Thread: Mandocaster?

Default Mandocaster?

Hey guys & gals,
    Starting to get interested in a Mandocaster. Curious about experiences with one & advice.

Do the Fender Mandocasters that were the reissue sound as good as the originals? The asking prices are allot more for the originals but that could be "collector" values.

Experience with other makes?

Should I look at 4 string or 8 string models?

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Mandocaster?

I always fancied one of the originals but could never justify the price. The build quality on the (now discontinued) repros. is fine. The only criticism is the pickup but I fitted an Almuse (uander £40 UK) and I can’t fault it.

No direct experience but I’ve heard that the originals were difficult to tune accurately. I wanted a different sound so 4 strings was my preference.

3. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

+1 on repros with Almuse pickup.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill McCall For This Useful Post:

I have one of the newer 4 stings. Never played an original, so I can't compare. It doesn't get a lot of use, but I do enjoy it. For me it helps fill a niche when playing rock/folk rock.
    “Like winds and sunsets, wild things were taken for granted until progress began to do away with them. Now we face the question whether a still higher ‘standard of living’ is worth its cost in things natural, wild and free.” -- Aldo Leopold

7. The following members say thank you to trodgers for this post:

I have one, it works great. I had to set it up and add Almuse pickups. Comes in handy if you play with a drummer.

9. The following members say thank you to Walter Peterson for this post:

I had one, though not a Fender. I spent quite a lot of money on upgrades from Almuse, and the results were very pleasing, though not pleasing enough to make me play it very much, so I sold it.

11. The following members say thank you to Ron McMillan for this post:

I've had a couple of 60's Fender mandolins, and tome, they weren't that great sounding. I think that most of the price difference is collector "value".
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters

13. The following members say thank you to John Rosett for this post:

Thanks! Guess I will start looking now.
    Curious about other brands but if close to the same cost then why not a Fender 4 String~!

Are you set on a Mandocaster or will you look at other shapes?

I’m very happy with my Ashbury AM240

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...Ashbury-AM-240

It replaced a cheap (approx $100) Mandocaster and I’m still very happy with it. Way lighter than its predecessor but more importantly easy to play and a great tone with the stock pickup.

16. The following members say thank you to OneChordTrick for this post:

looks great! is that bridge adjustable?

Blog Entries

https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...andolin_Review

If I didn't already have one of these (an EMC-5), I'd be having DTs trying to find one.

Four, five, or eight strings is up to you.
    - How would it fit your repertoire?
    - Are you solo? In a band?
    - Do you have an amp, or do you plan on going through the PA?

I started with an Epiphone Mandobird IV. I'd start with 4 strings and really explore it as a different instrument than your usual 8 string mandolins. If you feel the need for 8 strings then get one of those. If you wish you had some more bottom end to reach some of those cool guitar riffs, get a 5 string.

Look into all kinds by starting here: http://www.emando.com

Hope this helps!
    Daniel

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Nestlerode For This Useful Post:

I bought one of the new Fenders about five years ago. Haven’t played it in two or three. The price was right, and it’s simple and sturdy and cute. I had a lot of fun trying effects and had some success getting that vintage-English psychedelic folk-rock sound and played it in the band quite a lot. I found the 4 strings easy to keep in tune and easier on the fingers than an 8-string for a long gig.
    Played clean, it can certainly put out that Western Swing sound.

Down sides:

-Factory pickup doesn’t pick up the E string very well—you can sort this using various effects though, I never got around to the pickup upgrade.
    - 4-string just doesn’t have a mando sound—sound is good but all those overtones and unison double notes just aren’t there.
    -Single pickup, not a lot of tonal variation in that. (You have to like experimenting with effects pedals, a lot, to get that).
    -It is so simple in construction, it verges on crude, although fit and finish are (just) OK. Ergo, despite the decal, it really doesn’t have the Fender cachet. Not that Fender mandos have much cachet in the first place.

I haven’t been playing it because our band scaled down to an all-acoustic thing and I’m sticking with my Eastman, on a mic or with a Schertler Dyn-M pickup. And I’m just not that motivated to pick it up and dig out all those fx boxes...

I am not disinterested in having a solid electric mando, but the custom small-shop ones look like good value too, and more decked out than the bare#bones Fender. I’d like to try a Jermyn or Mann, and extend to either 5-string or a proper 8-string. Sometime.

Here’s the best fun I had with it (running signal through short delay and Auto-wah). You can see how the e-string doesn’t pick up the wah. For some reason this is my most-watched music clip on youtube. https://youtu.be/fiWvXpIQdKk

Hope that gives you some useful insight. They are good value for sure.

21. The following members say thank you to Bill Cameron for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by prairieschooner View Post
    looks great! is that bridge adjustable?
    Yes, it’s what I’d call a “standard” mandolin bridge for a flattop. You can move it fore and aft for intonation but if you want to change the intonation you need to get the sandpaper ot

23. The following members say thank you to OneChordTrick for this post:

Thanks for the replies the more I research the more I think about trying to build one.
    I am thinking 4 strings because as the video from Bill Cameron shows that is the different sound I am looking for. The Almuse Vee has a look that haunts me but not sure how hard this would be.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45159295_1890435644327468_947901781898166272_o.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	175082   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45108110_1890435540994145_7954921753141051392_o.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	175083  

25. The following members say thank you to prairieschooner for this post:

Personally, if I was thinking about building one (which I’m not), I’d start by buying a case and build one which fitted it. The problem with electric mandolins seems to be than nobody makes cases for them.

27. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

I bought one of the newer 4 string ones when it came out and was somewhat disappointed in the sound, mainly the no volume E string and intonation issues because of the bridge. Installed a almuse pickup,moongazer bridge and changed the pots with les paul jr's. It screams now and plays in tune.
    Hughes F-5 #1
    Hughes A model #1
    1922 Gibson A-2
    1958 Gibson A-5

29. The following members say thank you to Vernon Hughes for this post:

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

I play a Jbovier ELS, which they don't make any more, but if you can find one, give it a try. I love it - it's my favourite mandolin.

The new mandocasters are I think just as good as the old ones, and should age into a very decent instrument indeed.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

31. The following members say thank you to David Lewis for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by OneChordTrick View Post
    Are you set on a Mandocaster or will you look at other shapes?

I’m very happy with my Ashbury AM240

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...Ashbury-AM-240

It replaced a cheap (approx $100) Mandocaster and I’m still very happy with it. Way lighter than its predecessor but more importantly easy to play and a great tone with the stock pickup.
    It gives me a Brian May vibe, though it's also reminiscent of an SG. Either way, I think it's beautiful.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay

33. The following members say thank you to David Lewis for this post:

Thanks!

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Why particularly the 'caster? Is it for the body style, or the sound you associate with it as a mandolin? I ask because of the electronics. The 'caster and the Ashbury are single coils & lipsticks. Lipsticks in particular usually run hot and loud (not in a good way) from my experience. I'm always inclined to put on a good humbucker and a three-way switch (at least) for more tonal possibilities. I've been told by builders there is too limited space for multiple pickups (usually) on an e-mando to make a real difference in sound, so I am really discerning regarding my pickup choices.

In the Quiver
    Stealie, Jerman Custom, Almuse Moongazer (wired 3-way)
    Dillion 335 style, stock Alnico 5 humbucker (p/p 2-way)

Come & Gone, (my oh my)
    Jerman #11 had a Bartolini twin rail.
    Bessy, a KM-300E had a lipstick; replaced with a Wilde Bill Lawrence L-45S
    Epiphone Mandobird, stayed stock (and sounded fine, but Pete Mallinson's hot rodded 'bird had me drooling)

Then of course, there is the entire 4-5-8 strings conversation, covered by threads numerous times over the years.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

36. The following members say thank you to Dave Greenspoon for this post:

I am thinking of a solid bodied electric mandolin for the sound. I am playing a Collings MT2 and interested in another sound just for giggles.
    Dave, I came to a similar conclusion about the pickups so leaning more towards building because I maybe a bit cheap. I have some really nice ribbon stripped Honduras Mahogany & it could be a great way to use that. Besides it wouldn't need to be completed in a day and I could easily purchase parts over time.
    Really like the Stealie, Jerman Custom, Almuse Moongazer!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Greenspoon View Post
    Why particularly the 'caster? Is it for the body style, or the sound you associate with it as a mandolin? I ask because of the electronics. The 'caster and the Ashbury are single coils & lipsticks. Lipsticks in particular usually run hot and loud (not in a good way) from my experience. I'm always inclined to put on a good humbucker and a three-way switch (at least) for more tonal possibilities. I've been told by builders there is too limited space for multiple pickups (usually) on an e-mando to make a real difference in sound, so I am really discerning regarding my pickup choices.

<snip>
    I'd been warned that the lipstick pickup on the Ashbury would be harsh - if that's what you mean by hot? Sort of distorted/dirty, almost overdriven? I had an Almuse pickup on the mandocaster that I had before. If anything the lipstick is quieter than the Almuse and the sound is as "clean".

P.S. What exactly is a lipstick pick up? How does it differ from a single coil? Is it just the shape or is it different inside?

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Nestlerode View Post
    https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...andolin_Review

If I didn't already have one of these (an EMC-5), I'd be having DTs trying to find one.

Four, five, or eight strings is up to you.
    - How would it fit your repertoire?
    - Are you solo? In a band?
    - Do you have an amp, or do you plan on going through the PA?

I started with an Epiphone Mandobird IV. I'd start with 4 strings and really explore it as a different instrument than your usual 8 string mandolins. If you feel the need for 8 strings then get one of those. If you wish you had some more bottom end to reach some of those cool guitar riffs, get a 5 string.

Look into all kinds by starting here: http://www.emando.com

Hope this helps!
    Daniel
    Did JBovier make the best solid bodies? I think there's an argument they did.