Thread: 1953 EM-200 original red or refin?

Default 1953 EM-200 original red or refin?

From Intermountain Guitar and Banjo:
    http://www.guitarandbanjo.com/invent...ndolins/em-200

The color looks very unnatural to me and too good to be 65 years old, but could just be photo/lighting effects. And they normally had cream binding. The speed knobs look correct for '53-'54.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	g3_9.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	206.4 KB 
ID:	174821

Default Re: 1953 EM-200 original red or refin?

Looks refinished to me. I don't believe they made an EM 200 that color. Or any other mandolin for that matter. I'm not sure how they can justify asking $12,000 for it.
    Chief. Way up North. Gibson 1917 A model with pickup. JL Smith 5 string electric. 1929 National Triolian resonator mandolin with pickup. National RM 1 with pickup. Ovation Applause. Fender FM- 60 E 5 string electric (with juiced pickups). 1950's Gibson EM-200 electric mandolin. 1954 Gibson EM-150 electric mandolin. Custom made "Jett Pink" 5 string electric- Bo Diddley slab style. Jay Roberts Tiny Moore model 5 string electric.

3. The following members say thank you to Chief for this post:

I wish that the pictures were a little more detailed. The black binding(Never seen that on a 50's Gibson) looks pretty funky on the front close up shot. I don't think that Gibson would send an instrument to the NAMM show with workmanship like that.
    Also, it kinda looks like there was a head stock scroll break in the picture of the front of the head stock, but repair visible from the back. These things make me think that it's a refinish with replaced binding.
    Jethro burns had two 2-point red mandolins, an oval hole acoustic, and an F hole electric. Both of them were stained, rather than painted.
    Without some real documentation, I wouldn't pay even a fraction of what they're asking.
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters

Blog Entries

I think I've seen photos of Jethro Burns playing a Gibson A5 (same two point design) of that colour.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Nestlerode View Post
    I think I've seen photos of Jethro Burns playing a Gibson A5 (same two point design) of that colour.

D
    See my post above^^^. Jethro had two 2-point Gibsons, an acoustic oval hole, and a hollow body with F holes and a pickup mounted in the top. Both had red stain finishes, as opposed to the solid red paint of the mandolin in question.
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters

looks nicely done.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture