Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would appreciate some opinions please.

Default Re: Would appreciate some opinions please.

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Nothing more enjoyable than discussing how to spend someone else's money --

except, perhaps, spending your own money (assuming you have some) on a new mandolin.
    How about others discussing on how to spend their money to buy you a new mandolin? We did want to keep it a surprise, but now you ruined it.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

San Francisco is a great music town, but it's not the mando Mecca. if I had that kind of cash to flash, I'd fly to Nashville and see what's on the racks at Gruhn's and Carter's.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charlie Bernstein For This Useful Post:

buy 2 or 3 ....who wants to eat chocolate ice cream every day ?

6. The following members say thank you to roysboy for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    San Francisco is a great music town, but it's not the mando Mecca. if I had that kind of cash to flash, I'd fly to Nashville and see what's on the racks at Gruhn's and Carter's.
    What about Gryphon Strings, at east while waiting to fly to Nashville? They seem to have a decent selection on their mandolin page.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

8. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Gryphon always has a good selection of Collings, and tries to keep an F5S and a big Mon in stock, as well as a bunch of Eastmans, whatever else is spotty, whatever used stuff walks in. Don't get me wrong, glad they have what they have. Sylvan in Santa Cruz has a few Webers and one or two Pavas, Girouards, and one Ellis A.

If I were to spend 6k on a mandolin, I'd buy used, and if I were selling one, I wouldn't take the hit selling to a dealer. In an economic environment where there are many well healed folks, top dollar is charged in the Bay Area. I might just hop a flight to Phoenix and go to TMS. But alas, pure speculation, not that I haven't entertained the thought of selling three or four guitars, three or four tube audio amplifiers and a turntable or two to raise a Mando war chest.

If I were 500 miles from Austin I'd go there, 500 from Elderly, I'd go there, 500 miles from NYC, go there, otherwise, Nashville here we come.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

10. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWilliam View Post
    Modern: Ellis A5
    Traditional: Duff A5

I like this game
    good choices, but check out apitius if you can find one near you

12. The following members say thank you to ollaimh for this post:

How about Aussies? Gilchrist has a rich full sound (by reputation) similar to what you described.

I have never held or personally seen one though.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

14. The following members say thank you to kurth83 for this post:

I've noticed new Ellis A models are hitting new price point, but you could readily find a used one for your budget. Have a look at Passernig if you can find one, they are excellent as well. Duff A models are traditional power houses. It's been a couple of years since I've seen a Heiden at that price, but they may be out there. Lawrence Smart A would be a great instrument to try as well.

16. The following members say thank you to Mark Seale for this post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Seale View Post
    Have a look at Passernig if you can find one, they are excellent as well.
    You can find one:

http://www.fiddlersgreenmusicshop.co...assernig-a5-92

Please find one so that I don’t find another one.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

18. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jollyflutemaker View Post
    Thanks to everyone for their expertise. To clarify further, I am unable to travel so I'll have to roll the dice. Your opinions are priceless - thank you. Very curious that no one mentions Weber. I had the impression that this was a fairly good brand - whatever you think about or perhaps despite the TOH controversy. Any thoughts?
    I was going to suggest a Pava or a Weber Bitterroot. I think the Pava is louder (at least mine is,) but my Weber Bitterroot is an oval hole, which cuts down the volume IMHO.

20. The following members say thank you to LadysSolo for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    Gryphon always has a good selection of Collings, and tries to keep an F5S and a big Mon in stock, as well as a bunch of Eastmans, whatever else is spotty, whatever used stuff walks in. Don't get me wrong, glad they have what they have. Sylvan in Santa Cruz has a few Webers and one or two Pavas, Girouards, and one Ellis A.

If I were to spend 6k on a mandolin, I'd buy used, and if I were selling one, I wouldn't take the hit selling to a dealer. In an economic environment where there are many well healed folks, top dollar is charged in the Bay Area. I might just hop a flight to Phoenix and go to TMS. But alas, pure speculation, not that I haven't entertained the thought of selling three or four guitars, three or four tube audio amplifiers and a turntable or two to raise a Mando war chest.

If I were 500 miles from Austin I'd go there, 500 from Elderly, I'd go there, 500 miles from NYC, go there, otherwise, Nashville here we come.
    Gryphon Strings is great. Big fan of Steve and his team. If you go there - tell him I said Matt Bruno says hello
    Information on lessons, gigs, and misc musical stuff: www.mattcbruno.com
    Weekly free Mandolin Lessons: www.mattcbruno.com/weekly-posts/
    My gear and recommendations: www.mattcbruno.com/gear-recommendations/
    Cooking fun: www.mattcbruno.com/quarantine-cookbook/

Mando's in use
    Primary: Newson 2018
    Secondary: Gibson F9 2014
    Primary Electric: Jonathan Mann OSEMdc 5

22. The following members say thank you to mbruno for this post:

It depends on what sound you’re going for. But my recommendations would be these in no particular order.

For a custom made mandolin:
    1. Tyler White, of White mandolins. Pinehouse guitars is the company. His mandos start at $4850 for a varnish instrument.
    2. Skip Kelley, kelley mandolins his price starts at $5000
    3. Ratliff Mandolins also Around the $5000 mark.
    4. Jerry Rosa, Rosa String works price starts at $6000
    (These makers are my preferred. And I hope to have a mando from all of them at some point. They have all treated me very nicely.)
    This is just my 2 cents ultimately you must play as many as possible and decided for your self I wouldn’t rule out a Kentucky KM-1500 or a Northfield artist these have been recommended to me and I liked both very much. There’s some great stuff coming out of asia at this time. And there’s an endless amount of great builders out there it’s a great time to be alive for a mandolin player. My budget was also $6000, it was a hard search played around 100 instruments before I decided on mine which I should have in about 2 weeks. I started a similar thread as well. Be assured these guys know there stuff and can help you make a great decision. Are there any mando brands you’re leaning towards? It seems there always is
    Hardwick Bluetone banjo, old Washburn b16 with an rb250 tone ring
    Custom Martin D28, and D45
    Tyler White #12, Eastman MD 815cs, Austin AU657 beater mandolin
    Several violins, eletric guitars, piano, Suzuki bluesmaster harmonica set, and my Dads old trombone from high school.

24. The following members say thank you to AHoyle for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by kurth83 View Post
    How about Aussies? Gilchrist has a rich full sound (by reputation) similar to what you described.

I have never held or personally seen one though.
    Gilchrist mandolins average around 19 K or so, a bit over the OP's price point.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

26. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Kimble makes a fine A5 or two point in that range. Music Emporium has a couple.

28. The following members say thank you to sgarrity for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by AHoyle View Post
    It depends on what sound you’re going for. But my recommendations would be these in no particular order.

For a custom made mandolin:
    1. Tyler White, of White mandolins. Pinehouse guitars is the company. His mandos start at $4850 for a varnish instrument.
    2. Skip Kelley, kelley mandolins his price starts at $5000
    3. Ratliff Mandolins also Around the $5000 mark.
    4. Jerry Rosa, Rosa String works price starts at $6000
    To clarify: I believe those prices above are for F-models. The OP with a $6000 budget is willing also to look at A models as well.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Correct they are prices for F models as that’s all I’m interested in. That’s why I asked what brands he may have already been interested in cause if the op wrote off Collings and Gibson and anything Asian, then they must have another preference of brand already. Those are my outside the box mando brands all of which also make A styles. I just don’t have those prices. If an A Style was what I wanted with a traditional sound I’d go Ellis especially if I couldn’t travel.
    Hardwick Bluetone banjo, old Washburn b16 with an rb250 tone ring
    Custom Martin D28, and D45
    Tyler White #12, Eastman MD 815cs, Austin AU657 beater mandolin
    Several violins, eletric guitars, piano, Suzuki bluesmaster harmonica set, and my Dads old trombone from high school.

32. The following members say thank you to AHoyle for this post:

This just landed in the classifieds.......

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/135569#135569

NFI
    Charley

34. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

2TonCommon
    The Land of Copious and Unrelenting Gnats

Good evening friends!
    Thank you all immensely for your very excellent suggestions and comments. People on this site are truly good folks!
    Here's what I did. I bought my Mom a refrigerator for Valentine's Day. Mandolins come and go, parents are forever. New budget is $5000.00 - still significant. Found a 2015 "New" unplayed Weber Distressed Diamondback from a trusted and most excellent seller. Had the coveted Bruce Weber signature, came with 2 Lakota straps and 3 sets of J74's as well as some picks and free shipping. Oh, also has Weber dampers and humidifier. Showroom condition, zero structural issues. Set up and ready to play. I will attempt to post a pic - probably will fail miserably. Anyone know how to transfer a pic in my inbox to this site? Anyway, I feel like you're all my friends and want to say again, thank you very much.
    Warmest regards and great picking.
    Joe
    "Of all the harm that ere' I've done,
    Alas, it was to none but me."

Goodnight and Joy be to you all!

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 2TonCommon For This Useful Post:

Congratulations on your new Diamond Back! Looking forward to some pics........

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...d+photo+thread
    Charley

38. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

I hope you enjoy it! I enjoy my Weber Bitterroot!

2TonCommon

Yep, failed miserably. Dumb as a turd when it comes to computers. Will once again require the impeccable assistance of my computer savy neighbor. Sorry for the inconvenience.

2TonCommon

Thank you. I'm sure I will. (replying to Lady Solo)

Great suggestions above. If you’re not worried about resale, consider a well established luthier who’s not yet commanding top tier prices, such a Skip Kelley, Ken Ratcliff, or maybe a Pomeroy. Their F styles are all in your budget. My Kelley A5 was less than half of your budget, but holds its own with the big boys. And, I get your tone preference, as I once kept my Silverangel econono over an MT because of its more traditional tone.

Regarding Weber, I own a Yellowstone mandocello that’s an exceptionally built and awesome sounding instrument. I would not throw them out because of the TOH thang (unless maybe I was a personal friend of Bruce’s, which some members are, and I get that). They’re really putting out some nice stuff.

Since you can’t travel, email Dennis at TMS, tell him your preferences, and work out a time that you can call and have him play a few in your range, ranging from top of the line Kentucky up to the 6K point, in a blind test format. Then pick the one you like best and run with it!!
    Chuck

43. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

I would assume that is resembles the one on this page with added option of distressing.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

45. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

2TonCommon

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled.png 
Views:	198 
Size:	4.25 MB 
ID:	175048Here's the new mandolin pic's - you can thank my erstwhile neighbor for his excellent help(thanks Butch).

47. The following members say thank you to 2TonCommon for this post: