Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to the cafe

Default Re: New to the cafe

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Bob View Post
    Welcome to the forum. We all start out as beginners. I thing that almost anyone can learn the basics of an instrument and learn how to play simple songs if you are willing to practice.

Learning the notes of a scale is pretty easy. Learning rhythm is a lifetime endeavor, but you just have to keep practicing. Go to the main page of the site, and look for Learn/Listen at the top. Scroll down and look for TablEdit. Download the free version, and the files for the songs. There are videos out there on YouTube on how to use TablEdit, but it's not too hard. You can pick an easy song that you know, like Happy Birthday, and slow it way down. Then you play along by following the bouncing ball. Don't speed up until you've mastered the slowest settings, then slowly crank up the speed.

Many new players focus only on the left hand and try to fret the notes. The right hand controls the tempo, and is probably more important. Make sure you focus on alternating the up and down patterns. It's hard at first, but becomes natural after a bit.

Good luck, and have fun!
    Thanks Bob, I have downloaded the software. I have reviewed a few songs but need to Google the instructions on how to read it. Looks promising.

Blog Entries

Welcome, Neil (I assume from CA)... my fellow Californian who plays mandolin! Well, you built aircraft so there is a pretty good chance you are from the Left Coast. Enjoy playing and you will really like this group. Dan

Quote Originally Posted by neilca View Post
    Thanks Bob, I have downloaded the software. I have reviewed a few songs but need to Google the instructions on how to read it. Looks promising.
    Yes, the other thing is investing in yourself with lessons, even just a couple will get you oriented and will help a lot. Tab for example can be explained much easier with someone. Or/and try Peghead Nation? I seem to remember people in California being friendly enough too, and there are a fair number of festivals there.

Quote Originally Posted by lflngpicker View Post
    Welcome, Neil (I assume from CA)... my fellow Californian who plays mandolin! Well, you built aircraft so there is a pretty good chance you are from the Left Coast. Enjoy playing and you will really like this group. Dan
    The CA comes from the first two letters of my last name Cawley. I live in Marietta, GA. I need to update my profile.

Blog Entries

Welcome to the mandolin and the Mandolin Cafe. I'm pretty similar to you in terms of playing and goals. There are several members that also share your work background. Hope you have fun with the instrument.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +