Thread: Anyone have tab or chords for this?

Default Anyone have tab or chords for this?

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Default Re: Anyone have tab or chords for this?

Why not ask about the title upfront instead of making everyone click multiple times just to see your question?
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Phil Goodson For This Useful Post:

Watch his left hand. He is only fretting the A and E strings for the chords and using the G and D strings for drones. It also looks like he is moving the open G shape chord (0023) up and down.

You should play around with moving the G shape up and down the neck and leaving the open G and D strings to drone. I suspect the song is in the key of G or relative to it.

Moving up the neck:
    G 0-0-2-3
    Am 0-0-3-5
    Bm 0-0-5-7
    C 0-0-7-8
    D 0-0-9-10
    Em 0-0-10-12

Play around with that. That what it sounds like to me.

When I first began to learn the mandolin, I hung out with guitar players who were mostly into rock and blues. When they borrowed my mandolin, this is the type of noodling they would do, i.e., not really learning full chords on the mandolin but using these partial drone chords, which sound cool in a rock or blues context. But you can't dance to it.

5. The following members say thank you to James Vwaal for this post:

And then watching a little more closely, I see that he frets a G this way: 0-0-5-3, which may be the root chord in the tune.

So, yeah, switch around your G shape, alternating between 0-0-2-3 and 0-0-5-3. Both are G chords, but they each have a unique sound. Try this: 0-0-5-3, 0-0-7-5, 0-0-7-8, 0-0-5-7, which is G, A, C, Bm. Not saying that is his chord progression, but he is using chords like that in the tune. I only spent a few minutes on this and don't have the time or inclination to work out the song. I like tunes from the Great American Songbook and their use of "rhythm changes" instead of these simple "rock" tunes.

Watching some of his other videos I can see that he is a guitar player, first and foremost, which is what I suspected. Reminds me of Steve Earle, who uses the mandolin in a similar manner, like a rock guitarist.

7. The following members say thank you to James Vwaal for this post:

Thanks to the OP for bringing up this interesting mandolin piece (How Shall A Sparrow Fly, by Ryan Bingham), and to James Vwaal for the chords.

As a player who can only seem to manage the simplest techniques, this was right up my alley.

Does anyone know of any similar pieces to direct me to? Or a source for examples of this or other simple styles?
    Last edited by rfloyd; Feb-18-2019 at 11:58am. Reason: additional information
    Riley

Kentucky KM-250

Guitars:
    RainSong SMH
    Blueridge BR-142
    The Loar LH-250
    Recording King RPS-9
    A Strat and a Tele

Quote Originally Posted by rfloyd View Post
    Thanks to the OP for bringing up this interesting mandolin piece (How Shall A Sparrow Fly, by Ryan Bingham), and to James Vwaal for the chords.

As a player who can only seem to manage the simplest techniques, this was right up my alley.

Does anyone know of any similar pieces to direct me to? Or a source for examples of this or other simple styles?
    There are other rock and blues musicians out there who use the mandolin within that context. Check out these via youtube videos:
    Ry Cooder, blues and slide guitarist but he plays a few tunes on mandolin
    Eva Holbrooke, mandolinist in the band SHEL (her sisters) who plays some Led Zepplin tunes very well
    Led Zepplin, they have a few tunes with mandolin, e.g., The Battle of Evermore
    Steve Earle, guitarist who has written some cool (and simple) tunes on the mandolin
    Jimi Hocking, another rock guitarist who has taken up the mandolin for some Hendrix tunes, e.g.,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcPz5CsTc1E

Lots of youtube videos out there for learning. E.g., https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH7dWLeXtLs
    "Those who know don't have the words to tell, and the ones with the words don't know so well." - Bruce Cockburn

10. The following members say thank you to Teak for this post:

rfloyd