Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Double Stop Fiddle Shop Lost to Fire

Default Re: Double Stop Fiddle Shop Lost to Fire

Awesome! The gods (and the Fire Dept.) were obviously smiling on Mr. Berline and his Loar as steel safes are far from fireproof, they only delay fire and heat damage for a short period of time, like 1,300 degrees for 20-30 minutes. Local fire had to have acted very quickly (likely unknowingly) in getting that fire out in order to save his beast.

2. The following members say thank you to mtucker for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Eagle View Post
    Since it's mentioned in post #43, what Byron has looks like a Mark Leaf case, no?.
    I believe that was post #42

4. The following members say thank you to Paul Statman for this post:

For those unfamiliar with Leaf cases, they are made of rigid foam (think insulation) covered by a fiberglass (think fire resistant) skin. They are a lot like very tough coolers with a nearly waterproof gasket (think refrigerator) on the lid.
    We can chalk the survival of the Loar up to good fortune, but it seems to me that it was a result of proper planning as much as anything - in a safe, in a Leaf case.
    I still have two Leaf cases that I use for storing and transporting some of my more valuable instruments, and I have a safe in my shop, and that is where customer's valuable instruments (think Loar) reside while I am not working on them.

I don't know Byron Berline personally, but I hope he, his family and his business associates come through this as well as possible.

I wonder if there is some way those of us who are accomplished at instrument repair could offer to help...

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sunburst For This Useful Post:

Question Re: Double Stop Fiddle Shop Lost to Fire

Quote Originally Posted by RobBob View Post
    There just may be a run on Calton cases now.
    ?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Statman For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Yes its a real blessing the Loar survived! If you watch the youtube video you can see that it "The 23 Loar F-5" did get some water damage, cloudy on the back and the treble side and Byron said the label was wet but still a great save! It was just a few years ago that a nice 25 Fern F-5 got the full ravages of a house fire! I know Byron had some old, old violins that weren't so lucky! Its such a shame but should be an eye opener for us Loar owners or any high quality instrument owner! I'd be devastated if something like a fire took my Loar or Fern or even my favorite mandolin my old beat up 30's F-7 conversion! These things can't be replaced, sure you could get another for some serious $ but its still not the same as all are different! Lucky some would say for him but still the devastation you could see on his face before he opened the Loar case after seeing the uncased violins in the safe, I think he thought it was toasted? His reaction was priceless when he opened the case, I'm thrilled another vintage F-5 was saved! If it would've been in water for much longer it would be completely apart! I've seen this years ago with a Loar that was in a flood of some sort that Charles Johnson had years ago for sale, but now its been restored to its former glory, well not original its still saved!

I nearly cried when the case was opened and the mandolin emerged in one piece with little damage. I hope he rebuilds soon. Been to the shows numerous times and really enjoyed the concerts.

A fire resistant gun safe is not all that expensive, but it does take up a lot of room and doesn't hold too many (large) instruments. Things can get hot in there, and suffer some moisture damage. However, it's a lot better protection than no protection. You could see many intact fiddles in the safe as well. I'm sure they all suffered at least a little, but they're not ashes. My most expensive instruments aren't Loars, but still, old Martins are pricy enough. I've thought of buying a second safe for that reason. Maybe I'll think a little harder about that now....

12. The following members say thank you to Buck for this post:

Blog Entries

I agree I need a safe after all this eye opening visualizations! I'd hate to see my Loar and Fern and well other expensive rare instruments gone! I'd be lost indeed as I worked real hard for what I have. Pure devastation, I'd skip sad and go straight to angry for my own stupidity on not doing my part to shift these to the next generation! Were all just present keepers of these things to pass on through the ages! If one thinks about it can you really imagine all the golden era violins that didn't stand the test of time with, fire, war, displacement, theft, plain destruction because of jealousy? This can be said also with mandolins and guitars from our pre WWII era!

Not much to say except what a terrible loss!

In 2017 the wildfires destroyed much of Santa Rosa, California. I have a friend who had a really good 6' tall safe in his house. The fire destroyed the house, and the safe MELTED, as well as everything inside. And nothing is really 100% safe (pardon the pun).
    John A. Karsemeyer

On a related note, about 40 years ago when I became a photographer (back in the day of film and darkrooms! ) I did a good amount of research to find a safe that would protect my negatives -- but unfortunately, as mentioned above, every safe only delays the effects of fire and heat, giving extra time, but not preventing damage totally if the fire continues too long. Of course, still a good idea for theft protection, etc.......

Hi folks, I believe most of us are mandolin players and reference Loyd Loar, but that is one special mandolin, but what about the “two hundred fiddles”? True Tragedy!

Don't keep saying it was a Calton. It was in an older small style Mark Leaf fiberglass coated case made by Mark Leaf. The seal is a semi-water tight seal and yes it did suffer some lower point separation, water hazing on finish in lower area and the label was wet. The amazing thing is it was still in tune and he picked a tune on it. The sad part is Byron, a most beloved master fiddler in bluegrass (Monroe/Country Gazette/Berline/Cary/Hickman/Dillard and Clark to name a few, did lose, I estimate, a million dollars or more in instruments and his music store business. There are several ways to donate to help him get back to work doing what he loves to do, teaching the bluegrass instruments, repairing instruments and selling vintage instruments. I will donate some money for his loss and you should too. Berline has given me a lifetime of great bluegrass music. Here are the current Byron Berline funding links...

1. https://www.gofundme.com/byron-berli...ddle-shop-fire

2. Checks to InterBank, 224 East Oklahoma Ave., Guthrie, OK 73044

3. https://www.facebook.com/donate/4298...1157280356554/

Double Stop Fiddle Shop - Authorized Post-Fire Support Page: https://www.facebook.com/doublestopsupport
    Post any other offers here.

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to f5loar For This Useful Post:

Here's another video. The Loar was in a big safe and some of the violins look like they took the heat badly. He takes out the Loar and opens the case around 3:30.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Lucky person. That says alot of the quality case as well.

Quote Originally Posted by slimt View Post
    Lucky person. That says alot of the quality case as well.
    Mark Leaf (I believe). No longer made and weigh a lot but very protective (obviously).
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

That mandolin will have one amazing story attached to it from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Mark Leaf (I believe). No longer made and weigh a lot but very protective (obviously).
    My Leaf mando case weighs very close to my Loar case. The Leaf is no burden to carry.
    ..... f5joe

26. The following members say thank you to f5joe for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by f5joe View Post
    My Leaf mando case weighs very close to my Loar case. The Leaf is no burden to carry.
    Yep. Not heavy, at all.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlanN For This Useful Post:

It would be really cool for someone from Fretboard Journal to wait a brief period for Mr. Berline to settle a bit, and then interview him about this experience and especially this mandolin, to write it up for publication. I am sure it would make very interesting reading, and would document this historical event. I am sure Fretboard Journal would take just the right approach, being sensitive to Mr. Berline while reporting on this instrument. This really is an important moment in the life of a historic instrument. And I am sure Mr. Berline has more than one amazing story to tell.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bob Clark For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Water is the most destructive force in nature more so than fire isn't it? No case is really safe from water getting in, some are just better at slowing the process, water can get into anything. I'm sorry for his loss with everything but the 23 Loar will be saved, and hopefully some of the older violins? I know he had some from the 1700's right? It looked like some bows were saved if that was them in the smaller cases before he pulled out the Loar case? Some of those old bows are worth as much as a Loar correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Clark View Post
    It would be really cool for someone from Fretboard Journal to wait a brief period for Mr. Berline to settle a bit, and then interview him about this experience and especially this mandolin, to write it up for publication. I am sure it would make very interesting reading, and would document this historical event. I am sure Fretboard Journal would take just the right approach, being sensitive to Mr. Berline while reporting on this instrument. This really is an important moment in the life of a historic instrument. And I am sure Mr. Berline has more than one amazing story to tell.
    Hmmmm...this goes a few steps past baking it in the oven! Didn't Frank Wakefield do that? He might have some interesting assessments about changes in the tone when he finally sits down to evaluate things...hope he and his shop come back better than before!
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    ...The sad part is Byron, a most beloved master fiddler in bluegrass (Monroe/Country Gazette/Berline/Cary/Hickman/Dillard and Clark to name a few, did lose, I estimate, a million dollars or more in instruments and his music store business....
    I'm guessing you're correct, and as you imply, probably on the light end of the estimated loss. No one who hasn't run a business can fully appreciate the potential for loss, which is more than just what was damaged. I don't know whether he owned the building or not. If he didn't, he may still be obligated to make rent payments depending on the terms of the lease. If he did, the insurance coverage even to the building might be very limited. The damage to anything he owned outright is one thing, but some of the stock was new it may have been on a line of credit. There's the loss of income between now and when the store opens again. Employees who can't be paid now may have to find other jobs, making them unavailable in the future. And the list goes on.

All that said, it was good to see him smiling in those videos. If he can smile right now, he can probably keep perspective and overcome. Thanks so much for the donation links.

Exactly, Byron's smile says a lot to me. Very hopeful. A lot of people wouldn't be able to smile, I'm thinking.

Good luck getting back to "normal," Byron.

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Wonderful clips showing the retrieval. Great news re the Loar and like everyone else, grateful no-one was hurt.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;