Ken Ratcliff continues to offer to send his Silverangels out on spec, that could get you hooked too. For pure tone for the dollar those SAs that come up for 1200-1400 dollars are a steal. Mine holds a candle to any Collings, not better or worse, just a different flavor.

So back to the F5S. IMHO,you can't go wrong with one. One caveat, I've seen some with next to no flame, and they never have a lot, heck they are 3k, so if you are shallow like me, find a pretty one which is 3 out of 4.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

19. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post

And if Ken Ratcliff continues to offer to send his Silverangels out on spec, that could get you hooked too. For pure tone for the dollar those SAs that come up for 1200-1400 dollars are a steal. Mine holds a candle to any Collings, not better or worse, just a different flavor.

Any way to describe the sonic/tonal/sound difference/flavor between the Silverangels and the Collings? Gibson sound I know, Collings I know; how does the Slverangel fit into that palette?

I know these kinds of things are subjective and possibly difficult to describe..
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

OK, I'll try. The SA is a warmer tonal pallet. Ken believes in a kick a** G string. Very resonant. Has the depth to chop through a three ft redwood log. Mine happens to have a redwood cross braced top. It leans in the direction of an oval hole, but has the projection of an f.

The Collings to me leans toward the top end. Perhaps crisper, like you'd want it in a jam. Didn't used to like them, but I've changed my tune. I've since built me an F with an adi top, turning into a beast that I've been playing mostly these days, but every time I pick up the SA, it sings. Plenty of highs. So I use my A 1 for celtic and old time, the SA for fiddle tunes, and the Arches kit for pure power.

I think you'd like an SA plenty. Check out the bluegrass youTube vids, and tell me that doesn't work. The fact you can keep a grand in your bank account over getting an MT is icing on the cake. Getting Ken to send you one with only return shipping at stake is something I'd recommend in a heartbeat. Now I'm not at all saying what you would do if you could play them side by side. It is so subjective. They are on the same quality level as far as sound. Hard to beat Collings fit and finish, but you can get a fully bound A style SA for less than a Collings will run you.

Subjective, subjective, subjective.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

22. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post: