Thread: Affordable melody banjo options

Default Affordable melody banjo options

Hello everyone. I recently played someone's old melody banjo (I.e. a banjolin with just four strings), and really enjoyed it. I am thinking it might be a good way to be able to actually hear myself at an Irish session. I am wondering what would be the best way to get my hands on something like this. Should I just try to track down something vintage, or are there any affordable options for buying them new or customs made?

Default Re: Affordable melody banjo options

In the vintage market there very few melody banjos available but a lot of reasonably priced mandolin banjos. I converted mine to a 4 stringer by making a new nut. I later altered the headstock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	111.5 KB 
ID:	174818   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	014.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	174819   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0017.JPG 
Views:	112 
Size:	2.13 MB 
ID:	174820  

How about a Gold Tone or Oscar Schmidt (or other brand) banjo-ukulele and tune it to mandolin tuning? Or even an old one—preferably with brackets to tune the head.

These are around and easy to find and some are quite inexpensive.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Yea, might do OK buying an 8 string and modifying it ..

Geared tuners are a must , with short, steel strings ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

As Dusty says, actual 4-string mandolin banjos, AKA Melody banjo, are fairly uncommon. Most have a 13” scale length which is 7/8” shorter than an 8-string mandolin banjo. They were intended as a doubling instrument for violin players, the need didn’t seem to last long hence their scarcity. The single string does cut through the other instruments nicely.

It is not unheard of to simply remove four strings from the regular 8-string mandolin banjo and arrange the strings in the stock nut by offsetting all strings one way or the other. You may have to dampen the unused tuning pegs so they don’t rattle.

Here is the base model Vega style K 4-string Mandolin Banjo for sale. (Vega never used the term Melody Banjo as did Paramount, but it is in common usage today) https://www.banjohangout.org/classified/73505

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C5B1C459-684D-4DA5-AEE1-D7A1386CED87.jpeg 
Views:	139 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	174828

Vega offered five levels of 4-string Mandolin Banjos, most are hard to find especially the fancier ones.
    Style K (no tonering)
    Style Little Wonder
    Style L Whyte Laydie
    Style S Tubaphone
    Style X Tubaphone (larger fancy #9 pot and gold trimmings)

Good luck in your search!
    Mark
    Mark Lynch

There were quite a few makers of these though there are often mistaken for banjo-ukes: Paramount, Gretsch, Lyon & Healy, Supertone (Sears), B&D, Weymann. A friend of mine has two Weymann melody/lead banjos: one with a 15" scale and one a bit shorter. He promised that he would save one for me. What is especially nice about these is they have a 7 inch head. My only mandolin-banjo is a Weymann style 25 with a 7" head and it actually sounds good. I would love to have one of the melody models to match that one.

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    Yea, might do OK buying an 8 string and modifying it ..

Geared tuners are a must , with short, steel strings ..
    Mandroid: If you found a solid, no-name banjo-uke you could remove the friction tuners and put geared ones on it. No one would fault you for that. Frankly there are lots of those banjo-ukes around. Someone should do something with them.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

So: would a four-string Slingerland Maybell with a 13 3/4 inch scale and an 8 1/2 inch shell, be a melody banjo or a ukulele banjo?

Question arises because I have one sitting here next to the computer. (It's not mine, though that could change if I decided I wanted it, and worked something out.) I have it strung with uke strings and tuned CGEA right now; that could change, too...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    How about a Gold Tone or Oscar Schmidt (or other brand) banjo-ukulele and tune it to mandolin tuning? Or even an old one—preferably with brackets to tune the head.

These are around and easy to find and some are quite inexpensive.
    What Jim said.......

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/131353#131353

NFI
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Why you so definite about short steel strings? A Tenor banjo is a whole lot of fun, same fingering as a mandolin,albeit stretched out).Making the transition isn't difficult.
    What kind of music would you be using it for?
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.