Thread: Irish Bouzouki as first stringed instrument?

Default Irish Bouzouki as first stringed instrument?

Hi Folks,
    Hope you're all well. I'm hoping to find some guidance on a long-standing question I've had. Is it feasible to start my journey on stringed instruments with Irish Bouzouki, or am I better off getting a handle on guitar or mandolin for a couple years first?
    I have about 30 min./day I can devote to a new musical endeavor.

Quick background: I'm an experienced singer and bodhrán player (Irish trad. and folk songs), performing for 15 or so. Everything I know about music has come from attending sessions and gigging - apart from learning by ear, I have little musical knowledge, other than a couple years of organ/keyboard when I was young.

I absolutely love Irish Bouzouki, especially in the vein of Planxty, et al. My goals (in no particular order) are to be able to:
    -Accompany Trad. tunes.
    -Play Trad. melodies
    -Accompany myself singing
    -Jam with a variety of folk/country-folk/rock musicians

I got a great deal on a 'factory blemish' Gold Tone Octave Mandolin about a year ago. Finally got it out, and tuned GDAD. I've just started checking out the following resources:
    -Roger Landes' 'Hal Leonard Irish Bouzouki Method' book/online videos.
    -Declan Plummer - online Irish Bouzouki resources.
    -'Online Academy of Irish Music' beginner videos.

What I'm noticing right away is that my general lack of knowledge with stringed instruments is a handicap. Any guidance and suggestions on:
    -Forging ahead with Irish Bouzouki, and figure out the missing pieces as I go?
    or
    -Stepping back, get some basics on Guitar or Mando, making use of the wider variety of resources and general musical knowledge before moving to the Zouk?
    Thanks a million

Default Re: Irish Bouzouki as first stringed instrument?

I’d suggest that you learn to play an instrument that you want to play. You’ll be more motivated to practice and will improve faster.

If you then wanted to learn something else you’ll have the background from your first instrument.

As you already have an octave mandolin I’d continue wit it tuned it to GDAD and learn on that. Sound is similar to a bouzouki and the shorter scale will make the fingering easier. Plus compared to guitar 4 courses is easier than 6. I should know I’m struggling to learn guitar at the moment with a mandolin foundation

3. The following members say thank you to OneChordTrick for this post:

Thanks, the desire/motivation factor is a big consideration.

I have a factory blem Gold Tone octave mandolin as well (probably a sibling to yours), it should definitely be able to serve as an Irish bouzouki no problem. If that's what you want to play, I say go for it and not worry about learning guitar/mandolin first.

6. The following members say thank you to Seter for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by RambleTree View Post

What I'm noticing right away is that my general lack of knowledge with stringed instruments is a handicap...
    Before any of us played a stringed instrument for the first time, we all were in the same circumstances.

But you can look at your familiarity with the music as a great asset - especially if you listen very hard.

Sounds like you've got the right instrument for your ambitions.

Only a general observation, fwiw: it's a much better plan to start on guitar, if guitar is ever to be an ambition; just as it is better to start on clarinet and move to sax, rather than the obverse.

8. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

Good luck and keep on working on the OM!! You know the music, which is the main thing. Find someone who plays (OR check out YouTube) to watch the instrument in action (like chords and basic scales) and you'll discover it's perfect for song accompaniment.

10. The following members say thank you to zookster for this post:

I started out in ITM with the bodhran then picked up the bouzouki, so I kind of did the same thing you are doing. I did play banjo some in college but then didn't play a stringed instrument for about 30 years until I started with the bouzouki.

I think the bodhran background helps since you already know a lot of the tunes and probably have some feel for the chord changes. Also you have a handle on Irish rhythms and the feel of Irish music in general.

I do have some regret for not playing the guitar when I was younger. Most of the better bouzouki players I run into seem to have started out on the guitar and/or still play the guitar, and a lot of the skills definitely transfer over. Still the bouzouki is not the guitar, and in a way starting out learning from a zouk standpoint I think frees you up in a way, as I've seen several players who play the zouk in a guitar manner if that makes sense.

Anyway I am still learning and have nowhere near mastered the instrument, but it is a lot of fun. I started out with the Zan McLeod DVD and have also used the OAIM videos.

I say go for it and agree with the above poster that if it is the instrument you are interested in it's probably the one you will work at and do best with.

12. The following members say thank you to Rando7 for this post:

Thanks Rando7, and everyone's encouragement and feedback.
    The only reasons I'm interested in guitar at all are:
    -I would be able to look at a guitar player, and know what they're doing (assuming standard tuning, etc.)
    -The method/music books readily available appear to take you through a broad survey of popular music and related theory, so an 'easier' way to self-teach music in general.
    -More teachers available. I've not come across many serious Bouzouki players/teachers among the seisiuns and Celtic bands in my area.
    -Availability of guitars. No matter where you are, there's usually a guitar within 5 minutes effort.

However - I'm not really interested in being a 'guitar player'. I respect good guitar players (and all mindful musicians), but it doesn't float my boat the way the Zouk, OM, mandola, etc. does.

I have the Hal Leonard Guitar and Mandolin method books/CD's. I wonder if working through those (but obviously using fingering/chords for GDAD) would be a way to get the 'general music education' I'm looking for? That's what seems to be missing from the Irish Bouzouki resources I've found (they're appropriately focused on ITM).
    Thanks again, everyone!

Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chuck Leyda For This Useful Post:

Also,
    It's funny, I've seen Zan McLeod's name mentioned elsewhere on this forum, and I actually have the DVD. I play semi-regularly here in Vermont with the band Gypsy Reel. I have the pleasure of performing with Claudine Langille (tenor banjo, mando, guitar, singer), formerly of Touchstone. We were chatting recently, and she mentioned Zan in relation to Irish Bouzouki. Small world.

Brilliant, thanks!

I love Zan's playing. I got a chance to study with him for a week at Augusta Heritage center back in the 90s.

If you're James Kelly's choice for accompaniment, it don't get much better than that!
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

19. The following members say thank you to Chuck Leyda for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by RambleTree View Post
    The only reasons I'm interested in guitar...
    Not that you couldn't effectively learn all you want on bzki, but there's another good solution if you're inclined: simply also buy $150 used Yamaha gtr and study. But four courses of mndlns are excellent for theoretical study as well.

21. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

In my part of the (German) Irish music world there are plenty of guitarists but very few bouzouki players when it comes to accompaniment. From a chordal point of view, the guitar gives a fine sound, but I think it's harder work to get that open, modal (however you want to describe it) sound which is natural to the bouzouki. This is a personal opinion, as I have a mild arthritis issue, made worse by stretchy guitar chords, and since playing Irish bouzouki it has not been a problem for me. I play GDAE, which suits me best and sounds fine, but it seems GDAD is more often used. Of course, playing melody on bouzouki without a capo is not ideal as the spacing is so wide that your hand has to move excessively, so with your OM you'd be better off in that respect. I go from one extreme to the other, playing melody on mandolin and accompaniment on bouzouki, but since the tuning is the same (for me) I can easily at least pick out tunes on the bouzouki.
    To get back to your question, I don't see much point in focusing on guitar when it's not your goal if your time is limited. It IS certainly useful to observe guitarists in a session to see what chord's they are playing, especially if your learning how to accompany tunes, but for me that was just a by product of already being a guitarist... I think it would take a long time to learn that skill from scratch.
    Finally, another great reason to play bouzouki is because it's visually as well as tonally a beautiful instrument, and looks good in the mix, and gets more interest from observers than guitars do.
    Unless you get a guitar body bouzouki, but maybe I'd better not go there...
    Wishing you joy in whatever you decide :-)
    "What's that funny guitar thing..?"

23. The following members say thank you to Tim N for this post:

Thanks folks, I really appreciate all the advice/insight, especially as it seems many of you have the perspective I've not found elsewhere.
    I do have a guitar on the wall that I've been noodling around with for a while, but when getting down to actually learning and practicing, I've not been that inspired. I also have a roster of 3 or 4 brilliant guitar players I can call on for gigs if I need to.
    Following all of your input, checking my instincts and considering further, I'm going to dive head first into the Zouk (figuratively; they're hard enough to come by, heads and bouzoukis).
    I look forward to making use of the resources you've suggested, and continuing to check in on this forum when I go astray. Hopefully I'll have something to contribute over time.
    For those interested in my other art/music work, I welcome you to check out my site www.RambleTree.net
    Go raibh míle maith agaibh! (Thanks a million)