Thread: Sicilienne

Default Sicilienne

I present to you the famous Sicilienne (1924) fraudulently attributed to Maria Theresia Paradis (1759–1824) by its "discoverer"/actual composer Samuel Dushkin (1891–1976). Regarding upstems, I tend to tremolo most of dotted-eighth length or longer, take eighth notes with a downstroke, and sixteenths with a downstroke on the beat and an upstroke off. I only tremolo the downstems specifically notated. Crosses indicate left-hand pizzicato. . . . And enjoy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Paradis-Sicilienne.pdf  
    Last edited by Eugene; Feb-21-2019 at 11:32am.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Eugene For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Sicilienne

Typographic error alert! Be patient with me.

Remedied.

Lovely piece. I must have played this on guitar with various flautists and violinists over the years out of an old "wedding book", but never knew its history. Did you put it into Eb for purposes of this arrangement, Eugene? Looks like it will lie very nicely on mandolin. Many thanks.

Was this originally for violin and piano? I see some scores on IMSLP with background info.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

7. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Leo37 

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Clausen View Post
    Did you put it into Eb for purposes of this arrangement, Eugene? Looks like it will lie very nicely on mandolin. Many thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Was this originally for violin and piano? I see some scores on IMSLP with background info.
    Yes, originally for violin and piano. Nay, Bruce: it was originally in E-flat. I began thinking about it as an arrangement for my mandolin–guitar duo. However, as I was working to transpose (because E-flat isn't a particularly friendly key to classical-guitar technique in standard tuning), I thought, "Hey, the original E-flat is just fine for violin/mandolin." Thus, I opted to go solo instead.

Thanks for that, Eugene. The arrangements I've played must have been in easy guitar keys. Yes indeed, Eb can be awkward for guitar. I remember struggling briefly with Stingl's version of Bach's Eb Prelude/Fugue/Allegro in the original key (with sixth string tuned to Eb) before giving up and playing it in D like everyone else.

A weird wandering diminuendo across systems in the previous. Here graphically improved.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Paradis-Sicilienne.pdf 
Views:	129 
Size:	292.6 KB 
ID:	181071

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eugene For This Useful Post: