Thread: The big hustle

Default The big hustle

I had a very interesting afternoon with a friend in Santa Cruz at a store (not Sylvan). We walked in and the guy behind the counter asked what we were interested in. I said I wasn't buying but liked mandolins. He got on the phone and called the owner who came about 10 minutes later and said he had some Loar era Gibsons he'd get out of the safe. I said fine, if he wanted to show me old mandolins, I'd play them. First up was a 23 A 4. It was very nice, crisper than my '13 A 1. Then the " you won't ever find one this nice ever", like it was the last good one on earth. He only wanted $8K for it.

Then came the F 4, also a '23, which I'd class as VG condition. It was also the best one on the planet. Only $20K. Never ever find one this nice.

Then came the '28 F 5, which was the loudest bluegrass banjo killer ever. Odd that I though my Arches kit is way louder, but don't get me wrong, it was lovely. But I had to understand I'd never hear it's true power, you had to be in the audience to truly appreciate this $60K wonder.

I was happy to play all three but the good natured hustle was starting to get to me. But heck, my friend was off playing electrics, so we went into the acoustic guitar room and I was handed an $8k SCGC Tony Rice (used) then a series of $6K 60s Martins, then progressively cheaper guitars, all really nice, untill we got into the 3K range. He was just throwing the kitchen sink at me. Cello mandolins, tenor guitars, you name it. Most were in" unbelievable "condition. Actually they were not overpriced.

My friend bought an old Harmony electric and as we were going out the door, he said that old Gibson could be had cheaper because it's owner needed the money.

So I got to play a bunch of old vintage instruments for the price of the constant hustle. I've learned there is ALWAYS a better instrument out there. Shop shall remain nameless because if not a great experience, was at least nutral. But, cash out your IRA and buy vintage instruments? LOL
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Br1ck For This Useful Post:

Default Re: The big hustle

That is a really great story. And a great counterpoint to the other recent thread about Gruhn’s, where apparently they are “gentlemen” and you can spend all day playing everything on the wall with no intention of buying and no sales pressure whatsoever.But in this store you had to “pay” for the privelege by listening to someone actually trying to sell something. So what’s wrong with that? Nothing at all, to my way of thinking. It is a retail business after all, selling things to make a profit is their bread and butter. It actually freaks me out when I go to a store and the folks there act like they couldn’t possibly care less if I buy something.

My father was a traveling salesman, and a very good one. Salesmanship is a definite skill set. He used to say you don’t sell the steak, you sell the sizzle. Sounds like that’s exactly what this guy was doing. But 20,000 for an F4? who the heck is pricing these things for him? Even if the prices are inflated to allow for dickering, that one is beyond the pal.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

4. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Are you sure you weren't at a used car lot?
    Living’ in the Mitten

6. The following members say thank you to Steve Ostrander for this post:

The job is “Selling” not, waiting.
    Much like when you go out to an expanse of water and throw a fly, spinner, bait or whatever...
    It’s called “Fishing” not “Catching”!
    Just a salespersons point of view.
    At least you had a little fun. It’s not a big hustle, it’s a job.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Well I was in sales, and he was using all the sales 101 techniques, setting up obvious questions to set up a series of positive responses, the old give them two positive ways to answer yes, instead of yes or no. Just what you'd go to a sales seminar for.

I do believe he was looking for a sucker, and was disappointed when I said stuff like, too bad it's not a snakehead. Hey, it's his business to run as he sees fit. But I may not ever go back, and he kept running down his competitors in town, never a sales tool. I've seen near mint twenties Gibsons before too, so the line you'll never see one nicer was bull. Overselling what were very nice examples of vintage mandolins.

Then when my friend asked what was the best price he could do, he gave him the old are you ready to buy today line, yes right from used car University. But I did play some nice old tenors, acoustics and mandolins. No free lunch.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Too funny. The market is surely soft right now. And 60K for a 20's fern is actually in the ball park. A well-known picker was asking that for his mid 30's fern.

You also sound like you played “the game” as well as tenors, acoustics and mandolins.
    I get the feeling you want it both ways, and on your terms. I think it’s interesting that even though you have a history of sales, had no intention of purchasing, and let the guy who is trying to make a living by selling instruments jump through hoops, you have the audacity to call the guy out for doing his job.
    You played the hustle in reverse. To be fair, I have done that to irritating staff too. Usually so someone else might test drive something they actually might buy.
    No harm, no foul, we’re all still friends but gee, Really?

Those are sales tactics of vacuum cleaner sales not fine instruments, I agree, but, maybe the guy is just hungry? Not defense, just opinion.
    I feel like a devils advocate on this I see both sides and dislike both, sales staff should not do that and, customers should not have to endure it, I totally agree. Sales staff should also allow people to be advocates for the integrity of a store as well, if both parties are playing games, it’s not to any benefit.
    Timothy F. Lewis

I was very up front I was not there to buy. I was with a friend . I was there two hours and the owner was pitching me for and hour forty five. I told him multiple times he had better things to do with his time. I made every effort. Hand me a $6k guitar, I said it was nice, but I'd never spend that. Handed me another, and another. It was fun to play some 60s D 28s. Said I'd never spend more that $5k on a mandolin and he brought three out that were double to 10 times more, hoping I'd want it so bad I'd liquidate my 401K. Hey, I walked in, I could have walked out too.

But I was not left alone with an instrument for three minutes. If I were looking for something he had and was serious about spending $6k. I'd just nicely but firmly tell him to leave me alone with the guitar for a half hour. When I bought my 65 Epiphone Texan in the same town, a guy came back in ten minutes to ask if I needed anything, then left me alone for two hours to fall in love with the guitar.

I was killing time while my friend was deciding to buy and old Harmony electric. The owner was just throwing mud at the wall hoping something would stick.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I’d just not go back.
    Timothy F. Lewis