Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Bacon

Default Old Bacon

Hello all, new to the forum. I inherited my Grandmother's old Bacon mandolin, given to her by my Grandfather. It's a 2 point which I gather is the Artist model. It has the number 351 stamped on the top of the headstock. The label is long gone. I believe it's all original. It probably sat in its case in a closet for 40 or more years and is in absolutely marvelous condition. My local guy cleaned it up, adjusted the bridge and put new strings on it. The intonation and action are great. No cracks anywhere. I'll never be a picker but I love strumming chords on it, the tone is beautiful. Anybody know anything about these, such as the year built or materials used? The grain on the back looks like mahogany but I can't be sure.

Default Re: Old Bacon

Welcome to the Cafe.

If you can upload a few photos of front and back I'm sure the many experts here will give you a lot of great information about your mandolin.

Yes, they were made between 1921 and 1924 by the Bacon Banjo Co. in Groton, Ct. They can be very lovely instruments although they don't have the name recognition of Gibson or Lyon & Healy.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Here's a 1924 Bacon catalog with a little more information.
    https://acousticmusic.org/wp-content...24-Catalog.pdf

There was an earlier catalog (1921?) that I've also seen somewhere but can't find at the moment.

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

5. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by druid View Post
    It's a 2 point which I gather is the Artist model.
    The two-point is the Professional model. Here is a 1921 ad showing both models.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CresendoApril21.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	286.2 KB 
ID:	175022
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

7. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Blog Entries

Wasn't some of those signed on the label by William Place Jr.? He was a friend of Lloyd Loar wasn't he, I may be mistaken but Gruhn has his Loar F-5 at the moment? Place must've been a monster player back then I'd guess? I've said it before but wouldn't it be nice if we had some recordings of him, Lloyd Loar etc... There isn't any that I know of, it would be nice!

I just seen the above link to the artist Bacon's and yes Place signed them, too bad your label is missing

Thanks Jim. The 1924 catalog doesn't show the 4-point Artist model for some reason.

Thanks everybody for the info. After studying the grain more on the back, it looks more like birch than maple to my eye, which doesn't really jibe with the 1924 catalogue for a Professional Model. But I've been wrong before! I need to get a new computer before I can upload any pics, the old Mac has a problem with IPhoto these days

I have a question for you wise folks. I want to replace the old tuners but don't want to have to redrill the headstock. Stewmac makes a restoration tuner for old A style mandolins. Anybody know if they're the same tuners that Gibson used. I have to think that Bacon must have outsourced the hardware rather than produce their own.

It might be an idea to post a photo of your mandolin tuners. Here is a video from Stewmac- showing that the tuners are worm under the gear type- as in the 1920s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSVAZThkNAI

Thanks for sharing that video. Mine are the worm under gear tuners so they should fit like a glove.

Here are the tuners of my 1921 Bacon Artist (on right) alongside the StewMac Golden Age ones. I checked the posts and they seem to be very close.

Name:	Tuners-SMGoldenAge-BaconArtist.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	237.8 KB 
ID:	179326
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

15. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

. . . and I thought we'da heard from Old Sausage by now?

I'd love to see the photos too! I think these are cool mandolins!

f-d
    ‘papα gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

17. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

Attachment 180629Attachment 180630Here is my baby, with the Stewmac restoration tuners installed. I'm not sure of the exact year, I've been calling it a '22. They weren't an absolutely perfect fit, the mounting screws didn't line up perfect(toothpick fix) and the holes for the posts needed a little reaming but what a difference as far as tuning and staying in tune. Does anybody else play mandolin fingerstyle? I gave up picks almost 30 years ago when the kids were little and my wife was afraid I'd wake them. That was 27 years before I started playing mandolin. My Martin 12 string really is a cannon, but I haven't used a pick since.

druid: your photos are not attached. Click on the third icon from the right above where you are typing and then find each photo on your computer and upload it.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

a second try
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0003.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	351.1 KB 
ID:	180636   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0516.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	459.3 KB 
ID:	180637  

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to druid For This Useful Post:

Druid, you'll be wanting to send that over my way for a more thorough inspection.

Seriously, I think all of us in this plectral circle (thanks for that advert, Jim!) are happy for you. That's some serious "wow". It is a lovely inheritance!!

Yep, that’s a fantastic piece to have inherited! Play it, play it a lot!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Spain?!
    I’m in France, you may want to send it here. I can inspect it and play it A LOT. Then I’ll get it back to you in another 40 years, no problem.

-that’s a serious mandolin though, I’d suggest doing three or four years of instruction with Peghead Nation, and others, and a Music College and various private instructors for you AND other family members. Then play the instrument at family reunions, Play ‘Liberty’ etc at thanksgiving and winter family holidays.

Go for it. After all this time it has a lot to say, that poor instrument wants to sing!

The ONLY thing I’m not sure about is the name.
    I like pigs, ha, ha!

I’m in Michigan.....

Name- Barb-E- Cue or Oscar Meyer...

Nickname- “Thick slice!”
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Anybody have an idea from the photos what year this mandolin was built? I don't know if there were any changes year to year. It sounds like it was a short production run, '21-'24.

Anybody have an idea from the photos what year this mandolin was built? I don't know if there were any changes year to year. It sounds like it was a short production run, '21-'24.
    You mean this one about hundred years old? It looks better than me!

Quote Originally Posted by Gwen View Post
    You mean this one about hundred years old? It looks better than me!
    You’re joking of course.

-oh, no. So easily I betray my Octave Mandolin!

Almost every Bacon I have seen with date on the label say 1921. Mine is #204 and says 1921.

Here is a list of ones that had serial numbers from my jpeg files:
    051 Amateur
    056 Amateur
    108 Professional
    114 Artist 1921
    156 Amateur emando (Stillion
    161 Artist
    182 Professional - Elderly
    20X Professional
    204 Artist - JG 1921
    221 Artist
    221 Artist
    316 Professional - Chris Rorrer
    319 Professional
    321 Artist
    351 Professional
    424 Amateur
    432 Amateur/Student

I would assume that the higher numbers were later.

Name:	BaconFTBK.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	196.1 KB 
ID:	180683 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BaconArtist-label.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	180684
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

I'll likely never know for sure, not that it's that important, just curious. It's #351. I don't know the year when my Grandfather gifted it to my Grandmother, or whether it was new at the time. I'm just feeling incredibly lucky that it fell to me. I play it every day, connects me to my Mom and Grandmother. Even got to play it at Mom's funeral last year, at her request. "On Eagle's Wings"