Thread: Amateur Build for The Blarney Stoners

Default Amateur Build for The Blarney Stoners

So, I am new here, but figure I would share the insanity I am working on. My band, The Real Blarney Stoners is expanding to full Celtic Rock/Punk. With that I am learning Mandolin. I have an old Sonotta I believe with a 13" scale. As a guitarist with big fingers, this is some kind of insane torture device. I got to thinking.... I built a guitar, why not build a Mandolin?
    So, after seeing a friend's octave Mandolin, I got thinking on scale length. Based on what I've seen, I can eek by with a 15" scale and still be able to tune it as a Mandolin and not a Mandola.
    First drunken night, I took to a pencil, piece of paper, and a red pastel.

So, after cursing the sun the next morning, I started looking for wood. (Yes I said it) I found a couple heavy kickers I nabbed from a lumber mill.

Then I realized I still had the neck from a 7 string I never got around to. That's genuine Honduran Mahogany! I had sandwitched a piece of Bloodwood in there because the neck blank was too thin for the ridiculous guitar. On top of that, I found a fretboard blank that was also never used! Bloodwood!

Then what can I make the headstock out of? If only I had... Wait? Could it be? It is! Another random hunk of Honduran Mahogany! Also, the Curly Maple and Bloodwood face I started making for the nasty guitar! On a side note, I think I have a Bloodwood fetish.

I got the wood (heh) that looks like enough to cobble together a little electric Mandolin. So! Off to the planer! The face of the headstock cleaned up nice!

Bless me those kickers look like Walnut and Oak! I can work with that!

I can not work with that. My oak has more splits in it than an American football cheerleading team. You know, I bet I can make this into a Semi Hollow Body! Why not? Mandolin ES335! Well, now I need a front and back. Look mom! I got wood!

I've also had this plank of Wenge hanging around! Surely I can Book match that! Guess who didn't take and pictures of the Wenge, taking it to the table saw, and then reciprocating saw when my blade wouldn't get all the way? That's right. This guy! Planed out nice though.

But if I am going to use a fancy wood like that, I can't just paint it. I guess I've got to stain it..... I can't stain Wenge to be red..... Well, how hard could inlaying be?

So, with pieces mostly planed, I gathered them for a group photo to feed the Instagram Ego! Look at that Filter! That took me about 3 minutes! Had to get the reds to pop! That'll get me likes! If I get enough likes, my life will be validated, I'm sure!

17 likes.... I am a superstar now! Please hold the autograph requests!! So, with my fragile ego properly stroked, I started cutting the boards. This should work-ish. That bit of the oak isn't the worst... Really!

Now get gluing, boy!

Did I say quit?! *Whip crack*

That's more like it. Now just to plane that...... What do you mean the planer is shooting Sparks?!

~Heeb

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BlarneyStoners For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Amateur Build for The Blarney Stoners

Keep going, Heeb!
    Rush Burkhardt
    Towson, MD

Free opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them!

Love it, espicially the way you’ve obviously spent ages obsessing about the design and the woods to use

It took me so long to find the perfect wood and exact design! Also, I think I'm going about 1 1/8-1 1/4" at the nut and about 1.5" at the bridge. Going to need to make a jig... Or dance a jig.... I'll decide when I get there. The leprechauns may take care of the taper for me.