Thread: Mando Uke conversion

Default Mando Uke conversion

Take one Eddie Finn 8 string ukulele (the neck is 1.75" wide), and yank nylon strings. Install a selection of Silk'nSteel strings and tune as a mandolin. Set action buttery smooth and low for ease of playing. Sounds utterly sweet...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mando Uke 001.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	174766

2. The following members say thank you to NotMelloCello for this post:

Default Re: Mando Uke conversion

Check your string tension. Lots more stress on body and neck from even XL silk-and-steels, than nylon ukulele strings.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NotMelloCello View Post
    Set action buttery smooth and low for ease of playing. Sounds utterly sweet...
    I'd love to hear it if you can swing a sample clip for some strummed chords

Check your string tension. Lots more stress on body and neck from even XL silk-and-steels, than nylon ukulele strings.
    Been doing guitar repair for 40 years.... I did my research....

6. The following members say thank you to NotMelloCello for this post:

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

At last! A peace-time application of the ukelele!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charlie Bernstein For This Useful Post:

Feeds the myth that a mandolin is just a little guitar. Actually like it a lot, the slotted headstock and wider fingerboard opens up a new dimension for the mandolin. Would love to hear how it sounds.

Nice. I tried the acquila soprano 5ths string on a uke, but broke the E tuning to mando pitch.

I need to get another set and go an octave lower.

Id love to hear that 8 stringer.

============
    ~Music self-played is happiness self-made
    覧覧覧覧覧
    Loar LM-590
    Kentucky KM-272

Already found a problem.... The cheapy tuners must go! But so far, it still plays nicely and sounds good. Always loved the sounds of the mando family. All I lack is a mandola and a mando bass... Sorry - no way to record it or post a clip. Maybe in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by NotMelloCello View Post
    Take one Eddie Finn 8 string ukulele (the neck is 1.75" wide), and yank nylon strings. Install a selection of Silk'nSteel strings and tune as a mandolin. Set action buttery smooth and low for ease of playing. Sounds utterly sweet...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mando Uke 001.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	174766
    I tried a similar conversion on a Vorson 4 string ukelele and had no success. The 17 inch scale made the E string break every time. I tried 0.010, 0.011 and 0.012 without success. The strings I was using were steel for the electric. What was I doing wrong? I would love to be able to use this as a 4 string mandolin.

A 17" scale would be good for a mandola conversion. I think the longest scale I've ever seen on a mandolin is 15" so that extra 2 inches is probably just a little too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Seter View Post
    A 17" scale would be good for a mandola conversion. I think the longest scale I've ever seen on a mandolin is 15" so that extra 2 inches is probably just a little too much.
    I agree with you. The Eddie Finn 8 string ukulele has a 17 inch scale also, so how did NotMelloChello pull this off?

Quote Originally Posted by neilca View Post
    I agree with you. The Eddie Finn 8 string ukulele has a 17 inch scale also, so how did NotMelloChello pull this off?
    Yes, exactly. Did NotMellowCello tune to standard pitch (A=440) or something lower. What is the gauge of those E strings? I want to order an Eddie Finn 8 string so I can try it also but I'm going to wait awhile so you can report on changes as time goes by. If the bridge does not pull off or the top sag at the soundhole or the neck bow, then I'm in. The neck strength should be good because of the 1-3/4" width.

Sorry I haven't been back, guys - computer ate the mother board.

I neglected to mention it was tuned A, E, B, F# from low to high... So, not a mandolin or mandola.... But so far no one can tell the diff.
    My string gauges are 42, 34, 26, 13.... I bought GHS Silk'n'Steel sets. I planned on using Martin M1400's, but they apparently don't make them anymore.

The tuning and tension really agrees with the uke - it vibrates nicely while playing, and has great sustain (compared to a uke).

Looking for new tuning machines - 4 on a plate to fit a slotted peghead are giving me a headache.

I need to narrow the peghead right at the nut as clearance for my fat fingers playing chords way down low, and probably add strap buttons (too fat to have a lap). The real bone nut and bridge saddle made setup easy, and I'm sure helped out the tone a bit. It's just a joy to play, and it's really affordable!

Just a thought about the tuning machines, four on a plate. Stewmac has Golden Age restoration tuners for slotted head 12-string guitar (six on a plate). Using a hack saw you could cut off two of the tuners (two from one end or one off each end) and end up with four on a plate. So depending on the spacing of the posts this just might be a possibility. Since I plan on giving this uke to mandolin conversion a try, if you do not tell us about some structural failure in the next couple of months or so I would probably want to replace the tuners like you do. Keep us posted.