Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to the cafe

Default New to the cafe

First let me say I am not a musician. I rarely even listen to music but, I love the sound of a mandolin. I enjoy country, folk and Irish. One of my favorite artists is Stan Rodgers.

I am a 61 year old retired engineer who spent 32 years building airplanes. I am a machinist, welder and builder of race cars. I come from a long line Irish blacksmiths, not musicians.

I bought a Rogue A style mandolin about 15 years ago and tried to learn how to play it by learning notes. After a year of trying I gave up and it went into the closet. A couple of years ago my friend, who plays guitar, asked if he could borrow it to play. So after I retired he encouraged me to pick it up again. This time I am learning chords and making some progress.

My daughter is a student at The University of Georgia in musical education. She sings like an angel. My tinkering with mandolin has given us yet another connection and I really enjoy our discussions on music theory.

My end goal is not to be in a band nor play for anyone. My goal is to entertain myself and learn something new.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to neilca For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: New to the cafe

Welcome!

It sounds like you've got a good thing going...a friend who plays guitar and a daughter that sings! There's always something new to learn...sounds like a good time to me.
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

4. The following members say thank you to wildpikr for this post:

neilca 

Do yourself a big favor and upgrade your mandolin. You will be pleasantly surprised how easy a decently well setup mandolin will play. There are many what should I buy threads. And since you have the type of mind that wants to know how things work, start with the free e book by member Rob Meldrum. It will detail how to do a proper setup. We have site sponsors who setup each instrument they sell.

Welcome to the journey.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Br1ck For This Useful Post:

Mandolin is fun, nice and portable, glad you are enjoying it.

I think mando is a nice easy-to-learn instrument, mostly because it is not as complicated as guitar (only 4 strings), but still useful as a rhythm instrument, and it can do melody too.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    Do yourself a big favor and upgrade your mandolin. You will be pleasantly surprised how easy a decently well setup mandolin will play. There are many what should I buy threads. And since you have the type of mind that wants to know how things work, start with the free e book by member Rob Meldrum. It will detail how to do a proper setup. We have site sponsors who setup each instrument they sell.

Welcome to the journey.
    My guitar buddy said it was much easier to play an electric guitar than acoustic, so I have already bought an Eastwood Mandocaster. I know that was not your suggestion but, that is were I am today. I received it just yesterday and have yet to play it.

9. The following members say thank you to neilca for this post:

Welcome to the Cafe!
    “Like winds and sunsets, wild things were taken for granted until progress began to do away with them. Now we face the question whether a still higher ‘standard of living’ is worth its cost in things natural, wild and free.” -- Aldo Leopold

11. The following members say thank you to trodgers for this post:

neilca 

Welcome Neil. Enjoy the learning process.

13. The following members say thank you to Stacey Morris for this post:

neilca 

Yes, 4 string electrics are easier on the fingers. I wonder if you might like a ukelele also, they are crazy popular these days, uke camps have sprouted up like weeds. Ukes are also easy to play, nylon strings are easy on the fingers too.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

15. The following members say thank you to kurth83 for this post:

neilca 

Quote Originally Posted by neilca View Post
    First let me say I am not a musician.
    Too late. You play an instrument, so now you are a musician. And it sound like you have a burgeoning interest in playing music.

There are quite a few folks here on Mandolin Cafe who started playing later in life, so you are in good company. Keep at it and it will grow in enjoyment. Welcome to this club.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Good for you, and remember it is supposed to be fun, frustrating and challenging. Good luck, it's never too late to learn.

Welcome to the club, Neilca!
    Your story is somewhat similar to mine...I've been "learning" guitar off and on for 40 years, raising kids, career, health, and life just taking priority. The musical ability gene passed me by, but my kids got it, so I am pretty happy. Before I retired last year, I got the mandolin bug, bought a nice mandolin thinking I'd never have any money after retirement, and it has been a great move. Mostly a two finger chord guy so far, a little picking, I currently play just for myself and occasionally family get togethers---married into a big bluegrass clan.

This site has been the most welcoming, helpful place I visit in my mandolin journey. Too old and unpolished to go pro, but love playing and it keeps the mind sharp--always a challenge. My goal is just to play better today than yesterday.
    Enjoy your time!

First let me say I am not a musician. I rarely even listen to music but, I love the sound of a mandolin. I enjoy country, folk and Irish. One of my favorite artists is Stan Rodgers.

I am a 61 year old retired engineer who spent 32 years building airplanes. I am a machinist, welder and builder of race cars. I come from a long line Irish blacksmiths, not musicians.

I bought a Rogue A style mandolin about 15 years ago and tried to learn how to play it by learning notes. After a year of trying I gave up and it went into the closet. A couple of years ago my friend, who plays guitar, asked if he could borrow it to play. So after I retired he encouraged me to pick it up again. This time I am learning chords and making some progress.

My daughter is a student at The University of Georgia in musical education. She sings like an angel. My tinkering with mandolin has given us yet another connection and I really enjoy our discussions on music theory.

My end goal is not to be in a band nor play for anyone. My goal is to entertain myself and learn something new.

Welcome to the mandolin and the cafe! I've personally found the mandolin is a perfect melody instrument that also plays chords - which means don't limit yourself, play whatever you want in whatever manner you want. Your journey should be as entertaining and fun as you can make it!
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Registered User Valerie Jestice's Avatar

I know this is kind of off the subject, but what kind of airplanes did you build?
    Shawnee Creek #88
    The Mixson#1
    1945 Taylorcraft

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

I don't think an electric mandolin is necessarily any easier to play than an acoustic,as long as they're both set up properly.
    I'd recommend learning how to set up that Rogue,whether or not you decide to buy an upgrade mandolin. Mandolins need minor tweaks from time to time and it's good to be able to do some of those yourself.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

I think an acoustic verses an electric mandolin is like real mashed potatoes verses those that come out of a box. The boxed taters are a reasonable facsimile and are great for what they are but if you haven't had real peeled mashed potatoes you don't really know what they are supposed to taste like. If you play an electric mandolin it can be alright for what it is made for and fun to play but it is still a reasonable facsimile. If you never play an acoustic you don't really know what a mandolin " tastes" like.

Blog Entries

As a retired sorta kinda engineer who picked up the mandolin well after retirement, I offer three thoughts:
    1. Welcome to the bunch.
    2. The sooner you can get to thinking about the sound of the tune you are trying to play instead of the logic of how to make that tune come out of the mandolin, the quicker you will progress. Otherwise, you will always be limited by human reaction time, which is way too slow.
    3. I concur 100% about learning to do a decent (if not excellent) setup on your Rogue. I did that and found the end result to be quite playable and pretty good sounding. Plus I learned a lot about a mandolin in the process. Rob Meldrum's ebook (see my sig) is a good guide.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by HonketyHank View Post
    ... a decent (if not excellent) setup on your Rogue. ...
    Heartily agree! Even after the (almost inevitable!) upgrade, it's good to have a beater around for more casual or, uhm, risky occasions. And by "beater" I don't necessarily mean an instrument that's damaged or worn out - just one that won't break the bank when it gets rained on, or slips overboard, or the 3-year-old decides to share his ice cream!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Valerie Jestice View Post
    I know this is kind of off the subject, but what kind of airplanes did you build?
    Most of my time was on the F-117A and F-22 with a bit on F-35.

Quote Originally Posted by HonketyHank View Post
    As a retired sorta kinda engineer who picked up the mandolin well after retirement, I offer three thoughts:
    1. Welcome to the bunch.
    2. The sooner you can get to thinking about the sound of the tune you are trying to play instead of the logic of how to make that tune come out of the mandolin, the quicker you will progress. Otherwise, you will always be limited by human reaction time, which is way too slow.
    3. I concur 100% about learning to do a decent (if not excellent) setup on your Rogue. I did that and found the end result to be quite playable and pretty good sounding. Plus I learned a lot about a mandolin in the process. Rob Meldrum's ebook (see my sig) is a good guide.
    Number 2 is my greatest challenge particularly as an engineer.

The Rogue is still my primary instrument, the electric is a bit of an experiment. Right now it has four strings but may soon get a full load of eight

Thought I would give an update. I have not given up! I moved to a tenor guitar tuned GDAE and still play with the mandolin. My rhythm, or lack there of, is a problem. I still cannot hear the music. I am far to mechanical still. I can finger the chords pretty well but my right hand is holding me back.

Still tryin...…..

29. The following members say thank you to neilca for this post:

Welcome to the cafe'! Keep at it!

Welcome to the Cafe, Neil.
    Age no problem -I was sixty last month. Just lots of learning to do, how about a dance class, too? That will sort your rhythm out. Tai Chi class is another option, anything that gets you to work on overall physical coordination.
    All you have to know is that if you work in all the different areas then you’ll get there.
    Good luck, you’re in a good place!

Peace. Love. Mandolin. Gelsenbury's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A thing that really helps with rhythm is to listen to a lot of music. Any genre will do. But exposure to music is essential to get that rhythm in your blood. When you find yourself tapping your foot or fingers to the music, transferring the rhythm to your hands is a smaller step.

Apparently dancing helps too, but I never got into it.

Keep trying. I took up mandolin in my late 50s after starting guitar in my early teens-20s, then the guitar got put away for lots of years of family/life in the way. Picked guitar back up, then fell in love with the mandolin. Now mandolin is #1 and guitar is #2. You will get it, keep trying!

Welcome to the forum. We all start out as beginners. I thing that almost anyone can learn the basics of an instrument and learn how to play simple songs if you are willing to practice.

Learning the notes of a scale is pretty easy. Learning rhythm is a lifetime endeavor, but you just have to keep practicing. Go to the main page of the site, and look for Learn/Listen at the top. Scroll down and look for TablEdit. Download the free version, and the files for the songs. There are videos out there on YouTube on how to use TablEdit, but it's not too hard. You can pick an easy song that you know, like Happy Birthday, and slow it way down. Then you play along by following the bouncing ball. Don't speed up until you've mastered the slowest settings, then slowly crank up the speed.

Many new players focus only on the left hand and try to fret the notes. The right hand controls the tempo, and is probably more important. Make sure you focus on alternating the up and down patterns. It's hard at first, but becomes natural after a bit.

Good luck, and have fun!
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

35. The following members say thank you to Austin Bob for this post: