Thread: Bulmer and Sharpley's Music of Ireland

Default Bulmer and Sharpley's Music of Ireland

I came across this website from a Facebook post the other day. It lists the tunes in the 4 volumes of the Bulmer and Sharpley's Music of Ireland in PDFs, and ABC format with some mp3 recordings (mostly midi from the ABC it seems). A great piece of work capturing a lot of ITM, well worth taking a browse here:

http://www.capeirish.com/webabc/work...ject_home.html

I spent the better part of the evening yesterday combining the individual PDFs for each volume, and added an index for the PDF page numbers. If anyone would like copies, I have them available here. If anyone knows the fine folks who put up these files, I would gladly hand these off so they can be listed on their website.

http://winscore-garfnet.azurewebsite...sharpleys.html
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Gary Leonard For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Bulmer and Sharpley's Music of Ireland

Thank you for sharing a wonderful resource!

Thank you for this. Great resource.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Leonard View Post
    I came across this website from a Facebook post the other day. It lists the tunes in the 4 volumes of the Bulmer and Sharpley's Music of Ireland in PDFs, and ABC format with some mp3 recordings (mostly midi from the ABC it seems). A great piece of work capturing a lot of ITM, well worth taking a browse here:

http://www.capeirish.com/webabc/work...ject_home.html

I spent the better part of the evening yesterday combining the individual PDFs for each volume, and added an index for the PDF page numbers. If anyone would like copies, I have them available here. If anyone knows the fine folks who put up these files, I would gladly hand these off so they can be listed on their website.

http://winscore-garfnet.azurewebsite...sharpleys.html
    Thanks for this post. I will now dig out my dog-eared original copies of the B&S volumes, which I painstakingly hunted down at folk festivals in England in the 1970s. Music shops did not stock them and there was no online in those days. They were a 'labour of love' and can't have made any money for the authors. They were a godsend for those of us in the city centre pub sessions who could not pick up tunes easily by ear. B&S had a knack of capturing the 'tunes of the moment', including those on the latest albums by De Danaan, Planxty and more obscure stuff on Gael-Linn etc.

I did not know the authors, who were denizens of the Leeds (northern England) session scene; I lived in Birmingham (midlands) which, as in Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow, London etc., had several lively Irish pub sessions every week. The B&S books were highly valued, more so than the more academic tune books you could sometimes track down in the local Irish/ Catholic Centre shops in the big cities, and they allowed more young people to build enough repertoire join the session scene. I am sure the B&S books played a key role in expanding the playing of Irish music right across Britain.

I would love to hear how far the B&S books were used outside the UK scene. I imagine a few photocopies were circulated, at least!

Kevin
    Anglocelt
    mainly Irish & Scottish but open to all dance-oriented melodic music.
    Mandos: Gibson A2, Janish A5, Krishot F5, Taran Springwell, Shippey, Weber Elite A5; TM and OM by Dave Gregory, J E Dallas, Tobin & Davidson.

Blog Entries

Well, my intent is to print the pdf's and make some card-stock covers, then have them spiral bound. They will certainly be used.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Thanks for sharing this Gary, great stuff!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Blog Entries

I went to the first link that Gary Leonard (OP) posted and after being stunned at the contents, I started exploring the from that link's home page ( http://www.capeirish.com/ ). There is an astounding bunch of material there. What a resource. Many thanks to Bill Black and to Gary for sharing the link to Bill's pages.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Anglocelt View Post
    Thanks for this post. I will now dig out my dog-eared original copies of the B&S volumes, which I painstakingly hunted down at folk festivals in England in the 1970s. Music shops did not stock them and there was no online in those days. They were a 'labour of love' and can't have made any money for the authors. They were a godsend for those of us in the city centre pub sessions who could not pick up tunes easily by ear. B&S had a knack of capturing the 'tunes of the moment', including those on the latest albums by De Danaan, Planxty and more obscure stuff on Gael-Linn etc.

I did not know the authors, who were denizens of the Leeds (northern England) session scene; I lived in Birmingham (midlands) which, as in Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow, London etc., had several lively Irish pub sessions every week. The B&S books were highly valued, more so than the more academic tune books you could sometimes track down in the local Irish/ Catholic Centre shops in the big cities, and they allowed more young people to build enough repertoire join the session scene. I am sure the B&S books played a key role in expanding the playing of Irish music right across Britain.

I would love to hear how far the B&S books were used outside the UK scene. I imagine a few photocopies were circulated, at least!

Kevin
    I can tell you that the B&S books were used here in St. Paul / Minneapolis. Even as unbound copies stapled together, they are still a treasure among a whole shelf of trad Irish books.

10. The following members say thank you to DougC for this post:

Yep, we use them in the Houston, Texas sessions. Some of us have originals, others have copies got from Mr Black's site. My originals are well worn.
    John Liestman -
    Eye new ewe wood lye kit!