Thread: Nicolas Lanier (1588-1666): Sinfonias for 3 viols

Default Nicolas Lanier (1588-1666): Sinfonias for 3 viols

Nicholas Lanier (1588-1666): Ayres à 3 from OC379-381, Nos. 29/30
    Symphonie VdGS No.1
    Symphonie VdGS No.2

Nicholas Lanier (or "Lanyer") was an English musician and composer of the early baroque period, and was the first to hold the title of Master of the King's Music from 1625 to 1666, as court musician in the service of Charles I and -- after the Restoration -- Charles II, having returned from exile in the Netherlands.

Considering his prominence at the time, his music is very obscure now, compared to that of English composers of the generation before him (Byrd, Tallis, Morley, Dowland) or the generation after him (Purcell). His greater immortality came as a subject of paintings by Van Dyck (whom he convinved Charles I to bring to England) and by William Dobson. Both of these are in the images accompanying my recording, as is a self-portrait he painted.

The only compositions by Lanier at IMSLP are two very short pieces for three viols -- including all repeats they come to under 45 seconds each. I have therefore combined them into a single piece, played as a trio of two mandolins and mandocello. The score is at:

https://imslp.org/wiki/Sinfonias_for...r%2C_Nicholas)

IMSLP has the tenor part in three different clefs (alto, treble and octave treble), which are suitable if the part is played on CGDA mandola, mandolin or OM, respectively. As the parts are so short, I have combined all the parts for both pieces in the clefs I have used onto a single sheet of paper (see attached).

1890s Umberto Ceccherini mandolin
    Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello

Martin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lanier Symphonias a 3.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	139.6 KB 
ID:	174893  

2. The following members say thank you to Martin Jonas for this post: