Thread: Old eyes, small tab

Default Old eyes, small tab

Anyone what bluegrass books that have the music (stand,not. and/or tab in pretty large bold print. I’m a beginner and try to work my way through Jack Tottles book but having a heck of a time seeing the music. The notes are hard for me to see and the tab is even harder to see. I’ve taken to photocopying the music and enlarging it, but this is tedious and doesn’t help as much when the print is fine and light.

I like to get a bigger book of tunes but many (even ones with “look inside” dont always show a sheet of music). I’d prefer simple, but not bare bones arrangements. I’d also like to have the contents to be a good representation of iconic bg tunes, o-t, and gospel. Is Parking lot pickers easy to see?

What can folks recommend for the visually challenged?
    Last edited by Bunnyf; Feb-08-2019 at 10:47pm.

Default Re: Old eyes, small tab

As I have gotten older I have tended to read the notes instead of the tab. Yes the numbers are so small and music notation offers more information. If you cannot read music try a pair of loupes or some kind of magnification.

You can see what books are available as ebooks or pdf which you can Control-"+" and maybe having a LED desk lamp trained on the music might help
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

There are some big note mandolin books out there.
    Loar LM-370

“The music is not in the notes, but in the silence between.” ― Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Quote Originally Posted by DocT View Post
    There are some big note mandolin books out there.
    I was hoping someone could recommend one or perhaps tell me if there is a good tune book that just happens to have easy to read music. It doesn’t have to be huge. just somewhat larger, bolder tab numbers.

Blog Entries

You might have luck with a copy shop like Staples etc. They probably can enlarge it nicely while you go have lunch

I was going to suggest a scanner to help convert the book.
    Being older myself I try and find the stuff online then copy & paste to a word file. Once in word I can choose bold, colors font & size etc.

I do not have any direct experience. I Googled large note mandolin song book and got quite a number (one was simple Big as in a big book) of choices, it seemed.
    Loar LM-370

“The music is not in the notes, but in the silence between.” ― Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Couple of things, 1) if you have a printer, chances are good that it scans pages, and transfers it to your computer, from which it is much easier to read,or you can print it larger.
    2) Cataract operation, if you are an older person, you most likely have cataracts, wich dim and impair your vision,
    I had my cataracts removed and intraocular lenses placed in my eyes during November and December,
    the difference is huge, I now have 15 20 vision and everything is extremely bright, I do need readers for close up, with readers the near vision is very clear.
    Here in Canada this we are fortunate, the government pays for it, if you have to pay for it, I believe the cost is $2000 per eye

I agree with gtani7, that good lighting for my "old eyes" is everything, particularly in the evening as my eyes get more tired. I have never needed large print mandolin books (yet,) but god luck in your search.

Thanks to all who have offered suggestions. I looked for a bit before I made this post and got one good hit on a solitary Mel Bay book but was wondering what was out there. Since then I looked again and came upon this …”Parking lot pickers - mandolin solos”-e-version. Only $9 for kindle v.,so I was willing to take a chance…it’s PERFECT! I love the selection and can see the tab. Just the right degree of difficulty for me (early.adv.beginner). Just wanted to pass that on to anyone who might be having the same problem.