Thread: Modern bridge on a teens Gibson?

Default Modern bridge on a teens Gibson?

I was changing strings on my 1919 A2 today, and had the bridge fell over while I had just the four highest strings on it. In all the hundreds of string changes that I've done on old Gibsons with the one piece bridge, I've never had this happen before. The bridge wouldn't stay up at all with just the treble strings on, so I took the bridge off, put the rest of the strings on, then put the bridge back up. It seems to be fine now, but since this is my only mandolin, and I use it for gigs all the time, it's got me a little worried.
    I'm thinking about getting a Cumberland Acoustics adjustable bridge for it, and wondering if anybody that's done this has noticed much of a change in tone. Thanks!
    Last edited by John Rosett; Feb-17-2019 at 6:41pm.
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters

Default Re: Modern bridge on a teens Gibson?

I don't think I would worry about it. There has been some discussion about liking the sound of the one piece bridge on these, but like all sound opinions it is subjective and personal. I change strings one at a time so this can't happen.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I've changed the strings on a Gibson oval hole with a one piece bridge hundreds of times and never had the slightest problem until now.

John, I think Cumberland Acoustics makes great bridges. I haven't done a change on an oval hole.....but i did change one on a Weber (way back when....Yellowstone Varnish from Greg B) and was very happy with the result.

Get it to Bruce Weber at Montana Luthrie. He’ll put a proper Bridge on it.

What I want to know is why only one mandolin? LOL

7. The following members say thank you to Mandoplumb for this post:

JRG 

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmybikes View Post
    Get it to Bruce Weber at Montana Luthrie. He’ll put a proper Bridge on it.
    Thanks, but there are people right here in Missoula that can do it.
    Last edited by John Rosett; Feb-18-2019 at 9:49am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    What I want to know is why only one mandolin? LOL
    I would like an f hole mandolin to go with it, but I lack the funds. My birthday is this Wednesday if anybody wants to send me one...

Teacher, repair person

My experience has been that changing from a one-piece bridge to an adjustable bridge does change the sound. Some of the one-piece bridges were thicker, some thinner. If yours has a thin bridge, the change in tone might be greater.

I also have not had a problem with the bridge falling over with 4 strings loosened. Your current bridge may need to be re-fitted.

My 1 '22 A still has the original aluminium adjustable top piece, 2nd one , A4, the ebony had a split,

so I got a different upper made.. Alaskan semi fossilized walrus tusk..

Yea refitted or have one made with a wider foot ..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I replaced the original bridge on my 1920 A-2 with a Cumberland and love it. (kept the original bridge of course). I wanted a modified action and did not want to modify the original bridge.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I changed the one-piece bridge on my 1920 A3 to a Cumberland (well, Gail Hester did it). The fit was no problem, she did great work. I just didn't like it. . . buyer's remorse.

I returned to my one piece bridge. Heck, it's been there for the last 99 years. It's been there since I've owned it (but for my experiment). I'll keep it original. I paid the tuition; however. And, now I know.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    I changed the one-piece bridge on my 1920 A3 to a Cumberland (well, Gail Hester did it). The fit was no problem, she did great work. I just didn't like it. . . buyer's remorse.

I returned to my one piece bridge. Heck, it's been there for the last 99 years. It's been there since I've owned it (but for my experiment). I'll keep it original. I paid the tuition; however. And, now I know.

f-d
    F-D, can you articulate why you didn't like it?

This is a timely thread since I found myself slipping a thin little shim under the one-piece bridge on my '14 A. A tiny wrinkle in the neck is causing some buzz this winter and I tend to like the action muy low. Was wondering about adding an adjustable bridge.

I've been head-over-heels with the tone on this so I'm treading lightly. I'm about to ride up to Elderly next week to check out the Ellis A they've got and was thinking of dropping the Gibson off with my man, Stretch, up there. He's an ace, btw.

I know you're an oval hole man so I value your opinion.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Mine's a white face and it wears its white pickguard. I didn't really like the forced adaptation (well done, but. . .) for the adjustable.
    They're heavier.
    It didn't look right (I had already had my A3 for 20 years or better at the time, so that's on me.)
    My neck is stable and I usually don't mess with my action, even when I have an adjustable one.
    I've since gotten to know a good buddy in town (soon to move) who can set up my mandolins to the gnat hair. Heck, he can even build them!

I would likely adapt to an adjustable; however.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

16. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Thanks, FD.
    Yep, I love that whiteface of yours. Wouldn't want to mess with the looks....
    I'm not sure if it is the dry air of winter up North here, but when we're in TX all my wood things feel happier. But mandolin was made in Michigan, so go figure.
    I'll likely stick with the one piece. Slipping that shim in probably took less time than cranking a wheel. My EM150 has an adjustable bridge but that neck has been as always been as true as a Mason-Dixon line.
    I think I should just get myself a '20s oval A with a truss rod and go modern.
    Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

18. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

My '21 A-2 came with the aluminum adjustable bridge, and I didn't like the tone. I made a one-piece bridge out of some persimmon I had hanging around, which worked okay. But living in the East, the humidity in the summer and the dried out heated air in the winter means an adjustable bridge makes life with this mandolin a little more convenient - so I ordered a Cumberland Acoustic bridge and had James Condino fit it, and I find it a significant improvement. I do tend to adjust it when the seasons change, if I notice a little buzz.

Just today I reinstalled the original tuners, which I spend most of yesterday rehabbing. They were really tight when I bought the mandolin, so I ordered a set of Stew Mac Golden Age tuners, which have been on it for a few years now. One of the D strings has gotten really tight, so I reread Paul Hostetler's directions for rehabbing old sticky tuning machines, did the work with some patience, and now they're back where they belong. I really like this old mandolin . . .
    Clark Beavans

Both of my A models have had a lot of work done over the years. So it's not a bother to me that neither has an original bridge. Very happy with the Brekke on the 1910. That looks the part. Have to admit got the idea from a friend who has one on his A. My Jr. has a 2 piece with big gold thumbwheels. Was on there when I got it and no plans to change.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Ward Elliott just did a set up/refret on my 1911 F4. He fitted a new adj bridge and refurbished the original
    so i could use either. i'm using the adj right now but will probably put the original on and keep it there.

a new adj bridge on a teens mando doesn't look good(anachronism),and to my ears doesn't sound as good. maybe psychological.

Teacher, repair person

Replica teens mandolin bridges can be made by a competent luthier. I've made a few. The late teens "one-piece" style [they were actually made in two pieces] is less work to make than the early teens style [with removable saddles].

Smakula Fretted Instruments often has original late teens bridges in stock. They must be individually fitted to the mandolin.