Thread: Travel / practice mandolin question

Default Travel / practice mandolin question

I have this idea to "build" a practice / travel mandolin that would fit in a small suitcase. It involves buying a cheap solid-body electric mandolin and cutting off most of the body so what's left is a playable mandolin that resembles a 2x4. If I thought I might actually want to play it through an amp (seems unlikely), I might avoid cutting off the parts with the wiring and pots. My question is: Am I a genius or completely nuts?

Default Re: Travel / practice mandolin question

Yes.

Hope this helps

Depending on the model though the electronics may occupy more of the body than you think. For example:

The electronics are under the black scratch plate so doesn't leave much to cut away.

Similarly on a mandocaster:

Plus you may want to have some body left to rest on your knee?

I you're prepared to sacrifice the electronics the mandocaster may be a better bet as it has a fixed rather than a floating bridge.

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

The Mandocaster is a great little instrument. With the right amp settings it can sound remarkably acoustic.While small, it's on the heavy side,if travel weight is an issue.
    I once built the 4 string Saga electric mando kit and it came out pretty well for what it is.I'm thinking you could remove much of the upper bouts of the kit body to save weight.You might even be able to add 4 more tuners and reslot the bridge and nut for 8 strings.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Blog Entries

If you used a strap, you could probably get away with something like this sort of profile or slightly bigger.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lap axe.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	242.7 KB 
ID:	174941
    Collings MT2
    Breedlove OF
    Ellie eMando
    Schmergl Devastator

Thank you for the character assessment. Yes, the fixed bridge would be a major advantage. As for a place to rest my knee, I'm thinking a hotel pillow might serve in that role. Anyway, I have a hard time thinking I'd really like to plug in this monstrosity. After all, I won't be travelling with an amp, and at home I'd practice on a real mandolin. I think I'll leave the section between tuners and bridge and hack away the rest.

If this works out I bet I can get a Chinese company to make them for 35 bucks and sell them at a whopping profit to everyone on the Mando Cafe forum.

Thanks, Markus, and yes - this type of minimalist electric guitar has been somewhat of an inspiration for this project.

The strap idea is a good one. I won't need either a lower bout or a pillow.

You can make electric travel mandolins that are significantly smaller than an acoustic, here's one of mine next to a regular acoustic to show you what I mean:

Name:	small-DSCF5821.JPG 
Views:	101 
Size:	390.9 KB 
ID:	174957

You do need to be careful you don't make them too small though as they're basically impossible to hold!

8. The following members say thank you to Tavy for this post:

Hey, where'd you get that little feller? Is the scale length shorter than a standard mando?

Oops, aren't I embarrassed - that's one of your own mandolins, isn't it? I was talking about taking a cheap mandolin and chopping it up; you are showing me a handcrafted work of art. If I tell you my mum's from Hampshire will you forgive my audacity?

I love the Saga kit idea - I think that would be a lot of fun.

I traveled for years with a Risa Solid. It's basically a solid body uke made out of a single piece of wood. I string it GDAE. It actually sounds pretty good through an amp, although it generates enough sound to be heard in a quiet hotel room. It was great for practice and took up almost no room in my suitcase. If you get one, PM me and I'll give you some tips on it.

Name:	Risa.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	174967

13. The following members say thank you to John Flynn for this post:

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CJHedges View Post
    I love the Saga kit idea - I think that would be a lot of fun.
    I had fun building mine. I eventually got rid of it only because I rarely used it-- not all that useful for Irish music,especially at an acoustic session.
    Looking again at a picture of the Saga kit,I"m thinking it might be possible to saw out a lot of the wood of the body and still leave an outer rim to maintain the profile of the instrument. A sort of skeleton mandolin. I'd leave a strip of the body from neck to tailpiece intact to bear the string tension.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Quote Originally Posted by CJHedges View Post
    Oops, aren't I embarrassed - that's one of your own mandolins, isn't it? I was talking about taking a cheap mandolin and chopping it up; you are showing me a handcrafted work of art. If I tell you my mum's from Hampshire will you forgive my audacity?

I realise it was a little off topic - what I was trying to say was - once you've finished chopping your cheapo down, make sure there's enough of it left to hold on to!

Quote Originally Posted by John Flynn View Post
    I traveled for years with a Risa Solid. It's basically a solid body uke made out of a single piece of wood. I string it GDAE. It actually sounds pretty good through an amp, although it generates enough sound to be heard in a quiet hotel room. It was great for practice and took up almost no room in my suitcase. If you get one, PM me and I'll give you some tips on it.

Name:	Risa.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	174967
    Now you're talking! This is the kind of thing I had hoped would be on the market. The idea of taking an electric uke and stringing it like a mandolin opens up a whole new realm of possibilities. Like this one, for example: the Sojing Ukll-ax2 Silent Ukulele.

https://acousticplanet.org/product/s...ctric-ukulele/

I don't know if the body is supposed to be detachable, but it looks like it's just waiting to come off.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tavy View Post

I realise it was a little off topic - what I was trying to say was - once you've finished chopping your cheapo down, make sure there's enough of it left to hold on to!
    Understood.

I have one of these that I bought for that purpose but I’ve never found strings that will hold GDAE without breaking. Can I ask what you’re using?

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

On a longer scale, I solved that problem for my OM practising with an Ultralight traveller guitar modified as a TG. Fast-wind to 1:17

the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Bertram,
    I am curious. What is the brand on your mandolin? It looks cool. I like the ebony points.
    Eric Hanson
    Click #016/ Born on 2/29/08 - Sold to the next Conservator of this great mandolin!
    The search has ceased! (At least for now)
    Collings A-Style
    White #29R : Oh my!! This one is so AWESOME!!

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Hanson View Post
    Bertram,
    I am curious. What is the brand on your mandolin? It looks cool. I like the ebony points.
    Aria, made in Japan in the 1980s. No truss rod, warped neck.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world