Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carbon fiber mandolins

Default Re: Carbon fiber mandolins

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bartl View Post
    Just to finish this: A couple of weeks ago I bought a used Peter Mix A model from the classifieds here. Never having handled one, I hoped for the best. The seller generously agreed to a 48-hour trial period. What I got was one great instrument! It is built! The tone is obviously very different from my vintage Gibsons/Vegas ... but fun getting used to and fun learning to get the most from. I expect to visit my vintage mandos from time to time, but the Mix will be where I live. Thanks to everyone for your feedback.

Paul B., thanks for the jam session suggestions. I hope I can try these out in the near future ... you'll know me by my mando!

Joe

Congrats and welcome to the Mix club. On the now defunct New Mad website there used to to be some great videos of Peter Mix playing his CF. Do these live on the web anywhere? They were some original songs with very tasty chord melody style playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry View Post
    Congrats and welcome to the Mix club. On the now defunct New Mad website there used to to be some great videos of Peter Mix playing his CF. Do these live on the web anywhere? They were some original songs with very tasty chord melody style playing.
    He did a whole series of playing various mandolins. You can ask him (he sometimes appears around here) maybe he can post again.

Here he is playing the lovely tune "Sophia in Paris." This was not from the above series.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I have a Mix A5 carbon fiber mandolin, thinking of parting with mine, excellent condition, what is one valued at these days ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	received_357821791768730.jpeg 
Views:	191 
Size:	223.1 KB 
ID:	185295Click image for larger version. 

Name:	received_366460847593126.jpeg 
Views:	145 
Size:	286.2 KB 
ID:	185296Click image for larger version. 

Name:	received_970276229978341.jpeg 
Views:	135 
Size:	432.6 KB 
ID:	185297Click image for larger version. 

Name:	received_2399880190066924.jpeg 
Views:	138 
Size:	449.4 KB 
ID:	185298

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chinslip For This Useful Post:

Marty’s take on instruments and the market is open-eyed and refreshing, given the obviously real factors of tradition, cosmetics and small-shop capability. I have no doubt that it is possible to engineer acoustic instruments in materials and shapes to sonic and ergonomic goals, and that the process can be efficient and economical. We’re in about the third human generation of electric stringed instruments and their acceptance is universal, no matter what they look like. Even classical music folk, possibly restricted to historical tonalities and apparatus in some settings, are not afraid to pick up a silent and strange-shaped instrument.
    So, the wood and horse hoof glue instruments with pretty decoration will persist as a separate art, and there’s plenty of room for them, and for those who love and appreciate craft and tradition.
    A relative of ours, a moderately famous composer and bandleader, had an ultimate objective of music delivered direct from his brain to those in the audience. We will get there...

7. The following members say thank you to Richard500 for this post:

Chinslip, who made that mandolin?
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Don, I built this one. You like? Here's another one of mine...

Name:	imag3e.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	824.9 KB 
ID:	185303

10. The following members say thank you to Chinslip for this post:

Perry 

I do like how they look. You've obviously put a lot of work into them. How do they sound?
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave

Quote Originally Posted by Chinslip View Post

And are you thinking of marketing them?

They sound good. Not like a traditional instrument but still good. The copper top ones sound better then solid CF. The plan was to make and sell them but there's not a huge demand for CF mandolins. I sold one about a year ago for $1200 CND and barely broke even. So now I'm proud of them and just show them off. Look for my YouTube videos search for "carbon fiber mandolin" I use the same username...chinslip

Blog Entries

Interesting!

'20 Ellis A5 Tradition, '09 Gilchrist Model 1, “July 9” Red Diamond F-5, '12 Duff F-5, '19 Collings MT2, ’24 A2-Z, ’24 F-2, '13 Collings mandola, '82 D-35, Gibson Keb Mo. http://www.bucktownrevue.com

I play a weekly boat cruise on the Mississippi River here in the midwest. It is humid, even more so being on the river. Not sure if they will happen this year or not. I am doubting it. I would love a carbon fiber mandolin for these should they continue.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Chinslip, that sounds really good. Congrats. You should be able to sell them for more than $1200 CN.

Quote Originally Posted by amowry View Post
    I got to play Marty’s protoype, and it sounds amazing. I was totally blown away. Looks great too!
    'Hard to get a more solid recommendation than that!
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

18. The following members say thank you to j. condino for this post:

hank 

Quote Originally Posted by j. condino View Post
    'Hard to get a more solid recommendation than that!
    Psssh you can't believe everything you read on the internet ;-)

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marty Jacobson For This Useful Post:

I'd be curious to hear how you guys have approached designing the neck of a carbon fiber mando. Are you building the layers up around a wood core? Any consideration regarding fiber orientation the amount of final relief you want in the neck with when the instrument is under tension? Is there a truss rod in there?

Marty from looking at your super cool prototype on your website it looks like yes to a wood core and no to a truss rod...?

Also, any guesstimates on how Modulus Bass necks are constructed? They seem like they've really nailed introducing a composite material into the mainstream market...though bass players might be a little more open to breaking from tradition lol.

Oops...
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Pauza View Post
    Any consideration regarding fiber orientation and the amount of final relief you want in the neck with when the instrument is under tension?

Hi guys, I'm attaching a couple of photos of a body after releasing from the mold. This body was not used as I felt it was not perfect. Notice the hollow neck? It's all one piece from end to end. No wood or trust rod. They have never moved from string tension.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image (1).jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	263.1 KB 
ID:	185545Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image (2).jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	199.7 KB 
ID:	185546

Mine is similar, hollow neck. The wood on mine is just for blocking in the headstock for standard tuning machine installation.
    Mine also didn't bow.. until I left it in the car in Moab Utah in July... hence the search for a new, Moab Utah-proof resin chemisty, haha. Most of my carbon fiber mandolin inquiries have been from people who travel and can't control the conditions their instruments are put into.

My custom-made carbon fiber A5 has had zero trouble dealing with the frequently brutal climate in North Thailand, though I have been careful never to leave it in a car for any length of time. It has spent months in rooms where the ambient temperature frequently hits 30C (mid-80's Fahrenheit) and where humidity is regularly extremely high. I never had a single problem with it related to weather, but although I'll never be able to afford to go the custom route again, if circumstances changed, I'd commission a wooden instrument from someone like Marty or the Girouards or Pava. Consider the builder first, materials second.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post
    Mine also didn't bow.. until I left it in the car in Moab Utah in July...
    Yes, carbon fibre laminates are safe enough at human tolerable temperatures, but cars in sunshine will vastly exceed that. Shipping containers on the outside of the stack en route through the tropics may also get too hot for safety. There are such things as high temperature resin systems - at a price - but don't leave your instrument anywhere you wouldn't be yourself is always good advice... no matter what it's constructed from.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinslip View Post

Wow--that's a beauty!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Pfeiff View Post
    Wow--that's a beauty!
    Thanks

https://www.zmandolins.com/
    After reading this thread I found these guys. Interesting and thought I’d share

30. The following members say thank you to hogans hero for this post:

I'm waiting for the Lava Mando. They have guitars and ukes at reasonable prices, but only available on Amazon. (Hmmm) I'd still like to try one before I believe anything I've read or seen on YouTube.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	9.7 KB 
ID:	187935