Thread: Stationary mic vs. clip on

Default Stationary mic vs. clip on

I'd like to hear some input on this issue from those with experience. I currently am using a stationary PGA81 condenser microphone but am interested in maybe going a different route with something along the lines of an AT35(0). I'm pretty happy with the sound I'm getting with the Shure mic but am just curious if I'm missing out on a better experience with a clip on mic. I'd say the venues I've been playing at lately are less than favorable (background noise, poor acoustics, cramped stage) and sometimes feedback is an issue which is probably more to do with floor monitor placement, but like I mentioned the space is tight and we're usually crammed in there. It's been challenging finding a system that I'm happy with so I'm always eager to learn what I can. TIA
    2017 Gibson F5L
    Northfield Big Mon
    Collings D1AT
    Collings D1AVN Varnish
    Collings D2HGT
    1941 Martin D-18

"Too dumb for New York, too ugly for L.A."

Default Re: Stationary mic vs. clip on

One thing to consider that a mic on a stand allows you volume control by moving closer and further away. A clamp on mic won't let you do that. Are you having trouble with feedback from your mic or others in the band? A condenser may feedback sooner than a dynamic mic, but will allow you to not have to be as close. A mandolin is typically easier to mic than other instruments and a dynamic mic works well. I have gone to a pickup so I get good volume and the benefit of playing easier. A pickup won't sound as acoustic unless you don't need to be too loud then I find, mine anyway, sounds very good and like my mandolin. I have gotten compliments from other mandolin players wanting to know what I am using. K&K, & FireEye pre. My pickup mounting is a little different and may make a difference, but I think most are happy with them using other preamps too.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    One thing to consider that a mic on a stand allows you volume control by moving closer and further away. A clamp on mic won't let you do that..
    Using the stationary mic to control my volume and sound dynamic is probably my favorite thing about it. I often play in a 2 piece with the other guy on vocals and guitar. I switch between guitar and mandolin, we basically run everything separately into the board with the mains on either side of us and a couple of wedges on the floor in front of us
    2017 Gibson F5L
    Northfield Big Mon
    Collings D1AT
    Collings D1AVN Varnish
    Collings D2HGT
    1941 Martin D-18

Where are you at in NE Iowa, I grew up there and now live in SW Wisconsin. Just across the river.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Well ….. think on having a transducer installed in your instrument. They work well in situations where a mic does not. Do they sound as good as a mic …yes , no . that's a matter of opinion. The use of a good quality preamp depending on the system makes a huge difference in tone. You still have the option of playing with a mic when it suits you. But not fighting feedback is worth it. And those times where you can use both you are able to use the mic as a boost by stepping in. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

I agree with Pops1, prefer dynamic mike or a really directional condenser so I can control the dynamics by moving or turning into a mike mounted slightly too the right side off the stand. Don't have monitors facing into the face of the instrument , about 45 degrees to the left or right will drop feedback considerably. Pickups and clip ons force you to learn to control dynamics with your right hand and always changing but is a good thing to learn. IMHO
    Dave
    Heiden A, '52 Martin D-18, Taylor 510, Carlson Custom A with Electronics

Looks like I’m going to stick with my current set up for a bit. I’m not really considering putting a transducer into my Fern.
    2017 Gibson F5L
    Northfield Big Mon
    Collings D1AT
    Collings D1AVN Varnish
    Collings D2HGT
    1941 Martin D-18

Where are you at in NE Iowa, I grew up there and now live in SW Wisconsin. Just across the river.
    I’m in Dubuque!
    2017 Gibson F5L
    Northfield Big Mon
    Collings D1AT
    Collings D1AVN Varnish
    Collings D2HGT
    1941 Martin D-18

I know several Dubuque musicians. You most likely know the Mississippi Band. I am about 1 1/2 hours north of you. I don't get to Dubuque much, but I do get there once in a while. Maybe get together and pick. We have some great musicians here and have some old time jams and open band for a monthly dance. There are some old time musicians that are friends from around Benton and Platteville, they also have open jams occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by rockies View Post
    Pickups and clip ons force you to learn to control dynamics with your right hand and always changing but is a good thing to learn.
    No kidding. As others have mentioned, one of the great things about a stand-mounted mic is you can back away when you want to be back further in the mix. Although having to recreate that with a pickup isn't my preferred way of doing it, sometimes it's the only option and those of us who sometimes have to fight it out in dubious acoustic environments should have that skill. Obviously, playing with dynamic control is important regardless of sound reinforcement. But doing it close-miked or with a piezo pickup just doesn't feel the same as doing it acoustically, it's yet another skill.

I'll add this about clip-on mics: you have to be more cautious about where you wander around, in relation to the various loudspeaker systems in use. You can ring things out at soundcheck and think it's all dialed in until you bend down near a wedge monitor to peer at a set list, or step off to the side closer to another monitor or a FOH speaker and suddenly it's feeding back.

11. The following members say thank you to Andy Miller for this post:

My preamp has a boost switch that I can set to a preferred boost volume. I usually use playing dynamics, but it is there for a solo boost if I need it. It gives me more options and the ability to play easier and still play a solo. Mostly I play easy for backup and harder for solo's, but there are times when the band gets louder it's great to have.

I know several Dubuque musicians. You most likely know the Mississippi Band. I am about 1 1/2 hours north of you. I don't get to Dubuque much, but I do get there once in a while. Maybe get together and pick. We have some great musicians here and have some old time jams and open band for a monthly dance. There are some old time musicians that are friends from around Benton and Platteville, they also have open jams occasionally.
    That sounds good, yes I have heard the Mississippi Band a few times but it's been a while. I'm always looking for opportunities to play with new people, there seem to be a lot of OT jams in this area but not much for bluegrass unfortunately.
    2017 Gibson F5L
    Northfield Big Mon
    Collings D1AT
    Collings D1AVN Varnish
    Collings D2HGT
    1941 Martin D-18

My preamp has a boost switch that I can set to a preferred boost volume. I usually use playing dynamics, but it is there for a solo boost if I need it. It gives me more options and the ability to play easier and still play a solo. Mostly I play easy for backup and harder for solo's, but there are times when the band gets louder it's great to have.
    Me, too. I have used a (Boss) volume pedal but usually use the boost button on my RedEye preamp. I tend to move around a lot on stage and a stationary mic isn't suitable for that. Also, we're a small group and occasionally I have to handle the sound (on the mixer behind me) so, once again, the mic won't work. Both of my Breedloves have internal pickups (Schertler & K&K) and those are my primary instruments.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

I use a shure clip on sax mic. I clip it to the pick guard and place the mic over the bass side F hole. I’ve had to change my touch on the strings in order to balance myself in the mix. No more “stand back and play hard”. A challenge at first but now I can play with more finesse. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
    Using the stationary mic to control my volume and sound dynamic is probably my favorite thing about it. I often play in a 2 piece with the other guy on vocals and guitar. I switch between guitar and mandolin, we basically run everything separately into the board with the mains on either side of us and a couple of wedges on the floor in front of us
    Just another way of looking at things, if there are only 2 of you why do you need monitors if they are causing a problem? For many years bands played without monitors because the technology was not there to make it possible, so now we must use that technology even if it causes problems that we wouldn't have if we didn't use it. Two people on any stage should be able to hear each other regardless of the room noise. Just my opinion.

These days, I typically combine the two. I use an AT PRO35 clip-on, and also have a condenser on a stand that the banjo player and I step up to for solos. I set the the level of the clip-on for reasonable rhythm volume, but I can still move around and use the stand mic for dynamics.
    Mitch Russell

You could go down to one monitor, I play in a duo and one monitor is usually sufficient. I particularly like using a fishman amp or a small amp with 5"-8" speakers. I makes a clean easy to hear monitor with few problems.

We only used one floor monitor when my mandolin + guitarist duo was active. In that situation you really shouldn't need separate monitor mixes.

There may have been a few gigs where it wasn't absolutely necessary, but there were others where it was a big help in hearing each other due to background noise. Playing outdoors is another situation where a monitor can be essential. The open air with no nearby reflections really soaks up sound waves. It's like playing inside a blanket.

We used clip-on DPA 4099 mics on both mandolin and guitar (clipped over the upper left bout of the guitar, near the neck join). Never had any trouble with those mics and they sound great. We mainly were playing Irish traditional music, where there isn't a need for a solo boost. There were a few tune arrangements where we traded off being the prominent instrument, just using picking dynamics to play softer or louder.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Savard View Post
    I use a shure clip on sax mic. I clip it to the pick guard and place the mic over the bass side F hole. I’ve had to change my touch on the strings in order to balance myself in the mix. No more “stand back and play hard”. A challenge at first but now I can play with more finesse. Good luck!
    I guess I don't really have an answer for that haha, I never thought about it. I will reiterate though that when I play in the duo it is usually a pretty loud environment, we play classic country and honky tonk stuff that really gets the crowd roaring by 2 a.m. When I play in this duo I can almost never hear myself in the monitor no matter how much we mess with it, and that's with me playing a D-28 and Gibson F5L, not exactly quiet instruments in their own right. I'm hoping to find a better ensemble to play with eventually but this gig will do for now, I've always been a fan of classic country but it's far from the bluegrass music I like to play when I'm not getting paid
    2017 Gibson F5L
    Northfield Big Mon
    Collings D1AT
    Collings D1AVN Varnish
    Collings D2HGT
    1941 Martin D-18